Confession time - Mamapads for Zimbabwe

Minty
TNN oracle

Re: Confession time - Mamapads for Zimbabwe

Post by Minty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Sounds perfect Louise, I'll be in touch :) Thanks so much.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:58 pm

how did it turn out nicci?

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm just waiting to hear from Louise - I dropped them at her place last week, and hopefully they were handed over on the weekend (or will be soon), and then we'll know whether they can be fitted into luggage or not. :vibes:
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Yup they have all been given to Elizabeth and she leaves for Zimbabwe on Sunday. Will give her a call tomorrow to see how the packing is going and whether they will all fit.
Mum of 6

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks Louise. :vibes:
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 am

Ladies I am bumping up this thread because it turned out that my friend Elizabeth did not take the pads to Zimbabwe with her, she left them with a niece who passed them back to me some time later.
I knew of another lady from church going to Cambodia and talked to her about taking them with her which she agreed to do (after asking contacts in Cambodia whether there was a need) and on Sunday she gave the bag of pads back to me - didn't explain why she didn't take them!!!!

Very frustrating and I am very embarrassed that I have let you all down through these two friends of mine who let me down!!!

So, what shall we do with them now? Shall we sell them off on TNN and donate the money we raise? Please let me know what you think....Nicci?
Mum of 6

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 am

Looking back over this thread it looked at though the consensus was to sell them in packs of 4 pads (mystery pack) for $30 plus postage. Are people still happy with this price?

I am have $4 NZ post bags here which I am happy to use - if anyone has any better options let me know. Pick up is fine if you are in Chch (I am in Casebrook near Willowbank).

Do we have any photos of them on TNN already?
Mum of 6

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:47 am

Don't feel bad you've done all you can :D

I think the idea of mystery packs was to save someone having to take photos. Selling and donating seems like the best option, not much point having them sitting around if we can't get them to women in need :D

I have some $2.70 Fastway bags that should fit a set of 4 pads in if cheaper postage makes a difference.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:51 am

Kaz wrote:Don't feel bad you've done all you can :D

I think the idea of mystery packs was to save someone having to take photos. Selling and donating seems like the best option, not much point having them sitting around if we can't get them to women in need :D

I have some $2.70 Fastway bags that should fit a set of 4 pads in if cheaper postage makes a difference.
Thanks Karen. Yes, would definitely save time not worrying about taking photos.
Happy to use your Fastway bags (or pass the bag of pads to you for you to post out?) if the cheaper postage works better for people. I could probably fit two packs (ie 8 pads) into the $4 NZ Post bags so people could double up and save on postage that way if they live close to each other too - or if they wanted to buy two packs.
Mum of 6

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:04 am

Thinking that not many people involved in the initial project are around much these days.

Should we just decide on a charity to donate the money to, sell mystery packs of 4 for $30 on here then try trademe if they aren't all sold.

Don't see anyone having the time to photograph them all and listing them. I guess you could have a choice of fabric topper as there are a few fabrics I wouldn't like to use ( :oops: I would have a real problem using minky, not sure why, just can't bring myself to use it :lol: )

How many do you think we have?
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

There are 57 pads so I can make up a total of 14 packs (of 4 pads) and there is 1 pad left over. So we could do something like - once all 14 packs are purchased (but not posted) I will draw the names out of a hat and someone will get an extra pad free. What do you think?

Most of the fabrics are cotton flannel or a loop type as far as I can tell. A couple topped with microfleece and some other non-absorbent fabric which I am not sure about - likely synthetic. No minky.
Each pack would include a range of colours, fabrics and thickness of pad (there isn't really too much variation).
Last edited by Louise on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mum of 6

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 am

We could donate to Women's Refuge - I think they have an appeal on at the moment.
Mum of 6

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am

I'd be happy with Women's Refuge but also feel that the intend was to help women in developing countries, so not sure if we should be looking more toward that - I have no idea which agency would best for that purpose.

Probably easier to gift the pad to the first person to buy otherwise posting is held up and that always causes problems :roll:

Annah
TNN nutter

Post by Annah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:25 am

perhaps you could make a kiva account, and use the money to lend to women to help them make a better life for themselves? That way the money can be used over and over.

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 am

Annah wrote:perhaps you could make a kiva account, and use the money to lend to women to help them make a better life for themselves? That way the money can be used over and over.
That sounds cool. What do others think?

Ok Kaz - what about if you buy your pack on the first day ie today then you go in the draw to get an extra pad. Kind of makes it fun I think and an incentive for people to buy asap.

Shall we list these on the trading post?
Mum of 6

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”