Woollens for Zimbabwe! Charity drive?

West_Mum
TNN nerd

Woollens for Zimbabwe! Charity drive?

Post by West_Mum » Thu May 21, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi!

Our kindy (Golden Grove Kindergarten) helps support Chifundi primary school in Zimbabwe, along with an organisation for orphan children in Harare called 'The Sharon shelter of hope'.
We send over school supplies, food, clothing and all sorts of bits and pieces. Parents are encouraged to donate their recycling to the kindy (we get 10c a bottle here in Sth Australia) and we use this money to send over the packages. My dh's 'job' is too collect the recycling for the kindy and take it to the depot. It's Callum's job to hand in the money. 8-)

From Callum's (and previously Isla's kindy website)

"Golden Grove Kindergarten assists and supports Chifundi Primary School in Zimbabwe, Africa. As part of the 'Diversity' SACSA curriculum area, our 'African Project' helps the children to understand and appreciate connections, similarities and differences between people. They will be provided with the opportunity to begin to appreciate and think about other cultures as they broaden their understanding of the richness of their world. It also provides the children with the chance to share their own culture with others, and to make a positive difference in the lives of other children.

We regularly send parcels of second-hand story/school books and other stationery items to Chifundi Primary School in Zimbabwe, and are happy to receive donations of these at any time. The children, with your help, assist us to raise the money to post these parcels"

http://www.goldengrkgn.sa.edu.au/

In our recent kindy newsletter was the following blurb;

"Paulyn and Daniel, who manage the Sharon shelter of hope, for orphan children in Harare, have asked for some second-hand gloves for the children. The Zimbabwean winter is very cold, and the children have to walk long distances to school, usually without coats of any kind. A pair of gloves would help them to have warm fingers when they arrive so they can write! If you have any that your children have grown out of, we would love to send them. Thank you."

So this got me thinking... Would any of you lovely ladies want to knit some mittens/hats out of your scrap yarn for the children of Zimbabwe?
I have looked on Ravelry and there are loads of free mitten patterns (i figured mittens would be easier than gloves?) and beanie patterns as well.

I would say the age of the children would be from 0-10years.

I just thought it would be awesome for us as a group to send them a whole heap of warm snuggly woollies!
Just as a suggestion, but maybe the tnn'ers in the bigger centres could group theirs together to keep postage costs down?

Any donations of woollens (new or 2nd hand) would be most appreciated.
They can be sent directly to the kindy at;

Golden Grove Kindergarten
Cnr Bicentennial & Botany Drives
Golden Grove SA 5125
Australia

or sent to me to pass on (pm me for my addy)

I've just taken in a big MASSIVE bag of wool (donated by TNN member Tash (Snoopy). It was very much appreciated! Thanks Tash!

Thanks for reading!
Liz - mum to my 3 gorgeous redheads

snoopy
TNN nerd

Post by snoopy » Thu May 21, 2009 4:17 pm

no worries and I am in for knitting a few pairs of mittens.
Tash
Mum to Nathan 15-5-5
7lb 5oz and
Catherine 25-01-08
7lb 3oz

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Would polar fleece mittens be worthwhile to make since my knitting isnt great?

West_Mum
TNN nerd

Post by West_Mum » Thu May 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Certainly Jenny! Anything is appreciated.
Liz - mum to my 3 gorgeous redheads

tahlula
TNN nerd

Post by tahlula » Thu May 21, 2009 11:02 pm

I am heading to Australia on the 2nd june if anyone wanted to send stuff to me I would be happy to take it with me and pay Australian postage to you, just a thought if anyone was interested.
Tanya

Mr J 7.11.06 :angel: @ 23 days
Mr C 8.11.07
Mr K 10.11.11
Mr A 22.01.14

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”