AliG - and other dyeing folks

Minty
TNN oracle

AliG - and other dyeing folks

Post by Minty » Wed May 30, 2012 4:48 pm

One of the pots in your cool photo in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=80195&hilit=dye+aluminium+pot

...looks like it might be aluminium. The large one at the back.

I keep reading everywhere that you shouldn't use aluminium because it might affect the colour, but after op shopping in three places today the only large pot I managed to find was a large aluminium one (so I bought it). :lol:

So, before I rush out and buy a large stainless steel one, I thought I would check whether anyone uses aluminium without too much problem. This will be for my first attempt with the powder dye (previously only used food colouring), and exact colour is not critical at all.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

rootoo
TNN guru

Re: AliG - and other dyeing folks

Post by rootoo » Wed May 30, 2012 5:27 pm

i don't know how it might affect the colour of the yarn, but i do think it might cause some issues for the pot with the acid and whatever is in the dyes staining the pot perhaps?

I got my big stock-pot from kmart at the palms for something under $20, stainless steel and big enough to do 600g of yarn, so far...haven't tried more in one go yet :lol:
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

Khai
TNN oracle

Post by Khai » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 pm

I have a cheap stock pot I got from The Warehouse for $12, I assume it's aluminum as it's fairly light, colours seems spot on and it doesn't have any damage despite me sometimes not washing it straight after use.

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 pm

I use that large pot for dyeing all the time. I haven't had any issues with the dyes and yarn - they've all dyed up perfectly with no damage to the pot that I can see. I do sometimes get dye residue on the pot, but it cleans off with no problem. I picked it up from my local tip shop for about $3 so it was definitely worth it for me :lol:
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Excellent thanks everyone :) I thought it might be one of those things that if you need things 200% perfect then avoid aluminium, but most of the time it's probably fine.

Will give it a try myself (with my $4 pot :lol: that's inflation for you :wink: ). Going to dye up my Dolce beret (which is already knitted). Excited. \:D/

Good to know where I can try to get a cheap SS one too Rachael, if it all goes pear-shaped.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Wed May 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Yay! Have fun :D. I really love dyeing yarn :vibes:
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu May 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Woot woot, I am now the proud owner of a rich, chocolately-red Dolce beret. Very pleased with how my first attempt went, can't wait until it dries so that I can wear it. :D

The pot was fine other than a disturbing vibration while it was warming up until I wedged a handle with a wooden spoon (ceramic top oven, ever so slightly convex bottom to pot). 8-[

Thanks for all your help :vibes:
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Thu May 31, 2012 5:44 pm

I only use stainless steel, I've heard of other people using aluminium that has reacted with the vinegar and gradually developed a hole; which has then meant a big mess with dyed floors etc. The pot I use used to be my jam making pot till it boiled over and I got a bigger one for jam. I believe it can also muddy some colours; I've never used an aluminium pot so haven't experienced that.
I have separate pots and utensils for dyeing which are kept in the laundry so that Dh doesn't use them by accident. I don't use food safe dye so can't afford for them to get mixed up.
I also have a steamer that I use instead of the microwave as you shouldn't use a dyeing microwave for food. My steamer has never been anywhere near food.
I've got a separate candy thermometer too; that's been really handy to have.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu May 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Oh that's interesting Rachelle. I can't imagine I'll be dyeing enough to wear a hole in my pot (not before the vibrating does my head in and I replace the pot with a stainless steel one :lol: The vibrating would probably wear a hole before the vinegar 8-[ ).

I'm building up my separate utensils (one pot, bowl and spoon, all second hand), but I don't want to go nuts, as storage space is an issue, as well as the excess factor. I just want enough to make good use of the plain yarn and acid dyes that I now have.
I also have a steamer that I use instead of the microwave as you shouldn't use a dyeing microwave for food.
I've seen lots of tutorials for dyeing using acid dyes in the microwave, and none that I've seen specify that you need a separate microwave. I guess if you're dyeing all day long maybe there's a slim risk of something, but if its very occasional, I can't imagine that using the microwave presents much of a problem. The microwave isn't getting splattered with dye, and I don't wipe my food around it before eating it either. Seems kind of excessive for the occasional home dyer.

OK, tell a lie, I have now found a couple of sources recommending a separate microwave. I dunno, wondering if it is overly cautious myself?
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Thu May 31, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm tending to be fairly careful, my microwave stank of Kool Aid for a while after using it for dyeing with that. I'd rather not take any risks if they're easily avoidable. I got the steamer on a really good special.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 pm

Oh that's interesting. I never noticed any lingering smell using Wilton dyes (with vinegar), but maybe that is just because the food colouring isn't as strong without the flavouring? If I was doing heaps I would think hard about it but at the moment I'm dabbling, and will probably be mostly using the pot, or at least a pot. :D
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Khai wrote:I have a cheap stock pot I got from The Warehouse for $12, I assume it's aluminum as it's fairly light, colours seems spot on and it doesn't have any damage despite me sometimes not washing it straight after use.
I have the same pot :lol: works beautifully :D
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

Khai
TNN oracle

Post by Khai » Thu May 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Oh, DH just said it's stainless steel. Though I'm always right so maybe not. :rotfl:

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:47 pm

:lol: yip they are SS :lol:
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Aluminium pot still working a treat. Dyed up two of these this morning for a wee project for one of the girls.

LOVING the powder dyes, they are so concentrated.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”