nappy donation for orphanage in Uganda

Louise
TNN oracle

Re: nappy donation for orphanage in Uganda

Post by Louise » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:51 pm

I remember this too, pity the links don't seem to be working.

Tiffani, I wondered if you were American. So your husband is Canadian? Do you know what the adoption laws in Canada are like? We would love to adopt but it just seems so difficult from NZ. I am a Canadian Citizen (my Dad is Canadian) and wonder if adopting from/through Canada somehow would be an easier option? Although I imagine the expense of moving there to facilitate it all would be quite prohibitive. I haven't really looked into it much, just a quick read through some websites on Canadian domestic and international adoptions. Seems like Canadians are able to adopt American babies easily.

Anyway (sorry about that thread-jack), welcome and please do keep us updated with how your adoption goes and also with the specific needs for nappies for the orphanage.
Mum of 6

Katriana
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Katriana » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Aww what a great thing. Can you bring me back a baby too please :)

I too wondered about the hygiene. Perhaps traditional flats would be better?

tiffani
TNN newbie

Post by tiffani » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:30 am

I'm quite familiar with amani baby cottage, wish the links were working, I'd love to see those photos! I'll see if their main website has photos... they're a very well-respected orphanage in Uganda, and are among the two or three with fairly good funding. I don't know if they have a washing machine, probably do all laundry by hand, like most everyone else in Uganda.

from the asking around that I've done, it seems that PUL can be ironed, just only on the fabric side -- not ideal, but not going to destroy the nappy. A couple of different diaper companies have offered to send us nappies, which is just awesome! Honey Child, Baby Luv and YoYo nappy have all offered to donate. :D

If anyone is in the Wellington Region and has nappies they want to donate, either flats or fitteds, AIO's, pockets, whatever, you can send me a private message (I think?) and I'll come pick them up from you.

I'm not going to worry too much about trying to guess what type would be best for them, I think anything is better than dishcloths, so will just bring them whatever I manage to round up.

thanks so much for the support!

tiffani
TNN newbie

Post by tiffani » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 am

Oh, and about Canadians adopting, we started our adoption journey in Canada, so know that system inside and out! Canadians can't adopt while living outside of Canada, so you would have to move back to Canada to go through the Canadian system. Every country takes a different amount of time, and I wouldn't say that any country is "easy" by any stretch of the imagination. Canadians adopting from the US does happen, but I think there was a slow-down or even a halt to that, you'd have to check it out. might have been temporary... That would be a private adoption, though, where you would have to be chosen by an expectant mother, and that can take years, and be very expensive. Adopting through the Canadian foster care system, though, is a good option, as is international adoption.

you can pm me if you want more info! :thumb:

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”