Snap Press sets from China

Dunners
TNN oracle

Snap Press sets from China

Post by Dunners » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:12 pm

Hi all DIYers,

I have just purchased a Snap Press set from China - I heard about this deal on the Ozcloth discussion list and thought I'd pass on the details in case anyone else is interested (I hope I won't make enemies by posting this message). The very helpful lady I have been dealing with is Serena (an American living in China).

The Package:
* Kam Snap Press
* 2 die sets (size 20 and size 16)
* 1000 complete sets of resin snaps in colours and size of your choice
The total cost for everything (including shipping) is:
$99 USD ppd SURFACE (2 to 3 months delivery)
$130 USD ppd AIR LIFT (2 to 4 weeks delivery)
Payment by bank account funded Paypal. (Credit cards incur an extra charge of approx 3%)

Serena has never shipped to NZ before, so the above price may vary a little (she based it on known costs sending to Australia).

Snap sets are $5 per set of 100 complete snaps, that is 200 caps and 100 each studs and sockets, so you can pick 10 sets of 100 (unless you want engraved snaps which are a little more expensive). Most snaps are also available in sets of 50 as well ($2.50 each), if you want even more colors. Everything can be seen in this link... http://www.picturetrail.com/xiaohua68847 Password is: Amitymama

More about the snaps: (answering some questions I had)
The snaps and presses are all KAM brand. They are made of polyacetal resin, which is extremely durable, especially under temperature extremes. Diapershop sells a brand of polyacetal resin snaps that they call "polyacter" or "industrial" but I do not know how they compare to these. These snaps are not compatible with the dies for "polyacter" sold by Diapershop. I do know that Snapstore (http://www.thesnapstore.com) also sells KAM products, so they are widely used in the US. I have never heard of anyone having any problems with the snaps. They do NOT break easily... you'll find that out the first time you apply one to the wrong place and you need to get it off!

The size 20 KAM snap/dies are compatible with most other brands, EXCEPT the "polyacter" snaps sold by Diapershop will not work in the KAM press/dies.

The size 14 and size 16 snaps and dies are not compatible with those sold elsewhere. As far as I know, the press can only apply KAM size 16 or 14
snaps.

Snaps sold elsewhere are compatible with this press.
Specifically, you can buy snaps from:
http://www.thesnapstore.com- size 20, size 16 or size 14
http://www.snap-happy.net - size 20 only
http://www.make-it-snappy.com - size 20 only
http://www.sewingmommies.com - size 20 only
http://www.diapershop.com - size 20 NOT "polyacetar" type
So you don't always have to buy from me if you don't want to.

You can order extra snaps with the press. I can usually ship an additional $50 worth in the same box, and after that I ship separately. The postage is included in the price of the snaps, though, so it doesn't matter. They are $5 USD per 100 sets.

Size 20 caps are 12.4 mm diameter
Size 16 caps are 10.7 mm diameter
Size 14 caps are 9.74 mm diameter

I have just ordered mine today via PayPal. Sadly, ASB does not provide cashflow cards that allow debit purchases on PayPal, so I paid by Credit Card instead (so I can't confirm the actual NZ price yet). I priced up similar equipment at The Diaper Shop and a similar package was approx $250 US. Serena has been fantastic to deal with. I can't wait for my snap set to arrive! Shall keep you posted.

If you would like to make contact with Serena her email is xiaohua68847@yahoo.com
Last edited by Dunners on Tue May 31, 2005 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:03 pm

A wee amendment to the above information.

Serena has just attempted to send my press set by air lift - but there is no such service to NZ (like there is to Oz).

So the NZ options for the complete Snap Press package (press, 2 die sets, 1000 snap sets, delivery) is as follows:
* Ship SURFACE $100 US (takes 2-3 months)
* Ship AIR $180 US (takes 1 week)

If you can handle the wait - the surface option is excellent value! (Approx $140 NZ for the complete package). I'm about to test my patience as I just couldn't justify the extra $50 US, especially since I ordered extra snaps. Besides, I really don't need the distraction of having another new toy around.

I have just checked my VISA statement too - my $180 US order by PayPal(original air delivery of $130 US with extra $50 US snaps) cost a total of $254.76 NZ.
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:51 pm

Aren't you a lucky girl getting a snap press - I'm jealous!

Gaia
TNN guru

Snap press

Post by Gaia » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:55 am

Hi!
Am so tempted to order but I think my credit card must be just about hitting the limit and I still haven't found time to get started with any sewing. Have just been amasing supplies ready to go when I have some spare days.
Will be interested how you get on with it.
cheers
~Heather~

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:25 am

Update: one package arrived this morning.

I just had to post an update - I am so blown away by Serena's service.

A package arrived today - my "surprize" package. Since I had paid for the dearer fast AU delivery, to later find the fast delivery didn't exist to NZ, Serena offered to refund the $30NZ. I told her to send more snaps instead.

So, today in my package I received a size 14 die set, 550 size 14 snaps in 11 colours (and boy are they cute) and a bag of labels, embroidered patches, toggles, and ribbon flowers (check her website to see what I mean). I am so impressed - Emily's clothes are going to have some lovely finishing touches on them.

Now, just have to wait for the snap press. I had been doing so well trying to forget that it's coming. I have a pile of clothes that we've made that are "waiting" to be snapped. I was going to sew on some snaps today (my day off). Maybe I'll wait?
Leanne

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat May 07, 2005 10:28 am

IT'S HERE! **** Little dance. **** It's here! It's here!

I can't believe it - I was just thinking that "It's Mother's Day tomorrow and it hasn't arrived. Sigh. Oh well" when a courier van pulled up with a parcel.

So, for those of you interested:
Payment went through Feb 21st
Delivery May 6th (2 1/2 months?)
Cost $99 US for the set.

I have soooo much to do today (must do Sister's wedding invites), just want to play!
Leanne

Tom's Mum
TNN convert

Post by Tom's Mum » Sat May 07, 2005 1:55 pm

Yay Leanne, how exciting. There's gonna be a queue at your door soon to put snaps on all our creations. Hee hee :lol:

Spunky Monkey
TNN convert

Post by Spunky Monkey » Fri May 13, 2005 8:59 pm

I was just about to order a snap press from http://thesnapstore.com
I am such a noob I still trying to work out what I need this is all new to me all I know is the hammer domes are useless.
:(

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri May 13, 2005 9:45 pm

Ok Spunky Monkey, here's what I can tell you:

1. Ordering from China is an excellent deal - it's the same product that you'd buy from the States (except you'd be paying more buying from the States since you'll be paying for them to ship it from China to the States, and their commission on top). I think I estimated that it would cost about $400 from the States for a similar package.

2. You need 4 poly resin (a type of plastic) pieces for a complete snap. The parts are: socket piece, stud piece, and 2 caps (the caps are the smooth bit of the snap that locks on the socket/stud pieces).

3. You need to buy a die set that holds the snap pieces in the press. You need a die set for each size snap (except the size 14 & 16 snaps share a cap plate thingy). A die set consist of 3 pieces:
* a piece that fits in the bottom of the press to hold the cap (cap die)
* a piece that locks in the socket side of the snap (socket die)
* a piece that locks in the stud side of the snap (stud die)

You fit the cap die to the bottom of the press and say the socket die to the top. Press all the say socket parts then unscrew (by hand) the socket die and replace with the stud die.

It really is very easy to use - both change parts and pressing the snaps. Waaaaayyyy easier than hammering!

So, my recommendation - go for the China deal! The only decision you have to make is the colours and sizes of your 1000 snap sets that come with the package.

Does that help?
Leanne

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Fri May 13, 2005 10:16 pm

Ive recently ordered snaps and dies from Serena (the 'china deal' :P) and I cant say enough good things about her! She is very quick to reply, my postage took 5 days! (no press - just snaps and dies), she is helpful and knowledgeable, and wont try to sell you anything you dont need (she actually recommended I buy my dies elsewhere as she wasnt 100% sure hers would fit my press - I took the chance anyway and they do fit!).
So - if you emailed her and said 'I want to buy a snap press and all the bits to do such n such (make nappies, make baby clothes etc) - what do you recommend?', Im sure you'll get the best deal with no hassles.

Stacey

TheBean
TNN nerd

Post by TheBean » Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 pm

Stacey where did you get your press from?

Did anyone from here buy the one that was on TM a while ago?

Just nosey :P
Sarah

Spunky Monkey
TNN convert

Post by Spunky Monkey » Fri May 13, 2005 10:20 pm

Thanks ladies you are wonderful help :D

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Fri May 13, 2005 11:11 pm

TheBean wrote:Stacey where did you get your press from?

Did anyone from here buy the one that was on TM a while ago?

Just nosey :P

LOL! Yes, that was me :) Im just not patient enough to wait for the slow boat from China - Id been dithering for ages if I should buy one or not, but when that one came up on TM - I just HAD to have it :P And Im looooving it. Its from Diapershop originally, I believe. (different die set up to the KAM presses from Serena - her top dies fit, bottom dont).

Stacey

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri May 13, 2005 11:51 pm

Ah - I always wondered who bought the TM one!

Spunky Monkey - just wanted to confirm pricing for you (dependent on exchange rate, of course)

Slow surface delivery (2-3 months, mine took 2.5 months) $99 US or $140 NZ approx
Fast air delivery (5 working days) $180 US or $250 NZ approx.

Extra snaps are $5 US ($7 NZ) for a set of 100 (socket, stud, 2 caps to a set) which includes air postage (5 days).

I've just been adding snaps to some nappies I've been making - very easy to do while watching a DVD!

Let us know what you decide on. (Oh, and where do you live? There may be someone near by who will let you use their press or do it for you - I'd certainly be happy to - but the postage will get expensive if you don't live locally - and then there's the case of putting on some snaps before sewing, and others going on after finishing the item).
Leanne

Spunky Monkey
TNN convert

Post by Spunky Monkey » Sat May 14, 2005 3:09 pm

Thanks Leanne you are so kind
I have emailed Serena and will order a press
Thank you so much for all your info on the press

Return to “Snaps and presses”