Baby pack project - South Africa

ditto
TNN guru

Baby pack project - South Africa

Post by ditto » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 pm

Could we help these people? I've contacted the woman who runs it to check it out - seems legit :)

http://www.freewebs.com/babypackproject/index.htm

The Baby Pack Project is a small charitable project aimed at providing under-privileged mothers of newborn babies on the lower south coast of Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa, with a pack of the most basic items needed for a new born baby. The Baby Pack Project came about in 2005 when local lady Gill Richardson, saw newborn babies leave Ntabeni clinic in Kwa Zulu Natal wrapped in newspaper because the mothers had nothing else to wrap them in.

Sadly nappies / diapers are rarely donated as these must be cloth/reusable fabric ones NOT disposables, so we’re especially grateful for nappies/diapers sent, whether new or recycled.

They most need:
- flat nappies or prefolds (I assume fitteds would be OK too - size nb/small)
- waterproof nappy covers (nb or small)
- knitted cardies/jerseys (nb or 0-3 months)
- stretch'n'grows (nb or 0-3 months)
- bibs
- singlets (nb or 0-3 months)
- booties or socks
- baby blankets
- baby towels

Apparently some is going to new mothers in the hospital, and some is going to orphanages that care for babies whose mothers can't look after them.

Used stuff is fine. I'm happy to collect stuff and organise postage - or if someone in each main centre would like to collect and do that it may save postage within NZ.

If anyone would like to contribute towards postage to SA, that would be lovely too :)
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:56 pm

I would of thought they EC'd babies....

I was about to drop off heaps of stuff to the sallies so i guess i can dig out the small stuff and send it to you instead.

Ali
TNN nerd

Post by Ali » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:12 pm

I like the idea of helping people over there. I will also send that link to my friends and family over there.
Ali
<-- Someone got hold of a felt pen!!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;54;95/st/20060527/n/Isobella+Elliott/dt/16/k/f048/age.png[/img]
[/url]

Ethan's Mum
TNN nerd

Post by Ethan's Mum » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:14 pm

Mel wrote:I would of thought they EC'd babies....

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. :wink:

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:25 pm

What a great project.
I would be happy to be a base for the Waikato area. Prob have a fair bit of stuff myself and could arrange to collect from any Hamilton TNNRS.

Esther do we need to make up the 'packs' ourselves or just send whatever we get for them to use in packs?
Also, what kind of time frame are you thinking of to get stuff together?

Thanks for getting it 'out there' !!

JandC
Queen of the sewing machine

Post by JandC » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 pm

When I have the time to sort through the hundreds of suitcases I have i'm sure I can find some clothing to send.. I'm a pockets girl with bamboo inserts so wouldn't have any nappy related things to send...unless they perhaps want some wipes?
Natalie *Mum of MissJ 10yrs, MrC 8yrs and MissA 6yrs*

When you don't give up, you cannot fail

shortly
TNN guru

Post by shortly » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 pm

It'd be pretty hard to EC a baby in an orphanage. Also, this is Natal - not sure if they are tribal people per se.
Sheryl

Mum to Shay (17) Alison (7) and Rebecca (6), obsessive knitter, full-time teacher, and *still* working on my Masters. Not long to go now!!

spikybrain
TNN nutter

Post by spikybrain » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:06 am

Just after DD was born I sent off some baby packs, I can't remember if it was to the same people or not, they are certainly asking for the same type of items and the story sounds very similiar - it would be nice to think that the charity was still on the go. MIL has already knitted baby James so many cardys (that he's already grown out of), I'm sure I could put together some more packs.
Jacqueline
www.nappymakers.com for quick drying bamboo nappies and nappy making fabric in the UK and www.glasgowrealnappynetwork.co.uk for cloth nappy advice

mandli
TNN guru

Post by mandli » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:31 am

I could knit up some booties for you to send.
Lisa, mama to Maya, no more nappies here!

[url=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/971631.png[/img][/url]

ditto
TNN guru

Post by ditto » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:50 am

shorty wrote:What a great project.
I would be happy to be a base for the Waikato area. Prob have a fair bit of stuff myself and could arrange to collect from any Hamilton TNNRS.

Esther do we need to make up the 'packs' ourselves or just send whatever we get for them to use in packs?
Also, what kind of time frame are you thinking of to get stuff together?

Thanks for getting it 'out there' !!

Thanks, Jenny! They assemble the packs over there, so we can just donate what we've got. I'm not sure about a timeframe - maybe six weeks from now?

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:32 pm

aw i can make a few nb fitteds they are so cute and easy to make. i might have some clothes too.

when did this all need to be together by?
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

embejo
TNN nerd

Post by embejo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:26 pm

I love this! I'm happy to send stuff too from Auckland...

Ditto....I'm happy to send to SA from here, or we can put stuff together...depends on costs I guess. Shall I let you know how much stuff I end up with? I've posted in on my blog and open for donation thru there till 1st May.

Not trying to step on your toes....so if you want to send it, I'll send to you...
Mother of four lovely children
DD 8 years. DS 6 years. DS 4 years. DS 1 year.

ditto
TNN guru

Post by ditto » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:43 pm

That sounds great, embejo. I sent some stuff over recently and it was about $2 a nappy cover to post, so not cheap. So it's best if you send it directly to SA from Auckland. I hope we can share out any postage money donations to everyone who'd posting stuff.

Should we make a cut-off of mid-May?

embejo
TNN nerd

Post by embejo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Sheesh! That's expensive...*wondering if we can get postage sponsorship from nz post or something*

Yep, mid may sounds good...will let you know how I go. Here's my blog link if you're interested and I'm just off to my facebook to post something there too!

http://embejoetc.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/baby-pack-project/

If I get any $ donations for shipping, i'll let you know and we can share it or whatever.
Mother of four lovely children
DD 8 years. DS 6 years. DS 4 years. DS 1 year.

Ethan's Mum
TNN nerd

Post by Ethan's Mum » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:43 pm

I have some knitted jerseys here that I'm happy to donate. They've never been worn as Ethan's aunty knitted stacks and stacks and stacks of stuff - and they definately won't fit Ethan this winter.

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”