Need Coverstitch tension advice please

nickers
TNN nerd

Need Coverstitch tension advice please

Post by nickers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm having a play with my new machine, reading the manual it advises to tighten or loosen the tension dependant on whether your stitch might be too tight or too loose - but doesnt say which way is tighter or looser.

I'm assuming turning the tension dial towards 5 loosens the stitch and turning the tension dial towards 1 tightens it, based on what my testing tells me, just want to make sure :oops: :hide:
Thanks.

peekaboo5
TNN nerd

Re: Need Coverstitch tension advice please

Post by peekaboo5 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi There
I have a ajnome 1000CPx and mine is the opposite. 1 is looser and 5 is tighter hth

nickers
TNN nerd

Post by nickers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Thats what my machine is - a Janome Coverpro 1000 CP (but not the x), I should have mentioned that on the OP.
So I've got my tension adjusting around the wrong way then, the problem I've been having is in the manual to adjust the tension the recommendation is to tighten or loosen the top stitching needles and to do the opposite with the looper. So when you make a change I'm finding it abit hard to work out which is the right way, as its two opposite adjustments - if that makes sense.
I must write that in the manual then.
Thanks heaps for your reply :D

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 pm

I have that machine, the 1000.. and the 0-1 is the loosest. Sometimes the tension can get all mucked up if you have the presser foot tension too tight. Have you loosened that right off? (its the nob on the top)

peekaboo5
TNN nerd

Post by peekaboo5 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:23 pm

There are lots of threads on here that I have found useful. If you just search for coverstitch. Also http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com/20 ... stuff.html I found this interesting also.
When I am coverstitching and I don't know where the tension should be I always start with the lower looper on 1 and then adjust the others from there. :D

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”