snaps snap then dont snap :(

mummylove
TNN nerd

snaps snap then dont snap :(

Post by mummylove » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:39 pm

wasent really sure what to put in the above title :)

I finally managed to get my snaps to actually snap then Im like yeaaa ha I can do it! now after a few washes etc they dont snap at all.... im so anoyed cause I did heaps of bits and bobs with the snaps even made a friend a dress for her girl which most likely doesnt snap anymore and I havent asked her if she had it with that...

what Im I doing wrong? do I have to go snap them all over again...it was so much hard work my hands have blisters almost lol

:boohoo:

Minty
TNN oracle

Re: snaps snap then dont snap :(

Post by Minty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:45 pm

It's possible that your snap press needs adjusting so that the two pieces get pressed a bit closer together. You shouldn't have blisters from achieving a good snap, that's what the machine is for. If the die pieces are not coming close enough together then you might get the pieces to join, but the little knobby inside doesn't get pressed far enough in, and then sometimes they don't snap. When you look at the little knobby bit (that was the sharp pointy bit before snapping) is it squashed really flat, or does it still have quite a bit sticking out?
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

mummylove
TNN nerd

Post by mummylove » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Minty wrote:It's possible that your snap press needs adjusting so that the two pieces get pressed a bit closer together. You shouldn't have blisters from achieving a good snap, that's what the machine is for. If the die pieces are not coming close enough together then you might get the pieces to join, but the little knobby inside doesn't get pressed far enough in, and then sometimes they don't snap. When you look at the little knobby bit (that was the sharp pointy bit before snapping) is it squashed really flat, or does it still have quite a bit sticking out?
Hi I compare it to a few other nappys that have brought a while ago and pretty much the same looking? there actually is one of someones where it also worked fine and now one snap that I want to use I cant cause its doing the same.

is it because they go in the dryer ?

cause they do work good a few times/uses then all of a sudden some to all dont work :(

I did have trouble with the snap press at the start I just couldent get it to snap good, but I put the green snap press on the floor and takes quite a bit of strength and holding down for a great snap, they make it look really easy on the u-tube vids lol
I think man thats why im only doing a side snapping nappys (hubby hates them to use on bubs) cause it takes so much effort to do a usual snap nappy if you know what I mean lol

feeling a little put off,

like I made some bibs with the snaps and they worked fab for a good couple of months then now they wont snap :eh:

all I can think is the dryer ? but not having trouble with the rest of the nappies except on one nappy as mentioned that is professionally made :)

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Oh that is weird, no idea sorry. I don't have a dryer (but I reckon lots of people do dry snaps in the dryer). It really shouldn't be that hard to snap them though, just pull down firmly on the handle and let the machine do the work. I still think maybe your snap press isn't set up quite right, but if they look the same as bought ones, then I'm all out of ideas.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

Jen
TNN nerd

Post by Jen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:26 pm

I've had that happen to mine after they went in the dryer. Not sure if the heat seems to warp them or something, but I had to re-snap all the nappies that were affected. After that, I dried the flats in the dryer and the pockets on the heated towel rail ;-)

J
SAHM to Samuel (March 05), Benjamin (May 07), William (Jan 11) and Annabelle (June 13)

mummylove
TNN nerd

Post by mummylove » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 am

Minty wrote:Oh that is weird, no idea sorry. I don't have a dryer (but I reckon lots of people do dry snaps in the dryer). It really shouldn't be that hard to snap them though, just pull down firmly on the handle and let the machine do the work. I still think maybe your snap press isn't set up quite right, but if they look the same as bought ones, then I'm all out of ideas.
since its a rainy day I will have a tutu again with it when the boys is asleep :) (all going well) thanks for your help :)

mummylove
TNN nerd

Post by mummylove » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:53 am

Jen wrote:I've had that happen to mine after they went in the dryer. Not sure if the heat seems to warp them or something, but I had to re-snap all the nappies that were affected. After that, I dried the flats in the dryer and the pockets on the heated towel rail ;-)

J
thanks, I guess I will just have to do that, I just was using the dryer a bit cause keept running out of naps :lol:

Bella's mama
TNN guru

Post by Bella's mama » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Mine go fine through the dryer-on nappies and bibs.

Could you get someone else to do one and see if that makes a difference. For me the easiest way to snap is to have it on the floor, kneel beside it and press down hard. Or even better, get DH to do it :lol:
Sarah

ImageImage

ImageImage

Follow us on our family blog:
http://ramblingsofthekovacsfamily.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

mummylove
TNN nerd

Post by mummylove » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Bella's mama wrote:Mine go fine through the dryer-on nappies and bibs.

Could you get someone else to do one and see if that makes a difference. For me the easiest way to snap is to have it on the floor, kneel beside it and press down hard. Or even better, get DH to do it :lol:
I like the dh idea better :) I got about 11 nappies to do this week....and there probly a flop without having done the snaps yet :rotfl: making nappies just right for my tall monkey is very hard work itself....if they dont fit Im just gona save up to but some already done least I tryed tho :rotfl:

Return to “Snaps and presses”