Overlockers?

odettenz
TNN addict

Overlockers?

Post by odettenz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:49 pm

I am wanting to buy an overlocker & was wondering if anyone had any advice on brands etc. I have never owned one before & am just getting into sewing & thought it might be handy to have one. Some of them are really expensive & I don’t really know where to start! Any advice would be very appreciated :-)

Dunners
TNN oracle

Re: Overlockers?

Post by Dunners » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Janome is a really good brand. Their quality is through their entire price range whereas some other brands make crappy cheap machines & fantastic upper end machines.

Go for a 4 thread. This means the machine has the option for (1 or) 2 needles & 2 looper threads. That 2nd needle thread sews a reinforced seam meaning you don't need to whip that same seam through the sewing machine as well. (You can take out a needle if you only want to use a 3 thread to stabilise/overlock the raw edge).

I have an oldish 4 thread Janome Mylock 134 I bought off TM for $130. The guy whom services it says to never get rid of it as they are a very good model. I lucked in there - I had no idea about models when I bought it, I just thought it was a good price & knew Janome was pretty good.

My machine does not have differential feed meaning that I can't adjust how it feeds different fabrics into the machine. I am not sure that I miss it? (I have it on the coverstitch machine & use it there, but don't really know what I'm missing when I've used the overlocker - there's nothing I've not been happy with other than slippery PUL (laminate out) which I think would be a problem on every overlocker?.

A rolled hem feature is really useful. I managed to buy an extra plate (for nearly $50 yikes, but cheaper than a new machine) which means I can do rolled hems on my machine. Modern machines convert at the flick of a switch.

What's your budget?
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

odettenz
TNN addict

Post by odettenz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 pm

It's going to my birthday pressie (birthday 1 August) so I think DH's arm could be twisted into something decent. Especially if there is some batting of eyelids & sexual favours :wink: I had a look at Janome online & found this entry level one Mylock 644D http://www.sewingdirect.co.nz/babylockindex.html for $599. Do you think that'll do the job? I'd probably rather buy new if DH will allow it because I haven't a clue when buying 2nd hand & would hate to get a dud. I am totally a newbie to the sewing thing & have only used an overlocker once so I need something that's easy to use.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I was just coming back to say I use the website for reviews - though sometimes our model numbers don't match up with what is released internationally so it's not so much a help http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Reviews

The guys at the Sewing Direct place are really helpful - I bought a crappy machine from there (online without getting advice) which they were great with fixing & then replacing as it wasn't a good model. They put the purchase price towards the Coverpro. They are very honest with their reviews - I'm sure if you phoned them they'd give you a good idea of whether the Babylock is a good starting machine or not. There are a couple of Janome overlockers at the same price - I'm sure they'd be pretty honest about value for money etc.

HTH
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:21 pm

http://www.sewingdirect.co.nz/elnaindex.html - either the 664 or 664pro.

I have the 654 which doesn't look like it's there.. it is very good though. A big heavy machine with very professional stitch quality and a really fab rolled hem. I would think this would be one step down but should be a good machine.

odettenz
TNN addict

Post by odettenz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Good thinking-I will give them a call in the morning & see if they can help. Thanks for the advice guys :D

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”