Overlocker thread question

grizle
TNN nerd

Overlocker thread question

Post by grizle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Just wondering how many of you find you have to use top quality thread (metrosene, guterman etc) in your overlocker needles when you want to sew heavier fabrics like drill or denim? I mean have to, like the overlocker won't sew properly if you don't use these quality threads.

Also what brand of overlocker do you have?

Just trying to find out if my overlocker is normal...I'm sure it's not.
Last edited by grizle on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Tentacles
TNN guru

Re: Overlocker thread question

Post by Tentacles » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 pm

I use the big cones of overlocker thread on my overlocker for everything. I have found that mine doesn't particularly like really thick thread or really cheap thread (I mean the really really cheap stuff that you get on tiny reels for hand or normal machine sewing) but I think that is a tension thing as the threads in the loopers snap all the time. It also isn't great with wooly nylon type stuff but that is tension thing too. I have a brother, Mum has a babylock bernina and she uses the same as me on hers all the time too.
Alison - Currently SAHM to DS (04/07) and DD (09/10).

http://kiwicraftychemist.blogspot.com

Middy
TNN guru

Post by Middy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 pm

I have a Janome that spits the dummy on cheap thread when sewing anything except thin cotton.
Sophie: April 20, 2007 and Caleb: September 12, 2008 and...
http://db-bellzone.blogspot.com/

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 pm

I have a brother and use the cheap overlocker cones you get by the dozen on TM. No probs with anything yet.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 pm

My overlocker is fine on the cones that you buy from spotlight, but my brother sewing machine won't have a bar of cheap thread at all.
Check out Stardust Designs brand here;
http://www.facebook.com/designsbystardust
License holder for Tiny Tuck-Ins, and watch this space for the sole license holder of another popular nappy.
Taylor - 01/07/03 - :monkey: Ella-Jayne - 30/06/08 - :princess:

Happy@home
TNN nerd

Post by Happy@home » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:14 pm

I have a Bernette and it doesn't mind the large cheap cones.
Rebecca, HE mum to ds 17, ds16, dd 14, dd 12, dd 11, ds 9, ds 7, ds 6, dd 4, ds 2yo and due April mid '15

ob1
TNN nutter

Post by ob1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm trying to finish off my greenbeans thread - I can't use it in my sewing machine, anyway, I have GB thread on the two needles, and cone thread on the loopers, and the GB thread is way fluffier than the cone tread, and has way more friction. To balance things out, I don't loop the GB thread around the top two guides, and I find that this gives me about even tension. So if you have too much friction, and can't get rid of it just using the adjustable tension knobs alone, try missing the thread out of a few twists and turns. Hope that makes sense...
Tara
Mum to Olly, Emma, and Anna

www.summerwarmth.co.nz
Breastfeeding products and information for women with Raynaud's

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 pm

The reason why I asked this question was simply because for the last 3yrs I've had nothing but random bursts of trouble with my overlocker. Today the bernina lady put some proper quality sewing thread in it and OMG what a difference. Got my fingers crossed its fixed the problem.

Anyway with my bernina I have found that spotlight thread will do the job for lighter weight fabric, the better quality overlocker thread recommended by the ladies at bernina means I can sew medium weight fabrics without issues but the metrosene thread that was put in today means I have gone from not even being able to sew one layer of thick drill (spotlight thread) to sewing through 6 layers :shock: . I would never ever have tried to sew what I have tonight if I hadn't seen the bernina lady do it today.

I'm just so amazed that the thread can be a massive difference.

And the price for being able to sew this way...$19 compared to $4.50 :hide:
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”