Hand Pushed On Snaps?

MerlinFluff
TNN convert

Hand Pushed On Snaps?

Post by MerlinFluff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am

I was thinking about getting some metal snaps you can use with this tool: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =351542799

Anyone know what this is like? I wanted to try something cheap out on mamma pads and bibs (instead of velcro) just to see if sewing is going to be something I'll carry on with (a total newbie here!! lol). Don't want to buy a snap press or pliers until I know I'll use them and not let them sit in a cupboard gathering dust :oops:

Do you think this tool and the snaps will do those small jobs, even if just for a while?

Also, any idea where to buy the metal snaps they are talking about??

sjl
TNN nerd

Re: Hand Pushed On Snaps?

Post by sjl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:08 am

That auction sounds expensive - as do their snaps - they're available at out local sewing place for about$3.50 and snaps are about the same, rather than $5.
Usually even cheaper at spottie or some emporiums.

The tool is used with a hammer rather than just pushing by hand, it can take a bit of practice to get them centred right.

Work on a non-slip surface, with a board or something underneath. I generally wiggle all the prongs through the cloth before putting on the stud/socket as I find it's more reliable.
Image Image

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:15 am

I've tried those things and its really hard to get it all centred and not moving around while you hammer it! In the end I got one of these:
http://www.snapsource.com/store/product ... ng%20Tools
and its great.

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 am

ive found the little metal tool (like in that listing) fine i wouldent want to be doing them in mass it does take a little longer than using a normal press but way cheaper than a press if your only making a few things for yourself.

beware tho the set i got was the tool with the little snaps for $2-$3 so the $5 they are wanting (plus postage im assuming) plus snaps on top could get expensive ive seen them in quite a few of the local $2 type shops and emporiums so have a look around and just see what you can find.
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

MerlinFluff
TNN convert

Post by MerlinFluff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks guys :D Very helpful!! I might see if I can find this tool elsewhere then with the snaps. Though I do live nearest to Timaru and have never even seen the tool in our Bernina sewing shop I've popped into!! Wish we had a Spotlight!

Does anyone know if they can get a cheaper price on both the tool and snaps in silver locally? I may have to ask nicely for someone to go shopping for me :wink: The $2 shop definately doesn't have them, neither does the Warehouse, I've looked!!! One other sewing shop in Timaru I can try but they are unfriendly :roll:

MerlinFluff
TNN convert

Post by MerlinFluff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Okay! I rang the unfriendly shop :wink: and got the most friendly woman on the phone so that'll teach me for lumping the whole lot of shop assistants in together :smt044 The snap press tool is $2.40 and snaps are $3.30 for 6 or $5.60 for 15 nickel ones. They also have a proper snap servive in the back which could be good for the odd thing I need snapping (apparently the press snap tool only really handles light weight materials) and they charge around $1 per snap of various sizes/colours.

Must have changed staff since I was in last LOL.

Thanks for all the help every one. I'll try this tool and just see how I go :D

Plingie
TNN guru

Post by Plingie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Beware - that tool is a fantastic way to wake all the sleeping kids in your house LOL I love using it - getting hubby's hammer and acting like a bit macho woman :P

MerlinFluff
TNN convert

Post by MerlinFluff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:35 pm

lol Plingie! I don't have that problem .... YET! But my 3 dogs may complain about being woken up though, all three are fast asleep as I write. Even the newfoundland taking up the ENTIRE sofa snoring away :rotfl:

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:03 pm

I have one of those tools - i'd be happy to gift it & some snaps to you. I love using the snap press as I find it way more reliable. If you can wait a few more weeks I can send a few more snaps (I have more coming from the US - I have about 4 sets here now though).

I hated the tool, but love the results from the snap press. Just send me a PM with your address if you want me to send it to you. :)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Darny
TNN guru

Post by Darny » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 pm

If you've put metal snaps on your bibs/ clothing DON'T soak the bibs, the metal snaps will go rusty (says the voice of experience :( )
Shar
http://www.darncat.com Clothing Patterns for Kids (and some for Mum and Dad)
http://www.facebook.com/DaRNCaT.Patterns http://darncatpatterns.blogspot.com/
http://www.nznappies.co.nz OSFM adjustable rise nappy patterns

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness' :penguin:

MerlinFluff
TNN convert

Post by MerlinFluff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:30 pm

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Wow Dunners, that is sooooo sweet of you :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

I'd LOVE to adopt your tool and some snaps. I'll PM you now :mrgreen:

MerlinFluff
TNN convert

Post by MerlinFluff » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Darny wrote:If you've put metal snaps on your bibs/ clothing DON'T soak the bibs, the metal snaps will go rusty (says the voice of experience :( )
:shock: will remember that!!!

Plingie
TNN guru

Post by Plingie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Even the newfoundland taking up the ENTIRE sofa snoring away
Ooohhhh one of my FAVOURITE breeds!! You HAVE to share pics ;)

We have a Huntaway X (I think she's crossed with a MORON lol). We love her, even when she's stinky :vibes:

I just had fun hammering on my snaps just now - ahhh there's alot of tension released :rotfl:

Return to “Snaps and presses”