Post by grizle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 am

Ask kiley...claude30 :wink:
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Claude30
TNN guru

Re: bleach tees

Post by Claude30 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 am

Okay try again.

There are some tutes on pininterest http://pinterest.com/klaude/embelish/ but I have found them easy enough not to need a tut, heres some of the ones I have done recently http://craftingdownunder.blogspot.co.nz/

But here is a basic tut of how I do it.

1 - chose image (google stencils or templates or use some of the sites off my embelish page)
2 - decide how you want image to look - either the image bleached or the shirt around it bleached - ie - this is same image
ImageImage
3 - Now there are lots of reccomendations for what to use as your stencils but I just cut mine out of durasel - I print image and glue it to the paper on the back and cut it out.
4 - Using card or foil or junk mail place a good layer in the center of the shirt and pin shirt so it wont move - I use a piece of card and about 5 or 6 junk flyers just to make it sturdy. You could use a piece of board with foil on it too.
5 - Stick durasel image to t-shirt

When actually bleaching I like to do it outside and have found I get best results in direct sunlight when its really hot. Rainy or overcast days I have used my hairdryer for extra heat.

6 - Decide what method of bleaching you are going to do - blot, paint or spray and get everything ready, dont forget the rubber gloves and old apron to wear.
7 - Now bleach - dont wet the tee too much or it will run - just keep bleaching till you get desired effect.
8 - peel of durasel and wash tee
9 - hang to dry and thats it your done.

Any left over bleach dont leave stored in a plastic container, it goes yuck. I dont dilute my bleach unless spraying and I am just using off the shelf standard cheap cleaner with bleach.

If you look at my blog wk 3 the first 2 are sprayed the 3 and 5th blotted and the 4 and 6th painted. I have also discovered you can use stickers for letters, stars etc

HTHs
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

khef
TNN addict

Post by khef » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 am

Claude30 wrote:Okay try again.

There are some tutes on pininterest http://pinterest.com/klaude/embelish/ but I have found them easy enough not to need a tut, heres some of the ones I have done recently http://craftingdownunder.blogspot.co.nz/

But here is a basic tut of how I do it.

1 - chose image (google stencils or templates or use some of the sites off my embelish page)
2 - decide how you want image to look - either the image bleached or the shirt around it bleached - ie - this is same image
ImageImage
3 - Now there are lots of reccomendations for what to use as your stencils but I just cut mine out of durasel - I print image and glue it to the paper on the back and cut it out.
4 - Using card or foil or junk mail place a good layer in the center of the shirt and pin shirt so it wont move - I use a piece of card and about 5 or 6 junk flyers just to make it sturdy. You could use a piece of board with foil on it too.
5 - Stick durasel image to t-shirt

When actually bleaching I like to do it outside and have found I get best results in direct sunlight when its really hot. Rainy or overcast days I have used my hairdryer for extra heat.

6 - Decide what method of bleaching you are going to do - blot, paint or spray and get everything ready, dont forget the rubber gloves and old apron to wear.
7 - Now bleach - dont wet the tee too much or it will run - just keep bleaching till you get desired effect.
8 - peel of durasel and wash tee
9 - hang to dry and thats it your done.

Any left over bleach dont leave stored in a plastic container, it goes yuck. I dont dilute my bleach unless spraying and I am just using off the shelf standard cheap cleaner with bleach.

If you look at my blog wk 3 the first 2 are sprayed the 3 and 5th blotted and the 4 and 6th painted. I have also discovered you can use stickers for letters, stars etc

HTHs
This is cool!! Have to try it out :D

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Yip there is nothing like purposly wrecking good ts

And if anyone comes across bleach pens in the supermarket can you let me know which one as I can find one and I want one for my purple cake day fundraiser t as I need some very fine detail.

Another thing I have learnt is fabric markers come in handy for when you get runs or you want to add extra detail. Spotlight has a good selection for a good price.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

MrsTwoTwo
TNN nerd

Post by MrsTwoTwo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:19 am

great idea!ive also heard you can use the bleach pens and do writing etc. you can get them at the supermarket
Julia; mummy to a beautiful scruffy 7 year old
and my special 4yr old little man!!!
Ruby and Jade my two little Gemstones are now here!!
2x :angel: :(

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:20 pm

You could refill a brush pen or felt tip with bleach if you can't find one.

Like this. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-1-Waterbrush/.

Or I've seen one where someone refilled felts with icing colors for decorating cakes and used some method for removing the ink.
Image Image

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 pm

sjl wrote:You could refill a brush pen or felt tip with bleach if you can't find one.

Like this. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-1-Waterbrush/.

Or I've seen one where someone refilled felts with icing colors for decorating cakes and used some method for removing the ink.
I know kiley tried using a cheap paint brush, she said the bleach ate through the brisles and she said the end result wasn't as good.
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Yeah the bleach eats my good brushes too. I found a bleach pen at the $2 shop yesterday so going to give that a go. And had alreday thought about getting a kids felt and bleaching it and filling it and seeing how that works.
Image Image

khef
TNN addict

Post by khef » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Claude30 wrote:Yeah the bleach eats my good brushes too. I found a bleach pen at the $2 shop yesterday so going to give that a go. And had alreday thought about getting a kids felt and bleaching it and filling it and seeing how that works.
I found one yesterday too, came home and tried it, it did NOTHING! hope yours is better :D

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”