Snap Sizes

Tom's Mum
TNN convert

Snap Sizes

Post by Tom's Mum » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:13 pm

Which size snaps do you use more? I am trying to figure out what to order. I want to get a 500 socket set so I need to figure out if I should get size 16 or 20. I don't want to end up with heaps of sockets in the wrong size. It's all too confusing :shock:

Sharonnz
TNN guru

Post by Sharonnz » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:22 pm

I've only used 20's. I thought about getting some size 16's to use for mama pads but looking at the ones I've bought from the US & my Mother of Eden ones...they all use size 20 too.

I think Size 16 would be good for newborn size clothing but there is not a huge difference between the two.

Sharon

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:41 pm

If you want general purpose snaps, and if you'll be using them a lot for nappies - then #20 would be best.

I prefer #16 for pads and baby/toddler clothes, but #20 is just fine for those too. For older kids clothes etc, #20 are better - the #16s are a bit too fiddly for little hands. And I prefer #20 on nappies (although Id probably use #16 on newborn size) As Sharon says, theres really not a lot of difference.

If you want to get complicated :lol: You can use a #16 cap on #20 socket/studs for a 'lower profile' (good for pads) - you can use your #20 cap die to set #16 caps.

If you like, I can send you a set of each - PM me your address :)

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:58 am

I've already passed these comments onto Abby. Thought I'd post it here too incase others are helped by it.

I most often use size 20. Sometimes I use size 16 for the rise adjustment snaps or waist snaps as they are less bulky. It also depends on the size of the nappy and the colour of the PUL and snaps.

I've just finished making some smaller nappies where I used size 14 snaps for the rise adjustment. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but it took me 9 attempts to secure the last snap. Grr! The cap was not holding the socket (which I replaced each time). In the end I used a size 16 cap and it holds perfectly (but is a little bulkier)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Return to “Snaps and presses”