Iron on Pellon?

NPMum
TNN nerd

Iron on Pellon?

Post by NPMum » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:50 am

http://sewpretty.co.nz/little_downtown_ ... e=downtown

I have seen this pattern for a jacket, it is more than I would usually want to spend on a pattern but figure if it can be used for 5 winters then it is worthwhile.
It uses
"200cm light-wight iron-on pellon (h630) (90cm wide)"

The quick google search I did came up with it costing $19/m
Which would be nearly $40!!! for each jacket + the cost of other materials

I sew to save money so this would be prohibitive for me.

Is it just interfacing? Can I do without it? Can I use something else? Where can I buy it cheaply?

Thanks

peekaboo5
TNN nerd

Re: Iron on Pellon?

Post by peekaboo5 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:35 am

Iron on Pellon is a oam wadding that has an iron on backing. It is not cheap. I think you could just use a light weight wadding but you would have to quilt it. Sorry not much help.

annmaree
TNN convert

Post by annmaree » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:12 pm

You could use the prequilted wadding that you can get at spotlight. I have used it before for shoulder bags in place of iron on pellon and found it to be quite good.

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:14 am

You can also find pre-quilted lining fabrics to use instead of a plain lining plus fusible fleece.
You could also use a polar fleece fabric as an inside layer - just cut the lining fabric and fleece layer together and sew up as though it were fused (keep a few pins in the middle to hold them together. An extension of this idea is to actually stitch your lining fabric and the fleece together to make your own quilted lining- you only need a few lines to hold each section together - a couple of lines down the centre of the arm piece, some across/down the back, etc. Or if you felt adventurous you could make the stitching as complicated as you like.
Polar fleece is easier to work with when doing this asa opposed to quilt batting/ wadding as it doesn't get caught up in the machine as you stitch.
Image Image

NPMum
TNN nerd

Post by NPMum » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
The Iron on is $17.99 at spotlight and not in the sale this weekend :(
I did see some non iron on for around $8/m I suppose I could quilt it on but would rather not as I think it would change the look of the jacket quite a lot
I know the quilters spray adhesive comes out in the wash.
Does anyone know if there is a permanent version of this? I suppose it might stiffen the fabric though?

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 pm

They have it at fabric .com if you want to join Krisha's co-op. :wink:
Haven't done the conversion to work out NZ dollar price though

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.asp ... 2bf3c14953

I'm not aware of any permanent spray on fabric glue sorry. The closest thing might be heat'n'bond type products - like you use for appliqué but that would also be spendy.
Image Image

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”