KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

User avatar
Jen
TNN nerd
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ

KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Jen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Hiya,

Has anyone bought one of these:

http://www.assuntastore.com/Snap-Press- ... s-p10.html


and used it to attach these snaps from here:

http://www.snapsource.com/store/product ... =Size%2016

or these ones:

http://www.snapsource.com/store/product ... 16%20Pearl

????

I'm tempted to get the die (from Serena or KAM - open to advice about which would be better ;-) ) but would like to be able to take advantage of the better colour range at the snapsource website. (the colours on the KAM site are fairly limited.)


Does anyone have any experience with using this die on the press? And/or ordering the metal snaps from snapsource? Are the two compatible, and do they have a decent "strength" of snap (for want of a better word. ;-) )

I have far too many resin snaps 8-[ already, but they're a bit clunky for dressmaking use, and I think I'd find a lot of uses for the metal ones.

Thanks in advance,

Jen
SAHM to Samuel (March 05), Benjamin (May 07), William (Jan 11) and Annabelle (June 13)

sjl
TNN nerd
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 pm
Location: Lower Hutt

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by sjl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:11 pm

try this thread...

http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/forum ... ilit=+snap

and I can try and answer any other q's too...
Image Image

User avatar
Jen
TNN nerd
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Jen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Ahh.....Cool :-) Thanks for that :-) I did search but didn't come up with that thread, for some reason.

So....just to confirm, you ordered the die set from Serena, and both open/closed snaps from snapsource, and they work together, right? Snapsource looks like it has a better range than snapstore - I like the look of the closed cap pearl snaps...wonder if they'd work with the die?

Are you happy with how well the open ring snaps hold once they're attached?

Cheers,

Jen
SAHM to Samuel (March 05), Benjamin (May 07), William (Jan 11) and Annabelle (June 13)

sjl
TNN nerd
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 pm
Location: Lower Hutt

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by sjl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:58 pm

snap source def has a better range. Postage is a killer though. I tried to organise a co-op a while back but didn't get any takers.
The first lot of snaps I got from them was bought back by a friend which made it much better cost wise - think it still worked out around 40c a snap? (though that'll differ a lot with the current exchange rate).
I've been quite happy with how the snaps (both open and closed) hold up - you can see a few bits I've used them on in my homemade gallery

The pearl snaps (which I also got some of) won't work in the die set as they are too large.

I recently ordered some off this etsy seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/mrwalrus2009 - haven't tried them on anything yet though.
Image Image

User avatar
Jen
TNN nerd
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Jen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:51 am

Cool :-) Thanks for that.

Were the pearl snaps too high/rounded to fit in the closed cap part of the metal snap die? Do you think there'd be any way of Macgyvering it to make it work?

...and wow - 40 cents a snap! That's really expensive! I haven't figured things out with the current exchange rate but am hoping it's a bit cheaper.

I don't suppose you've also bought a die set for attaching grommets, have you? That's the other gadget I've been thinking of getting, but I can't seem to find them online anywhere - though I seem to remember Leanne (Dunners) bought one from somewhere. Neither the KAM site nor Serena's shop seem to have them, though.... :detective:

Thanks for your replies :-)

J
SAHM to Samuel (March 05), Benjamin (May 07), William (Jan 11) and Annabelle (June 13)

sjl
TNN nerd
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 pm
Location: Lower Hutt

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by sjl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:20 am

Jen wrote: Were the pearl snaps too high/rounded to fit in the closed cap part of the metal snap die?
Yes - this
Jen wrote: Do you think there'd be any way of Macgyvering it to make it work?
depends on how good you are at Macgyvering :lol: I have been thinking on the same lines - Based on the ones they sell (like this http://www.sewingdirect.co.nz/woolshop/ ... cts_id=902) I'm thinking that the first thing to try is simply a rubber washer of the right diameter placed on the die part - maybe held down with a bit of blutack.

No - I haven't got one for grommets - if Leanne hasn't seen this you could try pming her...
Image Image

Dunners
TNN oracle
Posts: 17750
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: Ōtautahi

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Dunners » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:05 am

Seen it!

The grommet set was about from a lady whom has since shut up shop due to poor health. The Snapstore sold them, but they are (were?) more expensive than the place I bought them from http://thesnapstore.com/catalog/product ... ts_id/1004

Charles Parsons has some, their grommets are slightly bigger than mine though. And I think their dies were about $80 - spendy, but at least you could get locally-supplied grommets (not sure how prices compare).

I just love my grommet set - it's a fab thing to have & I use it often.

I bought metal ring caps from LWR (bargain find, spent about $10 buying thousands of caps of about 10 different colours?). The other pieces (stud & socket) I bought from Kam snaps (they work perfectly together btw sjl).

I've not bought any full caps, though there are some printed ones I'd love to get, I've just never gotten around to ordering any.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

sjl
TNN nerd
Posts: 1331
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 pm
Location: Lower Hutt

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by sjl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Jen wrote: ...and wow - 40 cents a snap! That's really expensive! I haven't figured things out with the current exchange rate but am hoping it's a bit cheaper.
Realised that my receipt was still pinned to my notice board so worked out cost based on current exchange rate

330 snaps (a mix of sizes, pearl decorative etc but mainly size 16 open/closed prong) cost $87.65 USD including internal US postage.
at todays exchange rate that works out at about 33c per snap which is a bit cheaper.
Image Image

User avatar
drlauren
TNN nerd
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by drlauren » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Dunners wrote:Seen it!

The grommet set was about from a lady whom has since shut up shop due to poor health. The Snapstore sold them, but they are (were?) more expensive than the place I bought them from http://thesnapstore.com/catalog/product ... ts_id/1004

Charles Parsons has some, their grommets are slightly bigger than mine though. And I think their dies were about $80 - spendy, but at least you could get locally-supplied grommets (not sure how prices compare).

I just love my grommet set - it's a fab thing to have & I use it often.

I bought metal ring caps from LWR (bargain find, spent about $10 buying thousands of caps of about 10 different colours?). The other pieces (stud & socket) I bought from Kam snaps (they work perfectly together btw sjl).

I've not bought any full caps, though there are some printed ones I'd love to get, I've just never gotten around to ordering any.
:( just googled LWR and they are in receivership

where do you buy your actual grommets from? is there a standard size?
Image
Image

User avatar
Jen
TNN nerd
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Jen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks for the replies :-)

FYI (for anyone looking for grommet dies)

I emailed Serena and she is able to source both grommets and grommet dies. Leanne - if you read this (otherwise I'll PM) what size grommets does your die use? Serena said she can get an inner diameter of 1 cm and 1.2 cm, and possibly smaller & larger, and I'm wondering what would be the most useful (for dressmaking use - like holes for drawstrings to go through etc.)
Do you have to punch a hole with an awl first or are the grommets self-piercing?

Has anyone used the woolly poly serger thread on her site? I'm thinking of ordering some, after melting my woolly nylon the other day :oops: when I was pressing a seam. I like the finish of woolly nylon but something that is able to take a bit of heat from an iron would be even better.


CHeers,

J
SAHM to Samuel (March 05), Benjamin (May 07), William (Jan 11) and Annabelle (June 13)

Dunners
TNN oracle
Posts: 17750
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: Ōtautahi

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Dunners » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:01 am

Yay that Serena can get them!

My grommets have an internal space diameter of 7 mm, with an external diameter of 12mm. (the Charles Parsons one have a slightly chunkier ring at 8 mm internal/13 mm external).

Grommets are self-piercing, no awl required. They're super-easy to use and give the most beautiful finish! Size-wise, this size that I have is just perfect - I have used them on clothing, hats, bags.

Haven't used the poly serger thread from her site, but it has good reviews. I don't think it would be a bad investment. My only hesitation is the shipping - I can't work out how it works these days (tried to place an mostly non-snap order the other day for some Chc ladies & I & shipping was going to be $28 for $90 of stuff. So that order didn't go ahead).
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

User avatar
drlauren
TNN nerd
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by drlauren » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 am

Yay for grommets from Serena, I'm wanting a couple of things from her now.

I'd like grommets for making a quiet book some time so i thing the hole would need to be a decent size?

Where else do people use them? (just so i can plan ahead and get all i may need at once)

silly question but are the sizes mentioned the final squashed sizes?
Image
Image

Dunners
TNN oracle
Posts: 17750
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: Ōtautahi

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Dunners » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Sorry - missed your question (had come back to find out what the other snap store was mentioned on here - haven't been to snapsource before... btw if snapstore or snap source have a referral system and someone will benefit, feel free to refer me on the off-chance I do buy something 8-[ )

I use grommets in anything that needs a drawstring like finish (my machine isn't good with buttonholes, so I find grommets a beautiful (and quick!) finish!). I have used them in hats (with elastic around the crown to tighten/loosen according to wind factor ;) and for the waist of pants (and use drawstring elastic which I really love using). I don't regard it as an essential in the sense of using it all the time, but when I do use it, the result is always perfect.

The size is unpressed. I'm not sure how the size differs when pressed - I've never really thought about it. When pressed the inner bit pierces the fabric and is forced outwards to seal it all on.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Gaia
TNN guru
Posts: 8183
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:50 pm
Location: under the rainbow

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by Gaia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:57 pm

If anyone is going to put in an order for grommet die and grommets I'd be keen to add an order for one and share shipping.
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

User avatar
drlauren
TNN nerd
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: KAM metal snap die and open ring snaps

Post by drlauren » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Dunners wrote:Sorry - missed your question (had come back to find out what the other snap store was mentioned on here - haven't been to snapsource before... btw if snapstore or snap source have a referral system and someone will benefit, feel free to refer me on the off-chance I do buy something 8-[ )

I use grommets in anything that needs a drawstring like finish (my machine isn't good with buttonholes, so I find grommets a beautiful (and quick!) finish!). I have used them in hats (with elastic around the crown to tighten/loosen according to wind factor ;) and for the waist of pants (and use drawstring elastic which I really love using). I don't regard it as an essential in the sense of using it all the time, but when I do use it, the result is always perfect.

The size is unpressed. I'm not sure how the size differs when pressed - I've never really thought about it. When pressed the inner bit pierces the fabric and is forced outwards to seal it all on.
:D thanks
would a ring binder ring fit through your grommet holes do you think? or would a bit bigger be better, i'm ditthering about sizes like always (only took me a year to decide on binder sizes :lol: )
Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Snaps and presses”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests