Confession time - Mamapads for Zimbabwe

Gaia
TNN guru

Re: Confession time - Mamapads for Zimbabwe

Post by Gaia » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Would be good if we can get them there but if you are selling I'd be keen to buy some....having a girl nearing puberty and no supply of pads here.
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

Erin.T
TNN nerd

Post by Erin.T » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:06 am

oh! I'll buy some!
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Mahatma Gandhi
"The climate is like a wild beast, and we're poking it with sticks." - Wally Broecker

Lainy
TNN guru

Post by Lainy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:13 am

Did you want them to be near retail price? are they liners, regular, heavy? I'm guessing their value is far about 5 for $20, seeing the prices of other ones on the market.
ImageImage
ImageImage

rangitotogirl
TNN oracle

Post by rangitotogirl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Lainy wrote:Did you want them to be near retail price? are they liners, regular, heavy? I'm guessing their value is far about 5 for $20, seeing the prices of other ones on the market.
Agree with this. If it's going to be a donation to a charity then I think it is realistic to charge closer to what they are worth so the donation is realistic.

http://www.carrymybaby.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/carrymybabynewzealand

http://www.scarecrowfarm.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/scarecrowfarm
http://www.mobywrap.co.nz

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:46 pm

It was sewing some of these at your place where I met Rachael, Chantelle and your Mum :smt060 for the first time 8-) . That in itself made it a great night out - no disappointed feelings from me with getting them to Zimbabwe not quite working out!

I am sorry I'm no help with ideas about what to do with them. I'm sure you'll come up with a great plan. (Actually, another thought may be to package up any left overs and gift to NZ refugees? I would love to help sew up the remaining fabric into more if you wanted to have a few more evening sessions?)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Awww thanks Leanne. I have just been out fondling the pads :vibes: and they are lovely! There is more than fifty, so if we end up selling them, there will be plenty of sets of 5.
I'm guessing their value is far about 5 for $20, seeing the prices of other ones on the market.
Do you mean far 'above' 5 for $20? I'm not up with market prices at all, so open to more suggestions. To my untrained eye, I would guess they are regular (perhaps to heavy) weight. They have a stay dry layer, some internal padding and a waterproof, breathable layer. They have one snap connecting two wings (although there might be some slightly different designs because some were gifted already made, and they are beautiful - hand-dyed!).

I think I will wait one week to see if any of the other ideas come to fruition (or longer if people contact me to let me know that they need a little longer), otherwise I'll start putting them into sets and photographing them. :D
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

mumtotwo
TNN oracle

Post by mumtotwo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:05 pm

normally this sort of thing wouldn't be at professional retail value , I would expect to pay a bit less than in an online shop for instance , I would think 4 or 5 for $20 would be a good price imo , they go from $7 other places
Mum to my two gorgeous and sometimes headache inducing children
Mara 21/02/96
Ashley 27/03/06

Image Image

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:15 pm

mumtotwo wrote:normally this sort of thing wouldn't be at professional retail value , I would expect to pay a bit less than in an online shop for instance , I would think 4 or 5 for $20 would be a good price imo , they go from $7 other places
Where are they sold for $7? I don't think I've seen them for less than $8, and I doubt those ones were any better made than what Nicci has. Given the number of WAHM on TNN who sell Mamapads, no doubt including people who were involved in making these ones to benefit women in Zimbabwe, I would be wary of a huge volume of these being dumped on the market and significantly undercutting the mums who making a living from making and selling mamacloth. The point of those generous TNNers donating their time and materials wasn't so that other TNNers could score a bargain, it was to benefit women in Zimbabwe. I think if getting them to Zimbabwe doesn't eventuate and they get sold, then if there's sufficient demand they should be sold at retail price or similar (unless any of them are "seconds" in which case the market price would naturally be a seconds price).
Kylie

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:39 pm

I would be wary of a huge volume of these being dumped on the market and significantly undercutting the mums who making a living from making and selling mamacloth.
I'm not sure what constitutes a huge volume, but if they are in sets of 5, I estimate there will be around 10 - 12 sets available. I don't want to steal business from TNN WAHMs, and I am happy to sell them via TradeMe if people are more comfortable with that option (if it comes to that, and we can't get them there any other way).
it was to benefit women in Zimbabwe. I think if getting them to Zimbabwe doesn't eventuate and they get sold,
Obviously getting them to Zimbabwe is still my first preference (its a lot less work for me for a start), but I am also very keen to ensure that they (or the money for them) get to people who need them, and are not lost in transportation, and that something happens soon, because I don't want to hold onto them any longer. It feels wrong to me to have all the love and effort sitting unused in a box. I have made many attempts to get them to someone who could arrange personal delivery, but thus far, it has not worked out and I don't have any personal contacts in Zimbabwe any more (except people who live there full time and don't travel to NZ).

Part of the problem with the original plan for getting them to Zimbabwe, is that Christchurch people have had a lot of their plates personally this past couple of years, and unfortunately that means their resources are more locally focused than usual. Of course that doesn't take away from the desperate need in Zimbabwe and other places.

I want to set a fair price, but I have no idea how they compare to WAHM products, because I have never owned any (nor seen any for years, and then only fleetingly). I'm sorry if WAHM mamapad makers are feeling wary, it was never my intention to sell them via TNN, this has come about due to desperation.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

mumtotwo
TNN oracle

Post by mumtotwo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Petals wrote:
mumtotwo wrote:normally this sort of thing wouldn't be at professional retail value , I would expect to pay a bit less than in an online shop for instance , I would think 4 or 5 for $20 would be a good price imo , they go from $7 other places
Where are they sold for $7? I don't think I've seen them for less than $8, and I doubt those ones were any better made than what Nicci has. Given the number of WAHM on TNN who sell Mamapads, no doubt including people who were involved in making these ones to benefit women in Zimbabwe, I would be wary of a huge volume of these being dumped on the market and significantly undercutting the mums who making a living from making and selling mamacloth. The point of those generous TNNers donating their time and materials wasn't so that other TNNers could score a bargain, it was to benefit women in Zimbabwe. I think if getting them to Zimbabwe doesn't eventuate and they get sold, then if there's sufficient demand they should be sold at retail price or similar (unless any of them are "seconds" in which case the market price would naturally be a seconds price).
I looked at Yoyo pads (TM) which are professionally made and Ecomoon to check prices , plus Designerbums . Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have bought a lot of things that were raising money for charities and normally they are slightly under retail . No one is trying to persuade Nicci to underprice them so they can 'score a bargain' .....well , that's not how I operate so naturally I don't assume that of others ( in fact I probably wouldn't be buying them as I get mine custom made to suit )
Mum to my two gorgeous and sometimes headache inducing children
Mara 21/02/96
Ashley 27/03/06

Image Image

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Having had a look at those three companies, I agree that 5 for $20 is too cheap, and would definitely undercut local mama-pad makers.

So maybe 3 for $24 or 4 for $30 would be a better price?
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Lainy
TNN guru

Post by Lainy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Sorry, tired typing fingers. I definitely meant far above. Ecomoon are $8.50 for regular, more for heavy.
I hadn't even thought about the undercutting thing simply because it hadn't occurred to me, but apart from that I totally agree with Petals, i was more thinking that they should be sold for the best price so that the most money can be made for the women, and to reflect the hard work that has gone in. I didn't realise things like this normally sold for less than retail, I actually was wondering if the situation was the opposite, that people would pay equal or even just buy for the pure reason of what it's for, IYKWIM?
I think your second lot of pricing is much closer to the mark of what I was thinking, Minty, but of course it's not really any of my business :hide:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:27 pm

I think your second lot of pricing is much closer to the mark of what I was thinking, Minty, but of course it's not really any of my business
Thanks Lainy - don't apologize, I'm asking for help, and you're helping. :vibes:
I actually was wondering if the situation was the opposite, that people would pay equal or even just buy for the pure reason of what it's for, IYKWIM?
That was certainly my experience when I ran my last charity auction, many things went for more than retail value (and others I'm not sure about retail value because they were priceless :vibes: ).
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Sorry I wasn't meaning to sound critical of previous posts, or especially of you Nicci, it was my roundabout way of saying this:
Lainy wrote:i was more thinking that they should be sold for the best price so that the most money can be made for the women, and to reflect the hard work that has gone in.
Thanks for being more succinct Lainy! I'm sure there will be 12-ish TNNers happy to pay those prices that Nicci stated (I would).
Kylie

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks for being more succinct Lainy! I'm sure there will be 12-ish TNNers happy to pay those prices that Nicci stated (I would).
Thanks Kylie, that's what I need to hear. Best possible price, but most/all will sell. Sweet. :vibes:

I had a really good idea come to me too. :idea: If I have to sell them, I will sell them lucky dip, so it's a lovely 'fluffy surprise' when they arrive.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”