Choosing a pattern size - anyone heard of this?

jennyo
TNN nerd

Choosing a pattern size - anyone heard of this?

Post by jennyo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:55 am

I am new to sewing clothes for myself and am confused about choosing which size to make. I don't want to stuff up and waste fabric and time! According to mccalls I think it was I was 16 bust, 22 waist, 26 hips or something ridiculous like that. I know pattern sizes don't equal shop sizes but still...!!! I want to make a dress so I guess the bust measurement and maybe the waist measurement are most important, but there are still 2 sizes between those!!
So I googled what to do and came across this: http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing- ... tern-size/
It makes logical sense on one level - but then I'd be a size 14 ????

Anyone use this method, or have any tips for me?

sable
Spinning Goddess

Re: Choosing a pattern size - anyone heard of this?

Post by sable » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 am

I choose by high bust which is basically the same measurement. Most patterns are designed for a B cup, so if you're a B then you can go by the pattern measurements as it should also fit your shoulders, if your cup size is any bigger than a B then high bust is the way to go. You can then do a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) to get the chest fit right. The waist and hip area can be graded out to fit, there are various ways to do that which you'll be able to find tutorials for on the net.

For me I have to choose for high bust, then do a FBA and drop the bust area as I'm low-slung in comparison to the patterns, I have to sew if I want the styles I like (fitted) or else my bust is in the wrong place in relation to the darts in ready made.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

jennyo
TNN nerd

Re: Choosing a pattern size - anyone heard of this?

Post by jennyo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 am

Thank you for that. Off to google Full Bust Adjustment!

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”