Quilting tutorials

jennyo
TNN nerd

Quilting tutorials

Post by jennyo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:25 pm

I have embarked on my first quilting project and I LOVE it but need a bit of guidance. Anyone know any great quilting tutorial websites? I've been finding bits and pieces on you tube but would like something a bit more holistic!
I've started with a table runner and have pieced the front and back. I have to wait till the sewing shop gets a walking foot in before I can actually start quilting but I'm a bit scared so want to read about what to do first!!

Oh and any great tips for lining up seams when piecing would be great too (funnily enough it was fine when piecing the front but I had a bit of trouble when doing the backing.

Thanks!

AliG
TNN guru

Re: Quilting tutorials

Post by AliG » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Will be reading this with interest! I want to learn how to quilt properly too :D
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:41 pm

:D
I know I should go to a class but I'm too impatient - there are no beginners classes starting anytime soon! I do have friends that quilt but most hand piece and hand quilt (one does machine piece but still hand quilts) and I want to use my machine.

Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd

Post by Mrs Shavas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 pm

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/ has heaps of quilting/general sewing tips etc, its definitely worth a browse.
"almost without exception [women] are shown in their relation to men. It was strange to think that all the great women of fiction were, [...]not only seen by the other sex, but seen only in relation to the other sex. And how small a part of a woman’s life is that"Virginia Woolf
Mum to my P Monkey 18/04/08, fox 28/11/09, and Missy moo moo 2/07/12

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:20 pm

You could check out the blogs by : Film in the Fridge, Oh Frannson, they both have some great tutorials and free online patterns etc and both have written good quilting books. I think there another good one, might be caled Old Red Barn?

mama anne
TNN nerd

Post by mama anne » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 pm

I like Crazy Mom Quilts too :)
Working Mama of miss7yo and mr5yo.

AliG
TNN guru

Post by AliG » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Awesome :D. Will check those links out. I have a lovely old vintage Singer machine that I want to use for quilting - I just need to get it to actually make a stitch :oops:. It'll be off to my repairman in the next week or two, so I can spend some quality time :sew:
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Great thanks, will check them out. I'm so addicted already!!

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Rading sew mama sew right now. It's PERFECT! Thanks

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:41 pm

I have a few quilting boards on my Pinterest account. Here's one that is a collection of tips for batting, binding, quilting etc. http://pinterest.com/dunnersnz/quilting ... ting-tips/ My 2 other quilting boards are 1; blocks and 2; completed quilts to inspire If you don't have a pinterest account PM me your email and I'll send you an invite.

I have Oh Fransson's book http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/t ... hwork.html I borrowed it from the Library and LOVED it, so bought it for Mothers Day when they had their last 10% off promo. I also bought her 2nd book on preorder and received an email recently to be told it's not far away now \:D/ I have borrowed a number of books & mags from the Library for inspiration too.

(I've just come back from tea with extended family. I bought a piece of plexiglass a few weeks ago to make a sewing machine extension table to help with quilting and finally remembered to take it with me. I've just had a cousin cut out the piece for the needleplate area with his jigsaw. I just need to get some support feet sorted & I'm all ready to quilt James' quilt \:D/ That was the other half of my Mothers Day present - so I'm well & truly set up for my new addiction!)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks Leanne (I do have pintrest and my quilting board is the biggest!!).

Would love to see a pic of your setup when it's finished. Sounds amazing!

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Sure, I'll take some photos when I've sorted the support legs. I was going to head out today but it's really too wet and I must get some packages sorted.

My pre-ordered Elizabeth Hartman book arrived this week (http://www.bookdepository.com/Modern-Pa ... 1607055488). It is beautiful! The quilting designs as well as her tops & backs are very inspirational! (and on preorder with the extra 10% voucher it only cost me $20 NZ delivered, so I'm pleased I took the gamble!) I have borrowed a number of quilting books from the Library, and I'm very confident these 2 books will keep me busy. I love all the designs in her books, whereas in other books it's only been one or two designs I've loved.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

sumella
TNN nerd

Post by sumella » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:20 pm

I love Elizabeth's designs too. I have her first book and was wondering whether I should get her second book too. So Leanne you convinced me now :mrgreen:
Daniela

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:10 pm

The sewing shop where I got my machine got back to me about a walking foot today. $77. Ouch! And my DH took the message and wasn't impressed considering how much I've spent on fabric this month!! A few people sell them for much cheaper on TM - anyone got experience of them or can tell from the description if it's lacking something important that I am too novice to know about?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =485292113
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =485659553

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Can anyone help with my quilting foot question in the above post?
TIA!

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”