How to remove mildew

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

How to remove mildew

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:10 am

I have an Evenflo capsule that I want to loan to a friend and I dug it out and it's got those little black dots of mildew on the straps and part of the seat cover. The straps and cover all come off so I can soak them but is there anything that will actually get the mildew marks off? I think bleach would do it but I don't want to degrade the fabric of the straps and I think bleach would strip the colour out?? Or would it? Anyone got any handy hints? I tried googling but didn't have much luck.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

Petals
TNN guru

Re: How to remove mildew

Post by Petals » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Google Shannon Lush - she knows how to get anything out of anywhere! Although TBH I haven't finished trying all of her mildrew suggestions yet - child raincoats left screwed up in their bags because they don't have hooks at school any more.
Kylie

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Re: How to remove mildew

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks heaps :D . I found Shannon Lush and she recommended clove oil, which I didn't have, or a paste of salt and water left to dry and brushed off.

I tried the salt and it didn't work at all, so then I soaked it in Ecostore soaker, which got all the mildew spots off the seat cover but not the straps. I then tried white vinegar dabbed on the straps and left to dry, which also didn't work, so then I made up a solution of 50/50 water and bleach and dabbed it onto just the black spots with a cotton bud. I left it for about 20 minutes or so, dabbing more on every now and then when it started to dry, and then rinsed really well and it worked perfectly! I thought the bleach would discolour the straps (they are fawn coloured) but all it did was remove the mildew spots and they now look like new. So that's the way to do it if anyone is wondering in future.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”