Need some ideas for a sleepsack

Resse
TNN guru

Need some ideas for a sleepsack

Post by Resse » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:27 pm

I am looking to sew a sleepsack.
It will have a singlet type top, with two snaps on both shoulders, as well as snaps down one side, starting from under the armpit and ending about halfway down. Does that make sense?
I want to sew it from flannelette. And it will have a lining.

SO...
My question is in the construction of it. I want to do it stitch and turn.
So my idea is to have the main fabric and the lining fabric for the front. Sew them right sides together (leave a gap for turning). Then turn right sides out and topstitch all the way around. Repeat for the back.
Then take the front piece and the back piece, right sides together, and start sewing from under one armpit down to the bottom, round the bottom and halfway up the other side.
When I turn it the correct way, I should then be able to snap the open side, and the the top of the shoulders.

Will this work?

I had thought of using bias binding, but I don't have any, so trying to think out of the square.
Renate
http://renate4scottie.blogspot.com/
My new blog called Inspirationz. Yah!!
Our amazing DS, May 2006
Our sweet DD, August 2008
Our gorgeous DS, September 2010

sjl
TNN nerd

Re: Need some ideas for a sleepsack

Post by sjl » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:43 pm

That would work for sure, you'll just have the edges of the two parts inside, but as you've already finished them they won't unravel.
You could, instead of matching them together and stitching a standard seam, overlap them side by side and stitch down and around the bottom, this would also have the benefit that you automatically have an overlap on the side for snap placement. It might require a bit of folding/easing on the corners at the bottom though. And you'd want a double line of stitching so each edge was caught.

Another alternative would be to construct like you do with a lined waistcoat, only it'd be easier as you don't have a bottom hem - ie stitch front and back lining together - from underarm round to the bottom of the opening, and then the same for the outer. Place them inside each other with right sides facing and stitch right round, leaving a space for turning.
ETA- it'd be even better to leave the turning space when you stitch the lining front and back together, that way it'd be hidden on the inside.

Man I hope that makes sense...
Image Image

Resse
TNN guru

Post by Resse » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:08 pm

sjl wrote:
Another alternative would be to construct like you do with a lined waistcoat, only it'd be easier as you don't have a bottom hem - ie stitch front and back lining together - from underarm round to the bottom of the opening, and then the same for the outer. Place them inside each other with right sides facing and stitch right round, leaving a space for turning.
ETA- it'd be even better to leave the turning space when you stitch the lining front and back together, that way it'd be hidden on the inside.

Man I hope that makes sense...
Yes!! I think that makes sense! :D At what point do I sew the bodice bit?
Renate
http://renate4scottie.blogspot.com/
My new blog called Inspirationz. Yah!!
Our amazing DS, May 2006
Our sweet DD, August 2008
Our gorgeous DS, September 2010

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:00 pm

The bodice portion would be done as part of the last stitching - once the two bits are placed inside each other (right sides together).

For the final step then you'd be stitching from the bottom of the opening up to the underarm 1, round the back shoulder flaps (ie the bits that will have the shoulder domes) and neckline to the other underarm point, round the front shoulder flaps and neckline back to the top of the opening and then down the other side of the opening.
Image Image

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”