Quilting tutorials

AliG
TNN guru

Re: Quilting tutorials

Post by AliG » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:59 pm

If it fits your machine it's probably fine. I have a Pfaff, so it has a built in walking foot. And I have a Bernina one for my old Bernina (that no longer works :(), which I've never tried. So I've never had to buy one. I would think that the ones specific to your machine would be best, but if your machine is a modern Japanese model then the generic walking foot is probably fine.

Not very helpful, sorry!
Image Image
And now licensed to knit all of Tikki's fabulous patterns!

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:54 pm

what kind of quilting are you wanting to do? free motion, or more fomal/structured?

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:03 pm

I have a generic cheap one I bought as part of a set of feet off TM. I got it to try and see how it went before investing in a proper one. The branded one is definitely better but the generic one was much cheaper than the ones you are looking at - it still worked well enough though.
It's still in a drawer somewhere and you're welcome to it if you want to pay post. (might take me a few days to find though!)
Image Image

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Anthea wrote:what kind of quilting are you wanting to do? free motion, or more fomal/structured?
I love the look of free motion, but think I better stick to the structured stuff first!

sjl wrote:I have a generic cheap one I bought as part of a set of feet off TM. I got it to try and see how it went before investing in a proper one. The branded one is definitely better but the generic one was much cheaper than the ones you are looking at - it still worked well enough though.
It's still in a drawer somewhere and you're welcome to it if you want to pay post. (might take me a few days to find though!)
Wow, that's a kind offer. I'll PM you.

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm

jennyo wrote:
Anthea wrote:what kind of quilting are you wanting to do? free motion, or more fomal/structured?
I love the look of free motion, but think I better stick to the structured stuff first!

sjl wrote:I have a generic cheap one I bought as part of a set of feet off TM. I got it to try and see how it went before investing in a proper one. The branded one is definitely better but the generic one was much cheaper than the ones you are looking at - it still worked well enough though.
Wow, that's a kind offer. I'll PM you.
free motions pretty easy to pick up, and a lot easier to learn straight off i think, as you aren't worried about what its 'supposed' to look like. are you generally good with your hands painting, drawing, crafting, sewing and knitting etc?

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 am

Anthea wrote: free motions pretty easy to pick up, and a lot easier to learn straight off i think, as you aren't worried about what its 'supposed' to look like. are you generally good with your hands painting, drawing, crafting, sewing and knitting etc?
Oh, ok! I am very crafty, but not very original if that makes sense? I love making things but generally have to copy something I've seen with my own variations - I don't have creative ideas myself!! I know you draw the free motion pattern on, but I worry about how to make it look even? How do you do that? Or do you draw a pattern and then somehow copy it over and over again onto the quilt?

So I would need one of those feet with the circle at the bottom for that, wouldn't I?

Sorry for all the dumb questions!! :oops:

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 am

you don't draw a pattern on with free motion, you just go for it. what i tend to do is draw on paper over and over practicing what I'm going to stitch, then just have that next to me as in quilting, and compare what I'm stitching and making sure I'm keeping spacing and scale of it consistent.

there are websites that have samples of designs that you can get inspiration from it.

there are a few types of foot that you can use - plastic clear ones with a circular or oval bit - but i don't like these as the plastic distorts the stitching and makes it hard to see what you're actually doing.

i use a metal one with a semi circular piece on it. its easy to see whats going on. you use it with the feed dogs down, and it has a spring on it to track the quilt through evenly. they are cheaper than the walking foot i think.

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 pm

I appreciate the info thanks, Anthea!

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 am

Ok, so I've ordered a walking foot and a free motion foot from ebay so I'll have a wee play with them when they get here in a week or two.

My next question :hide: is about batting.... the quilt I'm making is just going to be a lap quilt for the lounge so I don't really want to spend a lot of $$ on the filling. I have an old (cream coloured) woollen blanket. Could I use that? Or am I better to just buy some polyester batting?

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:35 pm

You can use an old blanket ofr batting, I have before, but it will be lots harde and heavierr than starting with polyester. The poly batting is pretty cheap :wink:

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:45 pm

where about are you? do any shops sell sticky batting near you? its a batting you sandwich with the quilt layers as usual, but instead of pinning together you iron it and it sticks. i used it in my first few quilts no idea what the price is like cause mum brought me the batting - but its a lot easier not having quilting pins to avoid and pull out as you go along. worth it for avoiding the headache and frustration for your first quilt

also get enough to make up a few practice quilts with scraps and the same batting. use them to practice the stitching, and get the tension right before starting the quilting.

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Right, so I attempted to baste my table runner a couple of days ago and then started quilting. Big fail!! I thought I had it pulled tight without stretching it but obiously not :twitch: :twitch:. Also, the safety pins got in the way a bit and if I took them out so they weren't in the way then it wasn't tight enough :twitch: :twitch: I spent yesterday evening unpicking ugh! (That iron on batting stuff is looking really good about now, Anthea, so I think I'll try and hunt that out for the lap quilt!!).
But to do this runner, I'm not sure what to do. I found this method http://pinterest.com/pin/169096160979551598/ and http://pinterest.com/pin/169096160979551631/ which makes so much sense to me. But I don't know how it would work to snip the threads before quilting it when I'm doing lines down the length of it. Any ideas?

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 pm

The iron-on basting is a winner. It made the quilt for the teacher (leaving school/Chc) a doddle to quilt. When Hancocks of Panducah had their free shipping I bought the max 2 batting I could. I have no chance of finding the time to do it this term if you want to buy one off me. They're queen size, I can't remember what I paid but I can look it up (Something like $24 US, no shipping charge). (For the teacher's quilt I used the batting I bought from Stitch and it was something crazy like $45/m, width I think was about 180 cm).

I'm not experienced enough to offer advice on the basting techniques, sorry!
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Oo Leanne, that sounds good. I'll just figure out the measurements to see first. So did you just have to iron the top and backing to each side of the batting and then that's it? Sounds like a dream come true!!

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 pm

I have quilted my table runner (just stitched in the ditch) and am happy with it! Just have to bind it now which will be tonight's job.
Yesterday I basted my quilt using the fusible batting from Leanne. My quilt is this pattern: http://www.etsy.com/listing/80293256/la ... gallery_22 and the little squares are red. I din't prewash my fabric since I knew I shouldn't prewash the charm pack (and wanted to the same thing to all the fabric). So I was fusing it last night and there are 2 wee places where the steam has caused the red to run into the white :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: . Now I'm terrified of washing it after I'm done with it!!
So, is there anything I can do to stop the red running when I do wash it? (it's going to be a throw for the couch so it hopefully won't get too dirty - maybe I can just refrain from washing it forever!! :lol: )
So cross with myself!!

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”