The difference in felts?

grizle
TNN nerd

The difference in felts?

Post by grizle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:33 am

What is the difference in using acrylic and wool felt? Is one better than the other when doing certain projects? Can you buy a wool/nylon blend in NZ? Ive heard the wool don't wear as much so is better suited to kids toys. I also know that wool felt is a lot dearer to buy then acrylic.
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Plingie
TNN guru

Re: The difference in felts?

Post by Plingie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 am

In my (limited) experience, wool felt is thicker so gives that nice, crisp edge that I like with felt. Acrylic felt is thinner. BUT this is only from me comparing them at Spotlight - you may be able to get thicker acrylic felts elsewhere?

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:13 pm

You can get different thicknesses in both wool and acrylic felts. Spotlight have a viscose/wool mix but I haven't seen any here with nylon in it. Stitchbird stock a wool/rayon mix as well as 100% wool.
I use acrylic felt sometimes - especially because you can usually get a wider range of colours but it creeps me out working with it - it makes my fingers feel funny.
If used eco-felt as well which is made from recycled bottles and that's not too bad to work with.
None of the felt stuff I've made has needed to be particularly durable so I haven't noticed the wear factor.

You could try etsy?
Image Image

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:43 pm

sjl wrote:You can get different thicknesses in both wool and acrylic felts. Spotlight have a viscose/wool mix but I haven't seen any here with nylon in it. Stitchbird stock a wool/rayon mix as well as 100% wool.
I use acrylic felt sometimes - especially because you can usually get a wider range of colours but it creeps me out working with it - it makes my fingers feel funny.
If used eco-felt as well which is made from recycled bottles and that's not too bad to work with.
None of the felt stuff I've made has needed to be particularly durable so I haven't noticed the wear factor.

You could try etsy?
Not worried about where to buy it, just wanting to make toys for the kids and it was suggested to use wool but :twitch: at the cost. Just trying to work out whether the extra $$ are worth it long term. The best way is to probably try some...
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Return to “Fabrics and Notions”