bamboo needles - any one tried them

Anthea
TNN nerd

bamboo needles - any one tried them

Post by Anthea » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 pm

does anyone knit with bamboo needles? I've spotted a set of bamboo circulars, but have never tried bamboo needles. does anyone have a pair? what are they like to knit with?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/crafts/knittin ... 988297.htm

ksjc
TNN nerd

Re: bamboo needles - any one tried them

Post by ksjc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:06 pm

I bought a set that looks similar when I was learning to knit 2 years ago and while I prefer the interchangables I.ve got I don't find anything wrong with the cheap bamboo ones, especially considering I paid $20 for every size between 2mm and I think 10mm lol
Kelly, Mama to S 01/06, J 05/08, C 11/10 and C 07/12
Was beautymama03 :)

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:04 pm

sweet, might just do me then! i don't knit a lot, so can't justify the price of a new set of addies or similar for each project. thanks :D

j-j
TNN guru

Post by j-j » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:30 pm

I had some and hated knitting with them tbh. You're better to invest in good needles, bad ones can make you stall big time.
Julia - Knitting nut and mum to 3 delicious children: DD - 9, DS#1 - 7 and DS#3 - 5

Knitting Pattern Designer of The Little Rascals, Poplar, Katniss, Primrose, Greyson patterns - available HERE

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:46 pm

What are you intending to knit with them?

40cm length is reasonably restrictive in what can be made... it's the kind of length that does baby torso/waist but not arms/legs and not long enough to magic loop (even if the cable was genuinely flexible enough)

I have a bamboo circular that I brought when I needed a specific size needle that I haven't needed before (or since!) and it was ok to knit with. I liked bamboo as a beginer knitter as it is grippy and the stitches don't slide off (would be a PITA if you were a tight knitter).

Generally though I love Addi's and Knit pro.

If you intend to mostly knit say DK/8ply (or 10ply) then you probably only need two tips and two-three cables. (one size tips for normal knitting and one size for ribbing)

You could do an ISO and see what people are wanting to destash in your needed sizes :D
Lisa

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”