Minky slipping..

shan01
TNN addict

Minky slipping..

Post by shan01 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 am

Is there any product i can use to hold minky and cotton together while I sew? Like a non slip spray or something? I pin pin pin but the minky always gets stretched out underneath the cotton and ends up bigger.

Advice please? What am I doing wrong?
For example, im making a snuggly blankee, 50cm by 60cm, and the minky can end up up to 10 cm longer?

Natty
TNN guru

Re: Minky slipping..

Post by Natty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 am

I find it helps when I am pinning it together to lay my minky ontop of my cotton, rather than cotton ontop of minky.
Also, can you adjust the pressure of your sewing machine/overlocking foot? If its looser, and your guiding it through by hand, rather than the feed dogs doing all the pulling it helps prevent the minky from stretching
Natalia, Mummy to 2 beautiful Princesses,Nina :princess:(09-05-07) and Olivia :princess:(07-11-08)

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:59 am

Its a common problem! Walking feet help heaps. Otherwise pinning sideways every few cm and actually sewing over the pins , and adjusting foot pressure. Have you tired both ways up (minky on top vs cotton on top)? My machine is better one way than the other.

ditto
TNN guru

Post by ditto » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am

Quilt basting spray.
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:02 am

A walking foot is awesome. And lots of pins.
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

shan01
TNN addict

Post by shan01 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks everyone :) Got a few new tricks off you all to try out.
No walking foot, but im sure I can adjust the presser foot pressure somehow. Will try minky on top as well

piggywiggy
TNN nerd

Post by piggywiggy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:33 pm

With other stretchy fabrics I have glus sticked them together with non toxic water based glue stick (I think I was making bibs) and it just washes out in the first wash - cheap as chips :)

just had a thought - might not work if you were sewing right sides together though... I was sewing wrong wsides together and then binding.
Catherine
Working mumma to D (march 08) and N (dec 10)

inkypinkyponky
TNN addict

Post by inkypinkyponky » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Instead of pinning try binding clips - like snap hair clips, they are sold for quilting but I find them much easier than pins. Especially when sewing PUL, although not your issue here :)

Cut the minky and cotton at the same time, pref. with a rotary cutter on a cutting mat, and pin without moving it - that helps to not stretch the minky. Pin very close together.

You can get from Spotlight two kinds of spray - repositional applique and embroidery spray, and the slightly heavier basting spray. Both help hugely.

If you don't have a walking foot, try putting the stretchier fabric on the bottom so that the feed dogs help to move it through. Oops, just saw that that's opposite to what other people said - I guess try both and pick what works for you!

Hope everyone's tips help :D Sewing minky (or even worse, coral fleece) makes me say bad words. :smt044
Katherine
Mummy to G (08/11), M (08/13) and stepmum to M (05/04)
Finished projects - lemonhoney.weebly.com
Doing 100 things as a family this year - daymakers.weebly.com

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”