nappy donation for orphanage in Uganda

tiffani
TNN newbie

nappy donation for orphanage in Uganda

Post by tiffani » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi there,
I'm a first time poster, as my two kids are 8 and 10 now and well out of cloth nappies! We are, however, adopting two little ones and will be traveling to Uganda in the coming months to bring them home from their orphanage. The aunties at the orphanage currently use rags for nappies on the babies, and with the giardia and parasites that abound there, they need a more hygenic system. My goal is to show up with a suitcase full of cloth nappies for them, and I'm currently soliciting donations from New Zealand nappy makers, or anyone who wants to donate new OR USED (but unstained) nappies. any type of nappy system is fine, as long as it's better than an old dishcloth! :)

thanks so much for considering this request, it would mean a lot to them to have better nappies.

all the best,
tiffani

Kieransmum
TNN guru

Re: nappy donation for orphanage in Uganda

Post by Kieransmum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi Tiffani,

It sounds like a great thing you are doing. My question is regarding having a more hygienic means of cleaning the nappies ... what are you planning there? What facilities do they have (I remember a hospital in (former) Zaire that I went to that only had running water and electricity for only a few hours a day.

Sue

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi Tiffani

Perhaps you might get a better response if you post an intro about yourself?
It's not very polite for your first post to be asking for donations :).
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Happy@home
TNN nerd

Post by Happy@home » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi Tiffany :wave:

I know Tiffany, she's in our local HS group.

I'll try & remember to bring some naps along on Wed, T

see you then
Rebecca, HE mum to ds 17, ds16, dd 14, dd 12, dd 11, ds 9, ds 7, ds 6, dd 4, ds 2yo and due April mid '15

ditto
TNN guru

Post by ditto » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:02 pm

navarri wrote:Hi Tiffani

Perhaps you might get a better response if you post an intro about yourself?
But they aren't for herself, and that isn't a very friendly welcome, is it?

Happy to donate some nappy covers given that R knows you :)
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

nzwildchik69
TNN nerd

Post by nzwildchik69 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 pm

i have some here to donate i will fix them first they were given to me from some lovely people on here so would be good to pass them on to someone who needs them
Zita mum to :king: Haylen 11/11 :king: Denzel 03/08 and :queen: Kiara 05/05

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:29 pm

navarri wrote:Perhaps you might get a better response if you post an intro about yourself?
Umm, that was an intro, wasn't it?

Hi Tiffani,
How exciting for your new babies! I had questions similar to Kieransmum about the washing side of things. I'm suspecting that as basic & unelasticated as possible would be best, right? I am sure I have some stuff here.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Razz
TNN guru

Post by Razz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:32 pm

one thing to remember in alot of those places that they need the life ironed out of any clothing to kill any fly eggs that could hatch and burrow (and you don't want them burrowing into any tushies) When my socks went to the 'laundry' (ie the river) they'd come back stretched and would fit a size 20 shoe :lol: VERY vigourous ironing. not sure how PUL would stand up to that.

oh and hi and so exciting!!!!
Rachel, Mama to Nate, Zach and Kaiabean

check out my patterns http://www.ravelry.com/designers/rachel-evans

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Forgive me, but I receive an email a month asking for the same thing :wink: .
Most either want free nappies or heavily discounted ones.

Things are a bit different given a longstanding member knows you and you are a real person.

If I offended anyone by my bluntness I apologise :).

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 pm

And soo exciting about adopting babies :)

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Wow, very exciting. How are you managing to adopt from Uganda? I thought we were limited to adopting from China and Thailand in NZ?

I wonder if worn-out nappies from the TNN hire kids could be donated to a project like this?
Mum of 6

tiffani
TNN newbie

Post by tiffani » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 pm

wow you guys are fast! Hi Rebecca! :wave:

my apologies for not introducing myself a little better, I absolutely agree it was rude and insensitive of me! :)

My name is Tiffani, and my husband Mark is currently employed at Weta digital, so we're here on a contract basis. We've been in Wellington for over a year now, and like Rebecca mentioned, we're a homelearning family -- current kids are Lucy and Dexter, 10 and 8. cloth nappies are so much more exciting now than when they were little! :wink: Our kids in Uganda are Rose, 8 months, and Marvin, around 3. We are allowed to adopt them because I am American, and we're going through the US system. We might not be allowed to bring them to NZ, however, which will cut our stay here a little shorter than we had hoped. Our families are in California and Alberta, Canada, so we knew we couldn't stay in NZ forever, but we're facing a possible rushed, forced move if NZ immigration won't let us bring the kids into NZ. We shall see...

the point you make about the flies that lay eggs in laundry is a good one... I think they're called mango flies in Uganda? I've asked a few mamas who have brought kids home from the same orphanage what the laundering situation is there, and that will definitely influence what I can give them. what fabrics CAN NOT be ironed at all? I know that with some fabrics the water resistance will not be as good if they're ironed, but they'll still contain poos better than a tied on rag... but I do wonder if there are fabrics that will actually melt or something like that if ironed...

thanks so much for the help and advice!
tiffani

tiffani
TNN newbie

Post by tiffani » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:53 pm

and Louise, the woman I recently spoke to at CYF (NZ org handling adoptions) said that there are about 8 countries that NZ'ers can adopt from currently. Uganda isn't one of them, which is causing us some trouble. honestly, though, I'm glad I got the wrong information from NZ immig. when we first started our journey towards these kids, because if I had known in the beginning that we couldn't bring them into NZ, we probably wouldn't have pursued adoption from Uganda at all, and needless to say, I'm really glad we did! We're still hoping to be able to bring them home here, but we're working out other game plans just in case we can't. it's a little crazy-making to say the least!

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:18 pm

That's crazy, surely children with no parents or relatives to care for them don't care which country they end up in, they just wanna be loved :D .
They should be making it easier to adopt, not harder!

Kieransmum
TNN guru

Post by Kieransmum » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 pm

I did a search on TNN because I remember a thread once about an orphanage that did use MCN's ... viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54438&p=746111&hil ... ge#p746111 I wonder if they would be a good contact for you Tiffani, so that you can find out about the hygiene issues etc and then get back to us about what would be suitable? :D

ETA: Bother, looks like the orphanage is having website problemos ... http://www.amanibabycottage.org/

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”