Casting on socks.....

nakigal
TNN nerd

Casting on socks.....

Post by nakigal » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm

So tonight I thought I would cast on my first pair of socks, but I have spent the last 30 mins watching you-tube videos of double needle long tail cast on. I get all of it except the "roll your needles" bit........ whatever I try I can't make it work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a different cast on suitable for socks or somewhere with a GREAT video.

Failing that I will try and get into Knit World to see if the ladies there can help me.

:help:
Deborah
Mum to DD1 J 31/08/07 and DD2 P 06/10/09 - my two little princesses, and now a wee prince DS1 C 04/04/11

RachaelD
TNN nerd

Re: Casting on socks.....

Post by RachaelD » Tue May 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Toe up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBIS0Ah ... ata_player this is the magic cast on and is brilliant.
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

Chooky
TNN guru

Post by Chooky » Wed May 09, 2012 8:53 am

I just cast on normally, no worries :)

nickers
TNN nerd

Post by nickers » Wed May 09, 2012 9:11 am

Chooky wrote:I just cast on normally, no worries :)
me too, but on two needles, so hold the two needles/tips together alongside each other, and cast on over both needles/tips (hope that makes sense).

Then when you have the required amount of stitches, just slide/pull one needle out and you are left with nice big stretchy stitches.

nakigal
TNN nerd

Post by nakigal » Wed May 09, 2012 11:33 am

nickers wrote:
Chooky wrote:I just cast on normally, no worries :)
me too, but on two needles, so hold the two needles/tips together alongside each other, and cast on over both needles/tips (hope that makes sense).

Then when you have the required amount of stitches, just slide/pull one needle out and you are left with nice big stretchy stitches.
I think this is what I'm trying to do, well basically anyway :lol: The video I have been watching is a little like the standard long tail cast on, but she says to roll the needles. Might just give it a go without rolling the needles and see what I end up with.

I'm knitting the Vanilla Sock. Not sure if this is a good pattern or not, as I said, it is my first sock attempt and I have some lovely varigated yarn that Emma dyed so didn't want a patterned sock.

Will give it a go.........
Deborah
Mum to DD1 J 31/08/07 and DD2 P 06/10/09 - my two little princesses, and now a wee prince DS1 C 04/04/11

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”