Quilt batting & sizing help

Dunners
TNN oracle

Quilt batting & sizing help

Post by Dunners » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 am

I'm working on my first proper quilt 8-) It is for James, single-bed-ish sized. I found on a website dimensions for beds and recommended overhang when making a quilt. I am aiming for approx 60" wide by 90" long (nothing like diving into the deep end with a new project 8-[ I hope I can fit it through my machine or I'll be begging the lovely Quilting-Queen to finish that part for me :wink: )

Batting-wise, how do I choose a batting? Do you recommend I by batting by the metre off the roll, or pre-cut bed size? I do know that I would prefer a cotton/bamboo batting over a polyester one.

Before I can cut sashing for my 9-patch i-spy blocks I need to make sure I'm making it the biggest I can for the batting (don't want to waste any width or length if it's a precut size). I am not familiar with the standard width(s) of rolls available nor pre-cut size(s) available.

Finally, is Spotlight the cheapest place to get batting? I wish I'd grabbed some when they had 30% off last week, but I didn't really know what I was shopping for (and was all consumed by the wedding finishing touches).

Any other advice?
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

RachaelD
TNN nerd

Re: Quilt batting & sizing help

Post by RachaelD » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 am

For my large quilt I bought a pre packaged queen sized cotton backing pack from Spotlight, when it scanned it was heaps cheaper than what was on the label so it worked out quite cheap. I would wait for another sale, it probably won't be long.

My quilt was over 2metres square and it fitted through my normal sewing machine, the middle bit did get a bit tricky but not as bad as I thought it would be.
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

inkypinkyponky
TNN addict

Post by inkypinkyponky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 pm

I would wait for a Spotlight sale, they're cheapest and easiest. Best is when those $40 off when you spend $100 vouchers coincides with a 20% off batting sale :) There's 20% off batting fairly frequently. I buy mine (cotton or cotton/bamboo blend) off the roll. If you have left over strips, you can join them with a wide zigzag for a matching cushion or something.

I made my boy's single bed quilt to be 60" by 72" I think - sits nicely on the bed, hangs just below the mattress on the sides and at the end. If you've got a footboard at the end of the bed you probably don't want too much to tuck in. If it's not big enough you can always add a border!
Katherine
Mummy to G (08/11), M (08/13) and stepmum to M (05/04)
Finished projects - lemonhoney.weebly.com
Doing 100 things as a family this year - daymakers.weebly.com

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 pm

I usually buy the polyester stuff off the roll here, you can get different widths and buy the length you need. I bought some cotton stuff from Spotlight when finishing a quilt while waiting for DS to appear, but it isn't very warm compared to the ones with the poly batting, even after being washed and dried in the drier, so I probably wouldn't use cotton again because of that factor.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:38 pm

I buy mine by the roll and would love to sell you some cheaper than spotty (but postage would negate the savings). I only use cotton or wool. I love bamboo but have been put off by the ultra processing to get to to that stage, plus it's a bit thinner than cotton. If you can get it on special at spotty it would be a good deal :wink: I only have a 6 inch arm on my machine and can quilt up to 2.5m x 2.5m. You will need to decide what kind of quilting you'd like. I do find it easier and faster to do free motion squiggles than straightline quilting. Practicing on a a smaller quilt to start with is a good idea, just using scraps to make a sandwich or making a baby quilt to practice on (maybe a couple of doll quilts?).

It is totally doable on your machines.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks ladies! How very reassuring to me to read what you've said.

Viv, out of curiosity, how large are the rolls and how much are they? I have promised each of the kids a quilt, and want to do one for our super king sized bed too if I can manage it under my machine. So that would be a fair bit of batting for me to need to get my hands on if I were to make all those. Just wondering if the roll would be worth getting (and sharing amongst other Chc quilters like Rachael above?)

I have a niece on the way, and thought I'd make her a wee quilt too. Maybe I should skip to making that as a free quilting practice? I sense a new addiction happening 8-[ I've really enjoyed helping James' plan his one. Emily has hers planned & waiting (don't have the right fabrics so again am waiting for a sale for quilting cottons).

Oh, and the boys beds are a funny shaped single, they're longer than the standard, but slightly narrower as the mattresses zip together to become a double/queen-ish sized bed. It's a standard innersprung mattress with base, no footboard to worry about.

Right Spotlight, where's this sale I need? :lol:
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”