Broken die (snap) - help!

Louise
TNN oracle

Broken die (snap) - help!

Post by Louise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:14 pm

So I was unscrewing one of the dies on my snap-press (as you do without a hitch all the time) when the die screwed off or rather broke off without the screw part. So it has separated from the screw and I've go just the socket die end and the plastic middle part, the rest is stuck in the snap press.

I have no idea how to get it out. Has this happened to anyone before?

I've e-mailed Sarah but haven't heard from her yet and I had to resort to using hook and loop on the nappy I was making (desperately running out of time as it is a gift). Finished the nappy and am missing snaps!

Help!
Mum of 6

Pookee
TNN guru

Post by Pookee » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:19 pm

I would suggest trying some glue on the pieces to join them again to get the piece out of the press, or if there is any part of the bit left in the press, if your DH has a adjustable spanner or vice grips see if you can grab hold of the part thats in it and try and unscrew it.

Thats a real bummer I think I'll be careful of my snap press now (well more careful than I have been)
Mel

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Pookee wrote:I would suggest trying some glue on the pieces to join them again to get the piece out of the press, or if there is any part of the bit left in the press, if your DH has a adjustable spanner or vice grips see if you can grab hold of the part thats in it and try and unscrew it.

Yep, think I will go and hunt out some sort of tool to try to grip and get the screw part out.

Pookee wrote: Thats a real bummer I think I'll be careful of my snap press now (well more careful than I have been)

I was just screwing it out normally as I always do - don't think I have ever been rough or forceful (haven't needed to - I've never had a problem) so not sure what made it break.

I hope I will be able to glue it back together and not have this happen again.
Mum of 6

Gaia
TNN guru

Post by Gaia » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi!

This has happened to me a few times. Don't panic..it is no biggie.

I just push it back on and then unscrew the whole thing again.....it sometimes takes afew goes to get it to unscrew all together but it does work. If it is a bit stubborn you might need to resort to pliers or something similar to unscrew but I haven't had to do this yet.

I have worked out that the plastic is not attached or glued to the die..just pushes on.

Hopefully you can work it out.

cheers
~Heather~
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

Neak1
TNN guru

Post by Neak1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Ditto what Heather said! Had this happen a couple of times. DH to the rescue! LOL
Monique

Seth 8
Nina 4

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:48 am

Thankyou!! :smt041 :smt041

I tried just pushing the die back onto the other piece and it stuck and I was able to unscrew the die in one piece. Yay!
Mum of 6

Return to “Snaps and presses”