Webbing for Bunting?

MissNaani
TNN nerd

Webbing for Bunting?

Post by MissNaani » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 am

I am planning on having quite a lot of bunting at my wedding in february. As in a couple of hundred metres, at least!!!!

Problem is, i would like to use cotton webbing but i can only find it for about $2 a metre (spotlight, couple of other shops around town) which will make it rather expensive. I can go down to 100 metres if i have to but $2 a metre is still too much for me to warrant paying.

So, anyone know any good cheap sources of cotton webbing? army disposals seem to do it and im not fussed about colour. just cant be arsed sewing fabric to make the same thing. im interested if anyone knows any good off-shore suppliers as ive got time to wait for an import if i have to.
miss naani (previously known as misi)

krisha
TNN oracle

Re: Webbing for Bunting?

Post by krisha » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:38 pm

I brought cheap rolls of grosgrain ribbon and sewed two layers together with the bunting bits sandwiched between (was what I had on hand, when I went to make it!!)

Ribbon was from here:
http://www.giftwrapping.co.nz/products/ ... logID=6147

Worked out about 20 cents a metre-ish

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:33 am

got any emporium style places up there - I used to get mine from an emporium. Otherwise keep an eye on TM in both the wholesale-business industry area and the craft area. I have seen people selling full rolls on there cheap.

Does it need to all be in one length????
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

MissNaani
TNN nerd

Post by MissNaani » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Grosgrain ribbon - good idea. more in that its more common so likely to find cheap whereas webbing seems to be a rare find therefore pricey.

Yeh im not fussed about lengths, but width would need to be the same. gonna check out geoffs emporium which is great for things like this. But im thinking ribbon may be the best option. good call!

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 am

Hey had an idea the other day - depending on how wide you want it - I brought a roll of elastic 9mm of TM for like next to nothing a few years back and it is awesome and I know they still sell it - so is elastic an option - if it is I will hunt out the seller for you - all I can remember is he was a wholesale site in napier/hastings and sells bulk rolls of material and manchester cheap as - they have really good cheap wedding material too if you can watch the $1 reserve auctions when closing and get.
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

MissNaani
TNN nerd

Post by MissNaani » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Yeh ive been wondering about elastic...cos there is heaps on TM....im not sure it would work but maybe i should buy a little bit and try?

Damn thing though is my mums sewing maching has just carked it so im gonna have to buy one i think....how good are the cheap ones at spotlight anyone???

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Dont know never brought one - I did buy my overlocker from spotty and have never had an issue.

I think the obvious thing with elastic is the stretch but that could play to your advantage for tieing and corners and things if a bunting is sitting right on a corner you could just stretch it around the corner.
Image Image

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:55 pm

I used elastic when I made some, 50c per metre :).
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Did have another idea of using Bias Binding - cause you can get that cheap too or make your own - I saw a template on Pininterest somewhere today for making oyur own bias tape using a piece of card to pull it thorough - or you can just buy the little gadget thingy from spotlight - then its just a matter of cutting any cheap fabric to the right width (which can be done by rolling it, pinning it and cutting x widths) and then either making them and sewing them all together or sewing the ends all together and making one big long piece at once.

Just another idea.
Image Image

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 pm

what about something like this
http://www.trademe.co.nz/crafts/sewing/ ... 280498.htm
she's got lots of different colours and it's all very cheap.

MissNaani
TNN nerd

Post by MissNaani » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 pm

I found some!!!! the canvas company had some white to get rid of so i got it for half price at $0.80 a metre - still not cheap but i got 100 metres.

We had wanted to just do single layer, pinking shears-edged flags but cos its all woven (so print on both sides) and fabric is all starting to arrive it looks like we will prob need to sew two sides together and fold inside out :( more effort than i wanted but i reckon it will look much better!! That planning permission for the park where we want the wedding better come through!!!!

Also instead of making bunting for the reception back at our place, i found some large rectangle doilies at Gilmours and am going to cut them in half and cut out shapes (prob with hole puncher type thing) to make mexican wedding bunting for back at home. Total cost $12 for probably 50 odd metres so im saving there. I asked my mexican freind if she thought i should just get some sent over from mexico but apparently they are pretty tacky (plastic or flimsy tissue paper) and she was impressed with the doilies and how they will look.

so fingers crossed, total wedding decorations will come in well under $300 - including tissue pompoms, tonnes of bunting, chinese lanterns, glow sticks inside balloons for the spa, and tea lights hung from ribbons in little jars in the trees. that last one I found on pinterest and have had a gazillion re-pins so its a pretty popular decoration!

Return to “Fabrics and Notions”