Ordering fabric from the USA

lovesJax
TNN addict

Ordering fabric from the USA

Post by lovesJax » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:54 pm

Im thinking about ordering some fabrics from the US and wondering are there any taxes or fees or anything that i should be aware of before ordering I dont think il spend more that $200NZD

Also Im looking at http://www.hawthornethreads.com is that a good site? And are there any others that I should be looking at?

TIA :)

sjl
TNN nerd

Re: Ordering fabric from the USA

Post by sjl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Hawthorne threads are great, there's lots of others as well, but if you've found what you want there then use them.
You should be fine with nzd200 for avoiding any duty.
Image Image

stardust1
TNN nerd

Post by stardust1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:19 pm

www.fabric.com is a really good one too.
Check out Stardust Designs brand here;
http://www.facebook.com/designsbystardust
License holder for Tiny Tuck-Ins, and watch this space for the sole license holder of another popular nappy.
Taylor - 01/07/03 - :monkey: Ella-Jayne - 30/06/08 - :princess:

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 pm

I really recommend Hawthornes. They are my preferred supplier :D I placed an order with them a few days ago, and it was notified as being shipped an hour later. Parcel from them have arrived in 5 days, the most time has been 10 days. Could be slower at this time of the year though.

lovesJax
TNN addict

Post by lovesJax » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:55 pm

I just placed my first order I'm so excited cant wait to get my stuff! Just wondering what type of shipping people use tracked or non tracked? Also do you bother with insurance?

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I use Hawthorne as well as fatquartershop.com and fabricshack.com; have found all to be good to deal with.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Vivianne
TNN guru

Post by Vivianne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 pm

They only track as far as the airport, then it's not tracked. So don't pay for that. No insurance.

Aitchy
TNN nerd

Post by Aitchy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Threadjack here, I love the look of those fabric sites, can anyone point me in the direction of the best heavier weight fabric to use for covering a bedroom chair?

thanks!

Hermione

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Most sites have a home decor page and some narrow it down even further so you can then choose upholstery like
fabric.com - http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.as ... a376046a5e

hawthorne threads have home decor as a category - http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/home_dec

A lot of the time the fabric weight will be specified as Home decor so you know it's more robust than quilting fabric but there's a lot of variation in terms of fabric weight and durability within that. A bedroom chair (generally!) will not be heavily used so it doesn't need to be as durable as say a footstool covering that's used every day. So even the lighter home decor weight fabric should be ok (and they are easier to work with :wink: )
Image Image

Harm Less Solutions
TNN convert

Post by Harm Less Solutions » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:54 am

The 'tax free' allowance for imported items is about NZ$400 (including postage cost). This is based on potential GST payable of $60 or more. Any more than that and GST and (if applicable) import duty will be payable before your consignment is released by Customs to NZ Post. More info here from NZ Customs website.

If you're purchasing close to $400 or more consider splitting your order by at least a few days as Customs will combine multiple orders to the same recipient if they are processed together.
www.HarmLessSolutions.co.nz
Bambu Dru Organic Bamboo Clothing & Fabrics - Life changing DVDs - Eco Wood Treatment

Return to “Fabrics and Notions”