Confession time - Mamapads for Zimbabwe

Minty
TNN oracle

Confession time - Mamapads for Zimbabwe

Post by Minty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:02 pm

I've been putting off this thread for a long time, but its time to come clean. We have failed in our mission to send the mamapads that we made a whole lifetime ago for women in Zimbabwe and they are still in my garage. :oops: When we made them, with your generous help and materials, I was working with a network set up to facilitate Christchurch women providing assistance and fellowship to women in Zimbabwe. It was expected at the time that someone would be visiting Zimbabwe, or arranging for the transport of goods, and that the mamapads would be able to go with them. Unfortunately this has not occurred, and it seems unlikely that it will any time soon. I have endeavored to find a method of getting them there safely (normal post is not very reliable), so that they could be assured of reaching suitable end recipients.

So, I have a pile of BEAUTIFUL mamapads in my garage and I really want to do something with them. The last contact I had with Shupayi, I asked her if I could sell them and donate the money, as it looked like mission impossible to have them reliably delivered to people who would use them. It would be very sad to have them intercepted en route and then the pads be discarded because their use/value was not recognized. Shypayi was very happy for me to do this, and also regretted that we hadn't managed to get them Zimbabwe earlier.

I can't apologise enough for letting this go on so long, particularly to those who gave of their time and materials to help. Unfortunately life intervened over the past couple of years, and I kept hoping that a solution would be found.

So, if you were involved in making them, or providing materials, I wanted to ask for your input for the next stage. The ideas I have are:

- Make up nice packages, photograph them and sell (either on here if enough interest or on TM). Perhaps by auction, or otherwise just for a set amount.
- Donate the money to an organisation working with women in Zimbabwe (suggestions welcome).
- Do something with all the leftover materials - perhaps also package up (stuff a bag type thing) for TNNers wanting to make their own mamapads.

Thoughts please.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Re: Confession time - Mamapads for Zimbabwe

Post by Callum's godmother » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I can't remember the project and don't have any ideas or contacts to send to Zimbabwe ... certainly money is always appreciated by any worthy cause ... so I say do whatever is within your means to get something to the country that tnn people originally pledged to ... and nicci you don't need to be feeling guilty, any of these ventures is a whole lot more work than it first seems and the events in your life over the past 2 years have been 'all consuming' so don't feel bad ... just do whatever you feel is best now and I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by recipients :D :vibes: :grouphug:

Khai
TNN oracle

Post by Khai » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Hmmmm, I wonder if Lunapads would have any ideas? http://lunapads.com/blog/2009/07/zimbabwe-success/ though this came up with my google :s http://www.hipmama.com/node/36945

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Don't feel guilt, sometimes things just don't go according to plan.

I think the simplest would be to make up packs and sell them for a set price. I can't see a bidding war happening for them in an auction, even for such a good cause.

Making up DIY packs with the remnants sounds like a good idea too. :D
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Flutterby
TNN nerd

Post by Flutterby » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I have a friend who is a missionary in Mozambique and could potentially have some use for them. She is currently here (well on holiday in Aus) so I might be able to fb her and see if she would want or could take back.

Would this be something feasible?
Lea
DS 2/05, DD 11/07 and DS 07/11

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:35 pm

I think your second link does highlight some of the difficulties Khai. Seemed like a good idea, but in reality, it's a big headache trying to ensure they are useful, otherwise money would be a much better idea.
I think the simplest would be to make up packs and sell them for a set price. I can't see a bidding war happening for them in an auction, even for such a good cause.
Teehee I think you're right Karen. I am definitely keen to buy some, so might need some help setting prices. Anybody reading, how many would you think would be good in a pack? Six? More, less? I'll start snapping some pictures soon.
I have a friend who is a missionary in Mozambique and could potentially have some use for them. She is currently here (well on holiday in Aus) so I might be able to fb her and see if she would want or could take back.

Would this be something feasible?
Thanks for the offer. By all means ask, but you may find the same problem for Mozambique. But let me know.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm

How does 5 for $20 sound?

:oops: I'm pretty hopeless at setting prices though.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Kieransmum
TNN guru

Post by Kieransmum » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Could any money raised be put into a TNN account for the can't remember of it organisation that you posted about it a week or so ago? DOH. Sleep deprived much?

SHESHE
TNN nerd

Post by SHESHE » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:04 pm

I would love to buy some if you sell...Please PM me if you decide to sell as I really need some more!
Mum of 2 - NO MORE NAPPIES - Nearly ready for our new adventure!!

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Could any money raised be put into a TNN account for the can't remember of it organisation that you posted about it a week or so ago? DOH. Sleep deprived much?
Kiva? I looked them up and they don't have any borrowers in Zimbabwe at the moment. That was my first thought too :)
How does 5 for $20 sound?
Sounds good to me, I have no idea either. Other thoughts on this welcome.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:09 pm

I'd be keen to buy some too.
Kylie

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:33 pm

We have quite a few Zimbabwean women in our church, I could ask them if they know anyone heading back to Zimbabwe. They have taken large amounts of clothing in the past.
Mum of 6

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Louise,

That sounds good :)
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

littlejo
TNN nerd

Post by littlejo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:09 pm

If you were selling, I'd buy! But it would be lovely to get them over there too...
Jo

DS - Apr 2007
DD - Nov 2009

Sherbert handcrafts:
https://www.facebook.com/sherbertnz

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 pm

I would be keen to buy some too if you decide to sell on here
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”