Wee Weka S/M Pocket nappy

blossom
TNN guru

Wee Weka S/M Pocket nappy

Post by blossom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:30 pm

So far this is the only nappy I've attempted to make. It's so easy and I love it! Zoe wore hers last night for the first time and pretty much had it on from 6pm to 6am, no leaks or nothing!
I had thought maybe it would be too big and maybe I'd need to do the leg lastin a bit tighter, but I just added some extra snaps to snap down and make the rise smaller, and it ended up fitting really well! I now have about 10 nappy cuts all cut out ready to snap and sew! :lol:

Will add pic/pics as soon as I have clean/dry/made nappies! :D

ETA. Zoe weighs approx 7.6kg at 5 months and this fits her snapped down on the smallest setting so I'm guessing this size would fit for quite a while? Not sure what size it's 'meant' to fit up to?
I've compared it to a nappy from the same pattern (?) made by Angel/Aimee and the rise on mine seems to be quite a bit bigger. Not quite sure why? :?
Janine
Mum to L (30/10/02) & Z (01/01/06)
-----------------------------------------

aylasmummy

Post by aylasmummy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:50 pm

i "attempted" one of these a while back but the rise was really long,like stupidly long!! then after yesterdays sewing disaster i remembered why i dont sew very often and think im resigned tothe fact that i SUCK!! :roll:

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:31 pm

Pattern and instructions available from here http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/images/Wee%20Weka%20SML%20Fitted%20SM%20Pocket.pdf

The fitted nappy still fits Emily at 12.5 kg/23 months old. It also fits James at 3 weeks/less than 5 kg.

As a pocket nappy (made out of stretchy PUL and microfleece) it still fits Emily (on the loosest settings). It is not yet fitting James snugly around the leg and I'm not sure that adding snaps to adjust the rise would make it snug enough.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

charlotte
TNN nerd

Post by charlotte » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:50 pm

I have made several of these for my DS. I did however look at some brought pockets that I knew fitted him and modified the pattern slightly to suit his shape/build.

I find these excellent to use and dry. Being my first real sewing attempt since primary school I found the instructions fairly easy to follow.
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://b4.lilypie.com/EL03p12/.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://b2.lilypie.com/0BIbp13/.png[/img][/url]

Maranein
TNN newbie

Post by Maranein » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:15 am

Im going to try making this nappy (the fitted version of the pattern) later today I think. I have some really nice soft Bamboo Fleece - do you think this will be good for it? And what is the best cover for this nappy?

Chantz
TNN convert

Post by Chantz » Sun May 27, 2007 9:05 pm

I have made 4 of shars newborn naps but Im gonna make the wee weka s-m ones as they seem to last longer. Im just not sure they will fit my newborn wen he/she arrives but I have flats as well. Theres a small pattern piece that is meant to be sellotaped in between the 2 nappy pattern pieces, does anyone knpw why its there & why it couldnt be added onto the main pattern piece? What happens if I dont use it will the nappy still come out ok but a few inches shorter? I really am a novice.

jailee
TNN nerd

Post by jailee » Sun May 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Yep it'll be fine, I've made a few without adding that 'bit' onto the pattern. They're just a bit shorter in the rise, so probably won't fit for quite as long. Great size for my 5mth dd though :D
~ Jo ~
DD#1 Dec 04
DD#2 Jan 07
DS 2 Sept 09

Chantz
TNN convert

Post by Chantz » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:56 pm

I now have 6 s-m wee weka pockets ready to be snapped together on sat by claire from wigglebums (she has a snap service & local in my area) I have another 6 that have been pre- cut & need to be sewn together. I really hope they last a few good months, Im not too keen on making more of shars newborn naps as they look too small & may not last too long, i have devised my own m-l pattern drafted from the wee weka m-l (its a wee bit smaller) can someone tell me what a rise is?

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:59 pm

Chantz wrote: can someone tell me what a rise is?

The length of the nappy - from top of the tummy to the top of the back (going between the legs).
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

janel
TNN newbie

Wee Weka SM

Post by janel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:09 am

I just made 2 of these as fitted dipes (or I guess I should say nappies huh?) They turned out very cute and the design is great... the fold out soaker will make drying time really fast. HOWEVER, I think the S/M size is very misleading... my daughter is 20 lbs (9 kg) and 30 in tall (72 cm) and she is WAY too big for this dipe/nappy even though she normally fits mediums. I don't mind because we'll be having another baby within a year or two so it won't go to waste, but I'd call this a definite S, or maybe XS if you're adding a decent soaker. I used the same pattern and added 4 inches to the length and 2 inches to the width and it's perfect.

I'd recommend printing the pattern and comparing it to a dipe/nappy that you know fits well to determine if you need to cut a bigger pattern before you start cutting your fabric! My second one was sized with a disposable. I'd also recommend NOT sewing over your finger. :?

Well done, love the pattern and will be using it again!
--Janel

rootoo
TNN guru

Post by rootoo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Just wanted to add that I love this pattern. Its the only one I've tried so far, but it fits perfectly, even stuffed lots for night
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

Return to “Pattern Reviews”