Wee Weka m/l side snap pocket

Larraine
TNN nerd

Wee Weka m/l side snap pocket

Post by Larraine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:26 am

I just made my first side-snap pocket the other night.

I had to add more to the rise (Seth is 17 months and about 12 kg).

But, the biggest prob i had was it was far too narrow in the crotch (more than a swaddlebees pocket :shock: ), so i cant even stuff it with a prefold.

Now my Bob the Builder nappy has ended up on Seths teddy bear :cry:

Are there any patterns out there for the big baby/toddler?
Larraine

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:37 am

I can send you my side snap pattern; PM me your address.

I have 2 versions, one is slightly narrower in the crotch and used for daytime (easily fits a prefold or folded flat) or a wider one that I use for night - similar crotch width to a large Fuzzi.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

Tinkerbell
TNN guru

Post by Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:13 am

Hi Judy is there any chance I can get a copy of your pattern please?
Pipi
Sahm

blossom
TNN guru

Post by blossom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:24 am

Oh Larraine! Bummer, what a waste of Bob the Builder! Did you allow extra fabric in the crotch for the fact that the print PUL doesn't stretch the same way that plain PUL does? Can you fit anything inside as an insert? Like a FB insert? Or a swaddlebee one?
Janine
Mum to L (30/10/02) & Z (01/01/06)
-----------------------------------------

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:30 am

Pipi wrote:Hi Judy is there any chance I can get a copy of your pattern please?

Sure Pipi; PM me your address and whether you want the standard or larger width crotch size.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

Tinkerbell
TNN guru

Post by Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:31 am

Coolies will do now :wink:
Pipi
Sahm

Larraine
TNN nerd

Post by Larraine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:18 am

jnsfnz wrote:I can send you my side snap pattern; PM me your address.

I have 2 versions, one is slightly narrower in the crotch and used for daytime (easily fits a prefold or folded flat) or a wider one that I use for night - similar crotch width to a large Fuzzi.

That would be great thanks. Will pm you my address :)
Larraine

Larraine
TNN nerd

Post by Larraine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:21 am

blossom wrote:Oh Larraine! Bummer, what a waste of Bob the Builder! Did you allow extra fabric in the crotch for the fact that the print PUL doesn't stretch the same way that plain PUL does?

No i didn't Janine :cry: I didn't realise i had to do that with printed PUL until i read that today :roll:

Hopefully i'll get hold of some more Bob fabric and try again. It looked great to with orange fleece and blue snaps :cry:
Larraine

blossom
TNN guru

Post by blossom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 am

oh wow, so is it completely wasted? Could you still stuff a smaller insert in and maybe use it on a smaller baby? (like Zoe :wink: I know she's a girl but she wouldn't be adverse to Bob :wink: )
But really, such a shame huh! I hope you can find some more! If I'd managed to score some I would give you mine, but the one piece I got was for someone else so I don't have it now anyway
Janine
Mum to L (30/10/02) & Z (01/01/06)
-----------------------------------------

Larraine
TNN nerd

Post by Larraine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:42 am

blossom wrote:oh wow, so is it completely wasted? Could you still stuff a smaller insert in and maybe use it on a smaller baby? (like Zoe :wink: I know she's a girl but she wouldn't be adverse to Bob :wink: )

:lol: I really don't think it is useable. I had trouble stuffing it with just one hemp insert :shock: It wouldn't hold anything in. I did think about sending it to my brother for his new bubba girl. Bob would ROCK on a little lady :lol:
Larraine

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:45 am

Larraine; got your PM thanks. I haven't taken a picture of the wider night naps, but can tonight (I think there's a clean one on the drying rack :) ). The narrower crotch one is the one in my avatar pic.

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 am

I did the same thing a while back, I think it is the pattern, it is SO narrow through the crotch. Not so bad if you use it with FOE but if you do stitch and turn IMO it is way too narrow. It needs at least an extra inch on each side of the pattern.

I have the same trouble with the sm/m foe with gussets nappy, I can barely fit a regular sized prefold in there, just needs a couple more cm's across the crotch and would be much better.

I could barely fit my hand inside the pocket to stuff it (the large one) but I did find I was able to fit inside a hemp flat folded in 4 - so it was mighty trim! Could not fit any other kind of insert.

What a shame about Bob!
Mum of 6

Larraine
TNN nerd

Post by Larraine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:54 am

Louise Morrison wrote:I did the same thing a while back, I think it is the pattern, it is SO narrow through the crotch. Not so bad if you use it with FOE but if you do stitch and turn IMO it is way too narrow. It needs at least an extra inch on each side of the pattern.

I have the same trouble with the sm/m foe with gussets nappy, I can barely fit a regular sized prefold in there, just needs a couple more cm's across the crotch and would be much better.

I could barely fit my hand inside the pocket to stuff it (the large one) but I did find I was able to fit inside a hemp flat folded in 4 - so it was mighty trim! Could not fit any other kind of insert.

What a shame about Bob!

Yup, that's exactly what has happened with this one.

I've just posted the pic over in the Homemade gallery
Larraine

legz
TNN guru

Post by legz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:50 pm

why don't you keep it as training pants? You don't need to stuff much into them anyway!
Lesley

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:52 pm

Louise Morrison wrote:I did the same thing a while back, I think it is the pattern, it is SO narrow through the crotch. Not so bad if you use it with FOE but if you do stitch and turn IMO it is way too narrow. It needs at least an extra inch on each side of the pattern.

At risk of sounding defensive, I wonder what seam allowance you ladies are using - I have no problems fitting this M/L pocket on 2 year old 13 kg Emily stuffed with even a premium (4x8x4) or toddler (4x6x4) prefold. Likewise, I stuff J's pockets with gussets with all sorts including thick terry towelling nappies. I think that the resulting sizing will depend on:
* stretch of waterproof layer (e.g. poly knit PUL v cotton PUL or other less stretchy fabric)
* stretch of staydry layer (e.g. microfleece with stretch width wise rather than length wise, or suedecloth with even less stretch)
* seam allowance used

It should be stated on that pattern that it included a seam allowance of about 0.5 cm (I allow for an overlocking width which I guess to be about 0.5 cm). Were you using more?

:smt102
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Return to “Pattern Reviews”