Quilters - what are your top 5 tricks and tips?

stardust1
TNN nerd

Quilters - what are your top 5 tricks and tips?

Post by stardust1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm trying my first ever quilt, and I'm rather excited about it. I've done lots of research on how-to's, but find the advise so contradicting (Obviously everyone does it different, but it's confusing). EG. Some say backstitch each block, others say don't.

I'm doing just simple 10" squares as it's going to be a single bed one, but am hoping babies one will be way more exciting! There is a quilting group in my home town which I might join. Would be cool to have a 'motherly/grandmotherly' group to get some guidance and adult conversation.

What are the loyal tnners tricks?
Check out Stardust Designs brand here;
http://www.facebook.com/designsbystardust
License holder for Tiny Tuck-Ins, and watch this space for the sole license holder of another popular nappy.
Taylor - 01/07/03 - :monkey: Ella-Jayne - 30/06/08 - :princess:

mama anne
TNN nerd

Re: Quilters - what are your top 5 tricks and tips?

Post by mama anne » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:56 pm

i really like the tutorials at http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com.au/ in the quilt making basics section :)

have fun!
Working Mama of miss7yo and mr5yo.

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Measure, measure, cut, then measure again! Also when you are sewing make sure your seams are all 1/4inch, as otherwise they won't matchup.

I haven't quilted for almost four years, must get the one finished I pieced while waiting for DS to arrive.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

KJ

Post by KJ » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm

The hard lesson I learnt was that you shouldn't try and do two colours of backing fabric and different colour top and bottom thread when quilting. I had to redo the whole thing and replace the backing with a colour that matched the thread I wanted to use on top.

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 am

Don't backstitch. Organize your sewing so that you see the longest seams first and then cut, and don't take each thing out of the machine just leave a couple of cm then start the next seam (chain stitching).
Kylie

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 am

Do a course or join a group!! You won't regret it. I never backsticth, have your stitch length set at 2, same colour for top thread and bobbin for the quiltng part, cotton batting or low loft poly batting is easier first time around, and practice the quilting part first on a small piece if you can. Use a walking foot for straightline quilting if you have one. HTH.

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks guys!

I was typing a reply this morning when the forum crashed.. can't have liked what I typed ;) I've tried to stick to the tutorials from MissouriQuiltCo on youtube as I find them quite helpful, it was just when I was searching for other ideas that I got all confuzzled.

I think when I come to actually quilting it I will just do the 'stitch in the ditch' method, which I believe is just sewing where the squares have been sewn together.

Viv - Lady at the fabric shop here suggested low loft poly batting, I'm glad you agree as it's quite cheap! Is also about 2.16m wide or something crazy?
License holder for Tiny Tuck-Ins, and watch this space for the sole license holder of another popular nappy.

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 pm

I tend to use cotton, only because it better for selling them and personal preference. Cotton is dearer.

Plingie
TNN guru

Post by Plingie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 am

My best tip (and I'm not an experienced quilter LOL) is to just do it! I was so intimidated and scared of messing up but I just did my best and kept on going. Sure my quilt was a little puckered in places and not 'perfect' but it was perfect to me because I had made it :D

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:28 am

Well Im nearly up to doing the border. When I go to buy the material, do I need to get it the same length as the quilt so there is no seams? As it's about 2.2m long..

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:32 pm

I missed this thread earlier.
stardust1 wrote:I think when I come to actually quilting it I will just do the 'stitch in the ditch' method, which I believe is just sewing where the squares have been sewn together.
I read on a blog or in a quilting book somewhere that stitch in the ditch was very old skool quilting. Modern quilting is a bit more bolder in the sense of adding texture & colour rather than just quilting the 3 layers (top, batting, back) together. I love quilting a distance from the "ditch", it really does add a lovely touch to the appearance of the quilt. So my recommendation is to be brave & avoid stitch in the ditch ;)

I have a few quilting boards on my Pinterest account.
Quilting blocks http://pinterest.com/dunnersnz/quilt-blocks-to-inspire/
Completed quilts http://pinterest.com/dunnersnz/completed-quilts/
Quilting, binding & batting tips (tutorials) http://pinterest.com/dunnersnz/quilting ... ting-tips/

I've had seams in my borders because I've been using from stash. With my quilting I've been able to "hide" the seams. So I would say it depends if you're doing frugal/stash quilting or if you have money to buy long lengths. But I am just a novice (and can't wait for work to slow down so I pull out my quilting again, I'm itching to finish James' quilt for Christmas & get started on Emilys!)

Oh, my one other tip is fusible batting - cheapest bought from Hancocks of Panducah (I bought Queen size ones for about $20US with free shipping to NZ - I paid $80 for stuff by the metre for the single-ish sized quilt I made for James' teacher's leaving gift (families pitched in $10 each so I could afford to use more spendier locally-sourced materials). It was SOOOO easy to lay it out on the floor & fuse it together with a hot iron!
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks Leeane,

I've also seen a spray adhesive on some tutorials and in spotlight - thought that could be worth giving a go. Was actually surprised at the cost of batting, wasn't as expensive as I had imagined - considering it's width.

This is a picture of the squares laid out for my plan - I've since embroidered white felt butterflies onto the pale pink squares. The quilting style of either side of the ditch might be a good idea, as some of my squares don't quite line up :twitch:
'.jpg
'.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 5287 times

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Nice! I would stitch both sides of the ditch as that will really add to your lovely, large, bold patch layout.

This is the fusible batting I bought http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i ... JSkka7j7EM I don't think they have any special shipping deals at the moment unfortunately. I managed to secure a free shipping with signing up for email newsletters (and spending $150). I've been good & not bought from them since as I've been so busy working I've not had time to quilt. I have bought some really lovely quilting fabrics from their clearance section too - like $4/yard.

Actually, just checked my In box. There's a coupon for 10% if you refer a friend (10% for both) if you want me to refer you? I think their shipping is really reasonable.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:52 pm

I ended up buying cotton batting, for some reason the details about it were not cut with the fabric and I didn't look at it properly.

Do I need to pre-wash it before I quilt it?

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:26 pm

stardust1 wrote:I ended up buying cotton batting, for some reason the details about it were not cut with the fabric and I didn't look at it properly.

Do I need to pre-wash it before I quilt it?
I'm pretty sure if you wash it first it'll disintegrate, it needs the fabric and quilting to hold it together. Most batting comes with a quilting distance on it, you need to make sure you quilt at least that close together so the batting won't migrate.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”