Help with Velcro please

shorty
TNN nerd

Help with Velcro please

Post by shorty » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm having a go at making a protective gastro tube belt so that a wee girl can play sports at school without getting the tube knocked.
Does anyone know a fabric that reliably sticks to Velcro ( time after time). It would really help the design process ( though I'm off to bed to ponder more as I go to sleep!

Thanks

Kaz
TNN guru

Re: Help with Velcro please

Post by Kaz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 am

I have some velcro loop fabric, unfortunately it is already packed away. I will try to find some if I get a chance.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 am

Sorry - I didn't explain well. I do have loop Velcro but need something more flexible that sticks to the hook. Will come back and explain better when I'm not typing on my phone :) thanks Kaz :)

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 am

velcro loop fabric is fabric made like the loop strip.

its like this

I have some too if Kaz cant find any. i have white.

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Ive got some white too
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:12 pm

8-) Now I get it! Next Q is how thin is that fabric? Is it thinner than the velcro loop tape? Is it expensive?

I've made the belt part from wetsuit fabric and have found a plastic molded lid that will cover the gastro fitting. So there is a donut shaped part ( 2inch hole in a 4inch circle) that goes over the wee girls tummy and gastro tube. The lid sits on the donut part and covers the exposed tube end. I just need to work out an easy way for the lid to be held securely over the hole. I'm thinking that I could use velcro fabric that covers the whole lid and attaches around the remaining donut part of the wetsuit fabric (to which i will attach hook velcro.

Hope thats understandable- all suggestions welcome :)

Thanks again

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm

its more fabric like than the loop tape that comes with velcro. it would bend one way at a time - but if you were going to cut like a but circle of it to seal all around the lid then it would bunch up and not be smooth. it would probaly be be best to make a cotton circle to cover it, sew one half/side of it down, then have the loop fabric as a backing on the other half of the circle - with the loop fabric sewen on the neopreene.

does that make sense?

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Yep - that makes good sense. Thanks heaps Anthea :) Will have a go with what I have here and see what it turns out like!

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 am

I finished :D
Thanks for that idea of sewing other fabric on top Anthea. I ended up making a kind of stretchy cover that I stitched onto another neoprene donut shape which had some loop fabric already on one side 8-) so that stuck to the Velcro great! The hard lid fits through the hole in the donut and is held in by the lycra cover- then the whole thing attaches to the belt over the gastro tube. Sounds good in theory and looks ok - lets hope it works for the wee girl :) I cant download on here at the moment but there is a pic on my FB page http://www.facebook.com/BigKidsPants
man - my machine HATES neoprene! It threw a complete spaz. That's why I'm still awake now :roll:

Thanks again for the ideas :)

Anthea
TNN nerd

Post by Anthea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:28 am

looks great :D

hey quick question - would your training pants hold in pee overnight? DD is having issues getting up in time and waking up in time to go to the loo at night - and sometimes wee's as shes waking up, or getting out of bed. would you be able to put in extra absorbancy and some quick absorb layers?

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 am

Anything with a cotton outer is going to wick wetness pretty fast , especially when the child is lying down so the wee hits unevenly. Night pants is one of the design challenges that's had me beat for a while! Anything with a PUL outer is better for night but then it feels like a nappy, especially with enough absorbency to mop up a big night wee. I think night trsining undies might be an oxymoron??!
How big is your dd? I have a pair of undies I designed with a snap in gusset that might help if she is waking as soon as she wees. You are welcome to them (no cost) if they fit as they don't fit my dd:) I would still use a wet bed sheet though :) PM me :)

Return to “Fabrics and Notions”