Te Awhina Nappy Scheme WHAT TO DO? (stock on OP)

Laura
TNN guru

Te Awhina Nappy Scheme WHAT TO DO? (stock on OP)

Post by Laura » Fri May 28, 2010 8:27 am

So there is a HUGE amount of nappies that i think should be used cause at the moment they arnt being used.
what do people on TNN think we should be doing with them?
how can we get them used?
Ive been talking to pregnancy help and they are very keen to be involved some how.
i would love your imput

OK here is what we have

NB - 32 fitted 10 covers 34 pockets
S - 12 fitted 7 covers 27 pockets
m - 24 fitted 25 covers 25 pockets
L - 8 fitted 2 covers 8 pockets (+ 8 that need leg elastic)
4 AIO
10 flats
9 soakers

and LOADS of inserts to stuff the pockets
Last edited by Laura on Sat May 29, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

Louise
TNN oracle

Re: Te Awhina Nappy Scheme WHAT TO DO?

Post by Louise » Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 am

Getting in touch with Pregnancy Help is a great idea. What about letting Plunket nurses in Chch know about this - or is it more of a Nationwide thing?

You should definitely do a big display/ad at our RNW event - whatever that may be.

I know in the past you had to be referred by an active member of TNN in order to use these nappies - but getting pregnancy help involved sort of screws that up so we may need to re-think that one.
Perhaps here in Chch we could promote this scheme through Pregnancy Help/Plunket etc and continue on with referrals through TNN for anyone else out of Chch - since it would be so much more difficult to keep tabs on the kits once out of Chch. And the person who referred the kit could sort of be 'responsible' for collecting up the kit if we are having trouble getting it back.

Am happy to help you do a bit of a sort-out if you need it Laura.
Mum of 6

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Fri May 28, 2010 9:33 am

thanks heaps Louise -i would love a bit of help with it.
im going to do a stock take over the weekend so i can work out what we have.
what do we think the definition of a 'KIT' is?
how many nappies?
im thinking i will bag them up in kits - in the different sizes and go from there

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Fri May 28, 2010 9:58 am

I've PM'd you Laura :D
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

caturn
TNN guru

Post by caturn » Fri May 28, 2010 11:55 am

I guess it depends if you want to run it as a loan scheme where you get the nappies back in which case you need to know the person and how to contact them, or run it as a donation scheme where the nappies are given with no requirement to return them, then they could be given out by places like pregnancy help etc without needing the persons details.
Cath

[url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/29/4525/294525.png[/img][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Calorie Counter[/url]

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Fri May 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Ive been chatting to a friend this morning about this and we were thinking of having pack of 6 to be given to people who deserve them - maybe people who have already started cloth but need a few more to make life easier.
people in the community who dont get hand outs from everyone else cause then we felt they would be more used and thankfully donated.
im going to sort them into packs of sizes and styles with 6 nappies in each pack. then if people require more it can be case by case.
i dont like the idea of giving them to people just because they have got them self into a bad situation and are looking for another hand out but to give them to parents who really want to make a good choice for their family and environment so there fore wouldnt take it for a ride but would use the nappies.
thanks for your PM shae i completly agree
let get some good vibes going and get deserving people into cloth. (maybe even new members of TNN - there could be some kind of welcome pack?)

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Fri May 28, 2010 1:13 pm

I reckon it would be a good idea to hire/lend out the kits and then find out what nappies those people found worked best for their kids and gift a pack of the nappies from that kit to them (eg 5 fitteds plus a cover or 4 pockets with inserts).
That way they have tried out MCN and found out what works best for them - AND we know they will use the nappies.

I'd be afraid that if we were just giving nappies away people may not end up using them, or may find they prefer a different style. At least if they try them in a kit they will have a good idea of what they like/what works.

This way you'd be getting the kits out there to be used, plus gifting sets of nappies to people who truly need them. OR they could be offered nappies at a really cheap price (perhaps some of the older ones as below - as that way you would know they aren't going to go and sell them on TM immediately afterwards if we give them the nice ones). Perhaps we could have a reward scheme - if they are still using cloth 3 months after borrowing a kit (so 6 months in total) we could then gift them some nappies.

If you are keen to get rid of any nappies I would be more inclined to keep the nice ones for the kits and sell off the oldest ones very cheaply. Or you could consider asking people on TNN who feel they are truly in need of a few extra nappies to pm you with details of what sort of nappies (style, size, girl/boy etc) they currently use and what they are in need of to bulk out their stash. They could then be gifted some nappies (just pay postage) or offered the chance to buy the nappies very cheaply.

Selling off the nicest ones is sort of a good idea but lots of people will have gifted those nappies to Te Awhina and won't want them on-sold - although I imagine they'd be happy for them to be gifted to someone once they've had the hire of a kit.

Definition of a kit - I think you want a really decent range of styles of nappies (covers, prefolds, fitteds, AIOs, pockets with inserts) and within each style you'd want enough for a day's use or so. I think you'd want enough nappies in a kit so the person would only need to wash every second day.
Mum of 6

LaraB
TNN nerd

Post by LaraB » Fri May 28, 2010 1:40 pm

Perhaps contact Cloth convert of the size of their kits - I used one when Chris was 1, so a few years back, but i found they had everything i needed, a good variety, and enough to last me without washing every day.
I know they had pockets (a few diff types), fitteds and covers, prefolds, a couple of snappies....not sure of numbers though sorry.
<-----My little munchkin

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Fri May 28, 2010 1:58 pm

if it were me Id sort out kits of 18 for loan.. with extra inserts (eg 2x inserts per nappy)
(enough to try full time)

a no bond if referred from an appropriate person (forum member,etc) ...$$5 per week hireage which would be refunded when the kit is returned... and should still leave them saving $5-10 per week

hire fee could be waived/reduced in special circumstances - eg when a tnner vouches for the need and will arrange for return if help is needed

they were all gifted to te awhina to be used for charitable purposes so any selling/gifting should be in the interest of what T.A was set up for... eg: to help people who otherwise cant afford the set up coss of cloth nappies... for example randomly gifting them isnt imo meeting that aim, but selling to fund postage costs would.
Lisa

Plingie
TNN guru

Post by Plingie » Fri May 28, 2010 3:28 pm

i dont like the idea of giving them to people just because they have got them self into a bad situation and are looking for another hand out but to give them to parents who really want to make a good choice for their family and environment so there fore wouldnt take it for a ride but would use the nappies.
This is hard to establish though, eh?

I think it might have to be fairly flexible in how it's administered as so many situations are different IE someone who is unexpectedly pregnant and can harldy afford anything would benefit more from a set of nappies and really good advice on how to use them rather than a selection of many to help them choose which they like best.

I'd suggest hooking in with pregnancy help and possibly The Shirley hub and similar places, saying what resources are available and they can refer people to you.

Seems like a loan scheme would be best for the charity as a whole - and maybe just expect to loose a few along the way?

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Fri May 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Maybe you could charge 'hireage' of what disposables would cost a week and then at the end of the hire period or the need for next size up they could use the money they have 'banked' to buy some of their own. It would be dependent on the return of nappies in a good condition, but would provide an incentive to pay the hireage and return the nappies if you got a substantial return. The money would be paid to where ever the nappies were purchased from to stop the money being used on something else, or nappies could be purchased through Te Awhina - possibly at a slightly lower retail price?

I figure it gives people a helping hand to get started with cloth and they can build their own stash with their own money :D

Although a bit more difficult to administer.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Shae
TNN nerd

Post by Shae » Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 pm

We actually had an extended lay-by agreement with some WAHM's for TA kit users, which is essentially what you're suggesting Kaz. I don't know if any body used the lay-by, and I guess since the scheme was established nearly 3 years ago, that part could do with revising.

ETA - on reflection thats not what you are suggesting :oops: , but the lay-by component was an option
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

Pippy-long-stockings
TNN nerd

Post by Pippy-long-stockings » Fri May 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Kaz wrote:Maybe you could charge 'hireage' of what disposables would cost a week and then at the end of the hire period or the need for next size up they could use the money they have 'banked' to buy some of their own. It would be dependent on the return of nappies in a good condition, but would provide an incentive to pay the hireage and return the nappies if you got a substantial return. The money would be paid to where ever the nappies were purchased from to stop the money being used on something else, or nappies could be purchased through Te Awhina - possibly at a slightly lower retail price?

I figure it gives people a helping hand to get started with cloth and they can build their own stash with their own money :D

Although a bit more difficult to administer.
I think that idea is great :D
~*~*Jo*~*~ (Formerlly known as Mumto3)
Liam 25-8-04 (9)
Bailey 22-11-06 (7)
Lincoln 3-5-09 (4)
Bella 16-9-11 (2)

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Fri May 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Kaz wrote:Maybe you could charge 'hireage' of what disposables would cost a week
less than sposies so they see some savings and can get bargains on Tme
Lisa

DelilahsBottom
TNN convert

Post by DelilahsBottom » Fri May 28, 2010 5:08 pm

I have been thinking about this all day!

There are a few things that I have been mulling over..
1. Is the question of who needs them... see, before having a baby I would have said - not us... that there were more needy people out there... but now that we are on one income... its a little bit different! I compare my situation to that of my step-sister (who... umm... is a little less organised -does that sound ok- and do you know what I mean?!)... we both have babies and we are pretty much on the same weekly income now except that my man and I work and she doesn't... so... it would make me a little annoyed if she was eligible for this programme and people like us miss out (again).
Therefore, I think that this programme needs to be available for all regardless of perceived need.

2. I really like Kaz's idea.

3. I think, what needs to happen... is that this scheme gets advertised widely through... antenatal classes, midwifes, The Hub(type places), Plunket, TNN referrals etc... I think that that age old saying... you can lead a fish to water thing is pertinent here. AND if this programme was widely known about THEN it would probably only be the genuinely interested people who would initiate contact. I.E the people who take the handout only to sell it at Cash Converters wouldn't bother...especially if there was some kind of financial bond type thing.

4. Kits... I think that perhaps this could be on a case by case basis... at this stage anyway. We could offer 12 naps pf different kinds or what ever they are interested in. This is a great opportunity to make MCNs accessible. By making kits on an individual basis it also starts a dialogue happening.

So... just my thoughts!!! Gabsx
ImageImage

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”