Hamilton - Waikato

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Hamilton - Waikato

Post by 0ebuny » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:52 pm

so..... who wants to join in and/or help out?

anyone got any ideas?
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

Mazz

Post by Mazz » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:53 pm

I'm tentatively putting up my hand, but I'm due the first week of May and tend to go early, so will probably only be able to commit to periphery stuff. Sorry, that's not much use! Will have a think on some ideas and get my brain ticking over. Will PM you.

:)

mummyjems
TNN nerd

Post by mummyjems » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Sorry, posted this on other thread too but does anything ahppen in Te Awamutu or is it mainly Hamilton? Cheers!
Jems
Happily married to Tim since 2002, Mum to Caleb (June '04), Caitlin (December '06)

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:31 pm

mummyjems wrote:Sorry, posted this on other thread too but does anything ahppen in Te Awamutu or is it mainly Hamilton? Cheers!

If you arrange something for TA then yes, if not then No :wink:

Fi
TNN nerd

Post by Fi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:06 am

I'm happy to help out where I can. I'll be a full time student at Waikato this year, so it makes day times a little tricky - unless its a day I can wag ;)

I have plenty of donations for a stall, and I also have lots of woollies.

Last year in Geelong we had a knit-a-long at the wool museum in town which was apparently quite a hit!

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:49 pm

No ideas here, but I'm willing to help where I can.
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 am

so any ideas yet???

should we all get together and brainstorm?
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:05 pm

OK seen as no one has their thinking caps on ill give my ideas (I was on strike giving ideas untill after the new year I was busy enough as it was :P )

Number one: A Sausage sizzle fundraiser outside somewhere like the redshed in town to fund raise for a huge raffle nappy kit/s and have the free raffle entry at the same time, Bonus being its on the corner of a main rd so even people passing by car will see the TNN logo

Of course this would depend on TNN fundraising rules and THe redsheds rules on who fundraises outside their door (after all they sell sposies) I do beileve the mad butcher gives discounts to some chartities so this would need looking in to too

Number 2: Then look in to renting a hall somewhere (using fund raised$$) and having a gathering there so people can come and mingle and have a nosey (and then it doesnt matter if it rains :twisted: ) and also have the free raffle at the door there as well so more people get a chance to enter.
Theres a hall on Ohaupo rd that gets lots of traffic past it, assuming they hire it out they might let us put signage out there for a few weeks to get the word out.

Oh and Im not bothering this year if we dont get the word out so we need to invest time in putting flyers out and asking permission everywhere we go and taking the time to go out and do it, I think I was the only one who asked stores to put the flyers up last year. I wont have the same time to give this year due to working now.

I think also finding out if we can put signs up in the buses, Baby Changing rooms, WPH ( :wink: Ill do that one :wink: ), Birthing centers and Midwife offices, Plunket and I had one more cant remember now but you get the drift.
SO that will also mean we need high quailty posters, (that actually say what we are doing this time!) I think TNN can fund this but some one needs to find out, proper posters would be nice and professional so finding a printer place that will donate towards this (inlieu of their ad at the bottom) would be even better

Thats me for now.

the nappy lady
TNN addict

Post by the nappy lady » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been booked by the Hamilton Environment centre to come and run a 2 hour nappy workshop on the last sunday 27th of April as part of RNW. We will be working with them to promote it and when I have more details available to you I will pop them up on here.

Have fun

Kate
Last edited by the nappy lady on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nappy Lady
www.TheNappyLady.co.nz

www.NappyDays.co.nz

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:38 am

I didn't know we had an Enviromental Centre :oops: where is it?
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

the nappy lady
TNN addict

Post by the nappy lady » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:43 am

down town in Hamilton. not sure of the address
The Nappy Lady
www.TheNappyLady.co.nz

www.NappyDays.co.nz

Kimber
TNN nerd

Post by Kimber » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:19 am

Is it the same as Environment Waikato? If so last I knew it was in Ham East, Grey St?
[img]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8039/batg2.gif[/img] Kimber
[img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/475786.png[/img] [img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/538947.png[/img]

Mazz

Post by Mazz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 am

Right, I've had a chance to sit down and think this through a bit more. Tell me to butt out if you want, as I'm not actually going to be much use on the day!

Having just read through the thread from RNW '07 to poach ideas that maybe weren't used that time around, maybe we need to have a debrief from those that were involved as to what worked and what didn't, so that we can replicate the things that were good last year and avoid those that were not so good. Try not to make the same mistakes and build on what was done last year, instead of re-inventing the wheel?

Stuff from the '07 thread:
    Print out nappy shapes and have a nappy colouring competition for kids, when they are coloured they could be cut out and stuck together in a nappy shape and displayed on a noticed board. If the competition was on the day (eg sit down and colour in a nappy) then the parents might read some stuff about nappies while their kids are colouring.

Hand out patterns and info

Library nappicinos with giveaways – make nappies or donations from nappy companies/WAHMs

Talk at teen parent unit at Fraser High

Nappy making tutorial

Doll or teddy to dress in a nappy

I've also had a think about where to put up the posters and flyers, here's a start to the list, add to it as you like:

Change rooms:
Westfield chartwell
Centreplace
Downtown Plaza
Library
Hospital
Lollipops
Plunket
Zoo?

Other:
Library notice board
University notice boards around campus
Wintec notice boards
City council notice board?
Parent’s Centre
Plunket
Gallagher’s Aquatic centre
Te Rapa Pools
Supermarket noticeboards
Hamilton Zoo
Waterford and River Ridge
Midwife offices

Shop windows:
Lake café
Hamilton Gardens café
Any child-friendly cafes you frequent
Baby Factory
Ed-ex toys
Jumpin’ Jacks toys
Pumpkin Patch
JK
T&T
Cutie (in Alexandra st)
Baby City

There is also a guy you can pay to put up posters on hoardings around town, but I don't know that we could do this (how would we pay him??)

It would be good to get a community notice written up (happy to do this if you want, once details of what will be happening are finalised) and sent out to all the free community noticeboards. This would need to be done at least two weeks before the event(s) so things will need to be finalised (times, location etc. at least) by then. The notices are really effective, I have a list for the local web, radio and print community notices and am happy to take care of this one if you supply me with the info.
It would make sense to try and tie in with whatever Kate is doing at the environment centre.

Kimber
TNN nerd

Post by Kimber » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 am

Mazz wrote:
I've also had a think about where to put up the posters and flyers, here's a start to the list, add to it as you like:

Change rooms:
Westfield chartwell
Centreplace
Downtown Plaza
Library
Hospital
Lollipops
Plunket
Zoo?

Other:
Library notice board
Wintec notice boards
Parent’s Centre
Plunket
Te Rapa Pools
Supermarket noticeboards
Hamilton Zoo
Midwife offices

Shop windows:
Lake café
Hamilton Gardens café
Baby Factory
Ed-ex toys
Jumpin’ Jacks toys
Pumpkin Patch
JK
T&T
Cutie (in Alexandra st)
Baby City

First thing I thought when I read this was you might get turned away from some places because of sponsorship by the sposie companies - eg the whole plunket thing - and have you ever noticed the in your face advertising of huggies in the mall baby change rooms? It's still a great idea of course, but might be something to be prepared for?
[img]http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8039/batg2.gif[/img] Kimber
[img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/475786.png[/img] [img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/538947.png[/img]

Mazz

Post by Mazz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:21 am

Kimber wrote:
Mazz wrote:

Change rooms:
Westfield chartwell
Centreplace
Downtown Plaza
Library
Hospital
Lollipops
Plunket
Zoo?

Other:
Library notice board
Wintec notice boards
Parent’s Centre
Plunket
Te Rapa Pools
Supermarket noticeboards
Hamilton Zoo
Midwife offices

Shop windows:
Lake café
Hamilton Gardens café
Baby Factory
Ed-ex toys
Jumpin’ Jacks toys
Pumpkin Patch
JK
T&T
Cutie (in Alexandra st)
Baby City

First thing I thought when I read this was you might get turned away from some places because of sponsorship by the sposie companies - eg the whole plunket thing - and have you ever noticed the in your face advertising of huggies in the mall baby change rooms? It's still a great idea of course, but might be something to be prepared for?

Oh yeah, definitely! Some are a stretch but I figure it never hurts to ask, you might get a response you didn't expect. :) :wink: Never assume anything, I say.
And this isn't a 'must do' list, more a starting point to see what we can cover. I thought many of us will be in or near or involved with most of these places over the coming months so if we each volunteer for the places we want to approach we could probably cover a wide area and avoid double ups. Just keeps it a bit more organised.

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2008”