Organising an auction - Auctions are UP!! link on 1st page

User avatar
AmberLeah
TNN nerd
Posts: 4084
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Tauranga

Organising an auction - Auctions are UP!! link on 1st page

Post by AmberLeah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 am

Auctions are UP!
If you want to bid on some handmade goodies, heres the link
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=441801

Oh wise ladies here on TNN
I just discovered that the Robbie in this article
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=10892490
is the Robbie I went to school with and I want to do something to help out him and his family
So I thought about running an auction on facebook like I have seen others do
auctioning off crafty goodness or anything that people are prepared to donate.......I know I could just donate money myself but it wouldn't be much so I want to do something that will give the family a bit more of a boost that they desperately need

So those of you who have done this before can you please give me some pointers?
Do I set up a page for this or tag it on my facebook page? I have my own page plus my angel inspired page that I could use
How have you gone about getting donations? just asking through facebook?
I have loads of crafty friends that I am sure would donate to such a good course & of course have many items that a I make myself that I will donate

There is only 7 weeks till he needs the money for his operation so I want to get this underway this week :wink:

Any suggestions much appreciated
Last edited by AmberLeah on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Image

Image

Image
Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

User avatar
Minty
TNN oracle
Posts: 11991
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:24 am
Contact:

Re: Organising an auction

Post by Minty » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:24 am

I ran a big charity auction a couple of years back and raised about $1500. I asked for donations and then set about photographing, describing and loading pictures. TradeMe waived the success fees on a special account I set up, so I could do it all on TradeMe. With it running on TradeMe you have fairly large audience aside from the people you can directly link to. Plus most people know how to use TradeMe (even the ones not on FB), so it is a good platform for wide appeal and easy use.

I asked people for descriptions of donated items which saved me lots of time (i.e. what size things are, what fabric they are made of etc.). I purchased prepaid courier bags from FastPost to send all the items out.

It was a huge amount of work, but raised good money. Seven weeks isn't much time to run an auction if you are asking for crafty stuff, because people need time to make it and get it to you (although some people may already have items ready, or in some cases I was auctioning one-off items to be made after the auction).

I'd be happy to donate some special (not currently available) sets of buttons if you decide to go ahead with an auction.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

User avatar
AmberLeah
TNN nerd
Posts: 4084
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Tauranga

Re: Organising an auction

Post by AmberLeah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks Minty I hadn't even thought of trade me but you're right that might be a better option and have a much wider audience - I'll contact them :D

I would love some of your buttons to auction, thanks so much for the offer :smt049 I'll let you know once I'm all sorted :wink:
Image

Image

Image

Image
Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

nicky-noodle
TNN guru
Posts: 5140
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:46 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Organising an auction

Post by nicky-noodle » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 am

I've got an apron kit that i won from a FB give away I'd be happy to donate.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

User avatar
AmberLeah
TNN nerd
Posts: 4084
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Tauranga

Re: Organising an auction

Post by AmberLeah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am

nicky-noodle wrote:I've got an apron kit that i won from a FB give away I'd be happy to donate.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Aww thanks Nicky :smt049 you ladies are awesome!! I'll PM you my address :wink:

I've just had a few other donations from friends so I am definitely going to make this happen \:D/ even if I may be pushing it for time. I'm up for the challenge and would like to think that others would do the same to help me out if the need ever arose :vibes:
Image

Image

Image

Image
Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

User avatar
goose
TNN nerd
Posts: 2209
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Hawke's Bay

Re: Organising an auction

Post by goose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:08 am

I have some things here that I'm happy to donate too, already made so can get them in the post tomorrow if you let me know your address :vibes:
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

User avatar
AmberLeah
TNN nerd
Posts: 4084
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Tauranga

Re: Organising an auction

Post by AmberLeah » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:19 am

goose wrote:I have some things here that I'm happy to donate too, already made so can get them in the post tomorrow if you let me know your address :vibes:
Aww thanks Rachael that's so kind of you :vibes:
I'll PM you now :wink:
Image

Image

Image

Image
Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

User avatar
goose
TNN nerd
Posts: 2209
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Hawke's Bay

Re: Organising an auction

Post by goose » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:05 pm

AmberLeah wrote:
goose wrote:I have some things here that I'm happy to donate too, already made so can get them in the post tomorrow if you let me know your address :vibes:
Aww thanks Rachael that's so kind of you :vibes:
I'll PM you now :wink:
Hey no worries. I saw an article about this man a few days ago, somewhere on facebook I think. It took me straight back to my very early days as a nurse, working in a neurosurgery ward in a big Sydney hospital..... some sad memories from that place so it's nice to be able to do something positive for someone in that position.
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

User avatar
AmberLeah
TNN nerd
Posts: 4084
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Tauranga

Re: Organising an auction

Post by AmberLeah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 pm

goose wrote:
Hey no worries. I saw an article about this man a few days ago, somewhere on facebook I think. It took me straight back to my very early days as a nurse, working in a neurosurgery ward in a big Sydney hospital..... some sad memories from that place so it's nice to be able to do something positive for someone in that position.
:vibes:

Well I heard from trade me and they will waive the success fees \:D/ so its all go, I'm just going to use my usual account and set up the auctions that are ready to go now up this week and then do another bulk lot next week :D
Image

Image

Image

Image
Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

User avatar
Minty
TNN oracle
Posts: 11991
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:24 am
Contact:

Re: Organising an auction

Post by Minty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:36 pm

AmberLeah wrote:
goose wrote:
Hey no worries. I saw an article about this man a few days ago, somewhere on facebook I think. It took me straight back to my very early days as a nurse, working in a neurosurgery ward in a big Sydney hospital..... some sad memories from that place so it's nice to be able to do something positive for someone in that position.
:vibes:

Well I heard from trade me and they will waive the success fees \:D/ so its all go, I'm just going to use my usual account and set up the auctions that are ready to go now up this week and then do another bulk lot next week :D
Can I suggest that you put them all up at the same time? When you do your 'advertising' (spamming everyone via TNN, FB, personal email etc.) it has a lot more impact if all the auctions are ready to go, and you remove the risk that someone who looks early won't go back and then misses the must have thing that you load later. If you want to spread the work of loading them all, then list them under 'My products' but don't make them live yet (and set them all the '1' item). Then you can go to the My Products page, and activate them all at the same time, but you can load one here and one there as the items come in.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

krisha
TNN oracle
Posts: 13625
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: Organising an auction

Post by krisha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Send me through your address as well, more than happy to donate something :)

User avatar
AmberLeah
TNN nerd
Posts: 4084
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Tauranga

Re: Organising an auction

Post by AmberLeah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Minty wrote:
AmberLeah wrote:
goose wrote:
Hey no worries. I saw an article about this man a few days ago, somewhere on facebook I think. It took me straight back to my very early days as a nurse, working in a neurosurgery ward in a big Sydney hospital..... some sad memories from that place so it's nice to be able to do something positive for someone in that position.
:vibes:

Well I heard from trade me and they will waive the success fees \:D/ so its all go, I'm just going to use my usual account and set up the auctions that are ready to go now up this week and then do another bulk lot next week :D
Can I suggest that you put them all up at the same time? When you do your 'advertising' (spamming everyone via TNN, FB, personal email etc.) it has a lot more impact if all the auctions are ready to go, and you remove the risk that someone who looks early won't go back and then misses the must have thing that you load later. If you want to spread the work of loading them all, then list them under 'My products' but don't make them live yet (and set them all the '1' item). Then you can go to the My Products page, and activate them all at the same time, but you can load one here and one there as the items come in.
Thanks Nic didnt realise you could list then activate later on & yes you're right having them all at the same time will have more impact so thats what ill do ;)

Thanks Krisha thats so kind of you :) ill send you my address now
Image

Image

Image

Image
Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

User avatar
Callum's godmother
TNN guru
Posts: 7585
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: Horowhenua

Re: Organising an auction

Post by Callum's godmother » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:48 pm

oh that's heart breaking Amberleah ... and only 7 weeks to raise money. I can donate something for a tm auction ... just need to work out what ... maybe some of my possum wool ... have baby beanies but they sell for such a small amount won't raise much!!!

User avatar
AmberLeah
TNN nerd
Posts: 4084
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am
Location: Tauranga

Re: Organising an auction

Post by AmberLeah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Callum's godmother wrote:oh that's heart breaking Amberleah ... and only 7 weeks to raise money. I can donate something for a tm auction ... just need to work out what ... maybe some of my possum wool ... have baby beanies but they sell for such a small amount won't raise much!!!
Every little bit helps no matter how small :smt049
Image

Image

Image

Image
Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

User avatar
rangitotogirl
TNN oracle
Posts: 13777
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Whangaparaoa
Contact:

Re: Organising an auction

Post by rangitotogirl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 pm

They are doing amazingly well with their fundraising and will get there very soon by the looks. I think they started fundraising at the beginning of this week and already up to $70000+. They've devoted their lives to giving and it's all flooding back.

Here is their Givealittle page:

http://www.givealittle.co.nz/member/Rob ... brainfixed
Image

http://www.carrymybaby.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/carrymybabynewzealand

http://www.scarecrowfarm.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/scarecrowfarm
http://www.mobywrap.co.nz

Post Reply

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests