Beginner knitter

teezeez
TNN nerd

Beginner knitter

Post by teezeez » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Ok, I've decided to learn to knit properly (something other than a holey scarf :twitch: ) I'm loving all the beautiful patterns and woolies out there and would love to be able to knit for my little man.
What size needles would be best to start with? And can someone please point me in the direction of some simple but cool (free) patterns, what sort of wool is best to use? Also any other pointers would be fantastic, remember i am a total green newbie but a very determined one lol :)
Toni
Mummy to 3 beautiful boys

Nathan-11-05-03
Levi-04-11-05
Daniel-07-07-12
and..

Find me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/TeezeezBaby

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Re: Beginner knitter

Post by Foxtrot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:42 pm

I started knitting about 6 months ago and now I'm completely hooked :D I think probably 8ply (also known as DK) yarn and 4mm needles would be a good place to start. Do you know what you want to knit? Something for you or baby clothes? If you join Ravelry at http://www.ravelry.com (it's free to join) you can trawl through the patterns there and there are loads of free ones.

This pattern isn't free http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/milo-3 but it was the first thing I ever knitted that wasn't a scarf and I found it good for a beginner. Really easy to follow instructions, you learn a few techniques like cabling and making stitches and it looks good when it's done.

Also - if you have trouble understanding any technique just google it and there will be a YouTube video showing you exactly how to do it. I found this really helpful with my early projects.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Agree with Bernadine - generally speaking you'd use 4mm needles for 8ply yarn and 4.5mm needles for 10ply yarn. Milo is a great beginner pattern for knitting in the round, but maybe the Pebble Vest would be a good starting pattern. It's knit flat, so can be knitted on straight needles, and is free.

Good luck - once you start you'll be hooked!
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Ooh I also forgot to say that I would just get circular needles if I was you. I think every pattern I have ever knitted has been done in the round (most modern patterns for baby tops and jumpers seem to be anyway) and if you find a pattern for a cardi or something that is knitted flat you can still use the circulars - just knit the rows back and forth on them instead of round and round.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

Taylas_mum
TNN nerd

Post by Taylas_mum » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 am

Agree with what has been suggested here. Pebble is a good wee vest if you would prefer to stick to knitting on flats or milo if in the round (can do with or without a cable). There is a great wee step by step hat pattern on here (callums godmothers hat I think?) which is what I used as my first project. It is extremely well written and such a cute wee hat :D It is knitted on flats
Emma
Knitting-mad mummy to Tayla (7) Kade (4.5) and Reid (2)
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Taylasmum

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”