real nappy week 08??

mygirls
TNN nerd

Post by mygirls » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:38 am

RNW is International RNW now with things going on in Canada, Mexico, China, Ireland, most of Europe and Australia. Maybe Oz Real Nappy Downunder is another week RNW in oz as well?

I'm happy to go with either date, October would give us more time to organise things but I doubt the weather here would be any better in October than April.
Ella (Aug 03), Lottie (May 06) and ......

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://bd.lilypie.com/nmqOp12/.png[/img][/url]

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:16 am

[quote="LemonNZ"]
Do you realise Australia are moving it to October to me nicer weather for outdoor stalls and not to clash with holidays like Easter????
quote]

Any reason we couldn't do something for both? Personally I'm in favour of focusing on working with WEN as a larger more internationally known "brand" (for lack of a better term)
Lisa

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 am

I think you'll find that a lot of the retailers are promoting the April one so it would be kind of weird for TNN to be celebrating it in a different month???
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:42 am

mygirls wrote:RNW is International RNW now with things going on in Canada, Mexico, China, Ireland, most of Europe and Australia. Maybe Oz Real Nappy Downunder is another week RNW in oz as well?

I'm happy to go with either date, October would give us more time to organise things but I doubt the weather here would be any better in October than April.

Oh OK...I was inder the impression that at the 11th hour 2 years ago that WEN asked us NOT to use their name RNW and RNW logo and told us to do our own thing in Oz and NZ therefore I thought it odd if Oz has changed to October that we didn't. Also I can't find anywhere stating any March/April events for Oz this year they all seem to be quoting October as advertised in the ANN calendar.

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:47 am

beccahv wrote:I think you'll find that a lot of the retailers are promoting the April one so it would be kind of weird for TNN to be celebrating it in a different month???

In a different month to whom? I can't find any events advertised here in NZ or Australia for April. Please post the links.

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Oh Michelle, was it you who left me a message this morning? I thought I heard the name "Nicole" and i was wondering who it was????
You've also lost me re that we followed Oz's date last year - I thought we followed WEN's dates.

LemonNZ wrote:Oh OK...I was inder the impression that at the 11th hour 2 years ago that WEN asked us NOT to use their name RNW and RNW logo and told us to do our own thing in Oz and NZ therefore I thought it odd if Oz has changed to October that we didn't.

This is also news to me - I don't remembered anything like that in all my correspondence with WEN (someone named Dina Amuli, from memory but will check the masses of emails I'm still hoarding in the mailboxes) in the past had. As you know I'm not involved with ozclothnappies so you and Stacey and others on ozcloth have info I don't know anything about :wink:

I like the idea of RNW in October as it gives us more time to organise (but we would still have to keep the momentum going otherwise we'd be in the same boat as now) and then it also becomes an Australasia thing, but I agree if NZ retailers are promoting it in April, then let's do it in April - basically to say I have no preference really on either dates, but can see benefits either way.

the nappy lady
TNN addict

Rwn

Post by the nappy lady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi everyone,

After discussing it with other retailers who are like me, all set to go for April, we will be promoting real nappy week along side the dates set by RNA in the UK. As far as we are concerned, Real Nappy week is an international event and it pays for us to follow it. I and many others have booked advertising and I am set to do seminars around the country along with other promotions.

Maybe it would pay to converse with the retailers whom it affects before you decide to make it to suit yourselves.

Regards
Kate Meads
The Nappy Lady
www.TheNappyLady.co.nz

www.NappyDays.co.nz

mygirls
TNN nerd

Post by mygirls » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Just visited the WEN site and these are the contact details for Australian RNW (for last year), but I can't find any info on the site for this year yet....

Australia

Real Nappy Displays in cites across Australia with information and advice on using cloth nappies. For more information visit www.modernclothnappies.org

Nappy information stall, 123-4 Kids Daycare Centre, North Ipswich, Queensland, 11-24 March, all day.

Contact: Deborah Taylor, 0423002441, info@cheekybutts.com.au

I like the idea of an International RNW so we're not lonely loonies preaching about cloth :lol: that there are in fact millions of families around the world also using cloth, a sense of solidarity sort of thing :lol: . I don't think the retailers need worry, if RNW goes well we can always do a mini Australasia Cloth Nappy expo in October as well. But lets through this one first :wink:
Ella (Aug 03), Lottie (May 06) and ......

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://bd.lilypie.com/nmqOp12/.png[/img][/url]

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:45 pm

ClothConvert wrote:Oh Michelle, was it you who left me a message this morning? I thought I heard the name "Nicole" and i was wondering who it was????
You've also lost me re that we followed Oz's date last year - I thought we followed WEN's dates.

LemonNZ wrote:Oh OK...I was inder the impression that at the 11th hour 2 years ago that WEN asked us NOT to use their name RNW and RNW logo and told us to do our own thing in Oz and NZ therefore I thought it odd if Oz has changed to October that we didn't.

This is also news to me - I don't remembered anything like that in all my correspondence with WEN (someone named Dina Amuli, from memory but will check the masses of emails I'm still hoarding in the mailboxes) in the past had. As you know I'm not involved with ozclothnappies so you and Stacey and others on ozcloth have info I don't know anything about :wink:

I like the idea of RNW in October as it gives us more time to organise (but we would still have to keep the momentum going otherwise we'd be in the same boat as now) and then it also becomes an Australasia thing, but I agree if NZ retailers are promoting it in April, then let's do it in April - basically to say I have no preference really on either dates, but can see benefits either way.

Yes it was me that rung and I just got confirmation that Australia is not doing anything in April...the Diaper Hunt is in March and they will be doing their RNW in October. I know in 2006 we were advertised as a combined Australia/NZ event on the Australian website and while we followed the dates set by WEN that we had all the support re. posters etc. from Shane in Australia.

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:44 pm

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet - I think we need to update the NZ Nappy Network site with the dates for 2008. It still has March 2007.
Abbe
I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ~Author Unknown

alicia
TNN convert

rnw 2008

Post by alicia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:55 am

hi abbe, yeah, it's still march....i was a bit worried till i went back and reread the year!

down here in dunner's we'd be wanting to do the april thing as our city council is launching a $20 subsidy on trial nappy packs soon and were going to promote that with us in RNW...if we had to wait until october then i think that they'd have to do theirs earlier and ours later and we probably wouldn't get the local publicity for either!
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://bf.lilypie.com/1YBcp13/.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev010pb___.png[/img][/url]

bubbagirl
TNN nerd

Post by bubbagirl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:23 pm

mygirls wrote:Ok I've got some t-shirt quotes (mates rates too :wink: )

Adult t-shirt , 2 colours - $4 (for about 100)
More colours = more cost
More t-shirts = less cost

I was admiring one of his new prints today that changes colour outside, pale cream sparkles inside to blue, pink or whatever outside - really cute, I thought that if we did children's t-shirts we could use this new ink - not much more in cost especially if we use it only on the kids t-shirts.

I thought we could charge $10 (is this too much?) a t-shirt for adults and kids ones, with profits going to TNN and also covering the cost of freebie t-shirt for competitions, give-aways etc run around the country. (Say 10 t-shirts going to each event runner around the country to give-away).

If we organise it now, t-shirts printed in Jan, sell on TNN (& TM?) in Feb, close and posted by March so everyone has the t-shirts for RNW in April.

Should I set up a thread to check interest? Price? etc, a mini survey so to speak. What does everyone think? Should I continue with this?

These sound cool - are they going ahead? I like the idea of the colour-change prints 8-) Do you have any more info about them? Price, size options, slogan/logo etc?

Westerbaby
TNN newbie

Post by Westerbaby » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi everyone

I thought I would pop in here from the Australian Nappy Network and explain!

In 2006, we in Oz decided to have a RNW. We had a lot of trouble communicating with WEN to get permission to use their and our own logo on promo materials, etc, and even the name. We then made up our own 'real nappy week down under' due to issues over using WENs RNW logo & promo materials (being very new to formal advocacy in OZ, we needed some materials, and didn't have much of our own, hence saught permission to use some of WENs and had lots of trouble getting permission in time - graneted we totally appreciated how flat out the UK were with co-ordinating their RNW at the time!) and were asked not to do so.

While we wanted to continue to work alongside WEN, and still do, a vote from volunteers in the nappy advocate groups over here suggested that the term 'real nappy week' was slightly antagonistic to some. That coupled with a clash with various holidays and high profile events in Australia in March & April each year (Easter, Grand Prix, Anzac Day to name a few) AND the GDUNH (nappy hunt) held around March/April keeping WAHMS soooo busy, led us to think that maybe April wasn't the best time of year to be hosting events. The ANN tossed around a few ideas and another vote saw that it was decided a consistent approach would help us all in terms of planning ahead (rather than waiting til 1 month or so before the week as we were with international RNW dates) so we have selected the 2nd week in October as our annual Reusable Nappy Week in Australia.

We aren't trying to splinter off from the international event or reusable nappy/diaper movement, it was just felt that October takes advantage of upcoming better weather in the southern hemisphere (it's easier to sell reusable nappies when the warmth outside suggests they will dry!), and as someone on here has suggested, activities can still be held in April if we can get our act together (which we haven't really this year because we have been finalising our incorporation), but our focus for the 'celebratory' week will be October. By all means, we will fully support international RNW. Taking on our own name has given us the freedom to promote it without needing permission to put the name on all our ANN materials. We typically still cite WEN and the Real Nappy Campaign as the founders of the Real Nappy Week event, but there are reasons for us choosing to do things differently. In the same vein, we will more than happily collaborate on any other joint activities on an Australiasian or International basis! :)

I hope that all helps, feel free to shoot questions at me if you have any!

speaking of questions, I noticed a media piece from NZ today
http://www.tv3.co.nz/NewZealandNappyAll ... fault.aspx
quoting the New Zealand Nappy Alliance. A quick google search tells me very little about the NZNA (which is also a NZ acronym for a narcotics group?) - was curious who the group is?
Last edited by Westerbaby on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ [b]Lucy[/b] ~
Australian Nappy Network (tm) Ltd

Kimber
TNN nerd

Post by Kimber » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:44 pm

Golly - I haven't heard of it. You'd think we would have around here, considering the lady interviewed is a TNN member (I just now checked out the article - thanks for posting the link).
[img]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8039/batg2.gif[/img] Kimber
[img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/475786.png[/img] [img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/538947.png[/img]

Ethan's Mum
TNN nerd

Post by Ethan's Mum » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:15 pm

interesting. I wonder what their "plan of attack" is.

I wonder if Kate will pop on here one day and fill us in :D

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2008”