two small holes in merino?

piggywiggy
TNN nerd

two small holes in merino?

Post by piggywiggy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:10 pm

:gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Stupic stupid stupid me. Got a lovely BRAND new merino top from savemart and um, wasn't particularly careful with taking the staples out of the sleeve (I sort of thought I was being careful but clearly the desire to get the tag off was winning that argument).

Anyway, I now have two small holes in one sleeve, about 2 inches from my wrist, jersey merino. Thoughts on how best to fix this? I can't darn/haven't darned before and don't want to botch it up.

All I can think of at the moment is making either a matching or non matching but co-ordinating band to make a strip around each sleeve at the same place - design feature type.

Or cutting the sleeves to be 3/4, which I'm not convinced will match the style as it is a mid thigh length type of drape cardigan/jacket.

Removing the sleeves entirely could become a mission as they are not set in ( the sew up from the bottom to the cuff type)

:gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:
Catherine
Working mumma to D (march 08) and N (dec 10)

mumtotwo
TNN oracle

Re: two small holes in merino?

Post by mumtotwo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:37 pm

darning isn't hard , it's like weaving , I'd darn first to stop them running then see if you want to bother sewing over a contrasting stripe on both arms . I've darned a few merino , if the holes are small odds are you'll never notice the darn
Mum to my two gorgeous and sometimes headache inducing children
Mara 21/02/96
Ashley 27/03/06

Image Image

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I'd go for cover it up. Rather than going around the sleeve you can also cover it vertically from the using a piece of ribbon, twill tape or even a piece of co-ordinating fabric. Stitch it under the cuff, so as to hide the raw edge of the ribbon and wrap it around to the front, up to a point above the holes and finish off.
I don't think you'd need to do it on both arms but to get the continuity you could stitch a piece of the same ribbon on the top centre back or wrapped around the hem in the same way or in the logo position on the front.

I'll try and find a pic.
Image Image

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:02 pm

I'd try darning first and then covering up!

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:35 pm

oh and if you wash it carefully ... the holes shouldn't run anyway (and then you could do nothing!! :hide: )

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”