Running a Nappy Sewing Class

EmsGran
TNN addict

What a wonderful bunch of Mums you all are!

Post by EmsGran » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 am

How about another suggestion - possibly too late for this training session, but this is what I would do:
Run for 2 hrs only - have 2 sessions - this allows them to go away, finish their nappy and come back to tweak the results or finish if stuck somewhere. Takes the pressure off that one class and allows them to have a go, in their own time, without distraction. Also if they are successful on their own, they are likely to keep it up. (I would assume that the average interested seamstress is a little savy with a machine)
Run another session for those that aren't - preferably within the same program, on their own though, ie week 1 - getting to know a sewing machine, fill the bobbin, thread the machine, variety of stitches, general use and also how to care for...
Be kind to yourself and to other attendees, Breastfeeding mothers only to bring babies. And I mean those that will need a feed in that 2 hr gap and travel time of course. Encourage them to find a sitter, use daycare, rope in gran, aunty or friend (take turns, one does it this time then the other next time - if this is the only option for a lot of them, then run two class -after each other - I mean finish 2 x 2 session, Have a aweek off then run another lot, anyone still struggling welcome back also). The best thing to remember is it will give them a break from the kids and they will focus and nobody will feel cheated. If the bulk of your Mums are breastfeeding, then get in at least 2 highschool or uni students and hire a separate room for day care, baby sleeping, nappy changing etc.
Allow (for yourself) 2 & 1/2 hrs for the class - Gives you time to set up and also wind down, there will always be one or two that hang around to ask questions at the end. (Arrive 15mins Early, and leave 15mins late - but be firm about packing up time, no matter where you are up to, that is why you are having 2 x 2hrs sessions or a 1x2hr and then 1x1hr with maybe the 'learn about your machine' can be before or after the second session).
But - Tell your class, that you will be there 15mins before hand, nominate anyone who is keen to be there at that time and not too much to worry about, to provide flasks of hot water and the makings of a cuppa for those who have travelled (lets the mum who likes to be organised to target an early arrival and time to settle herself and bubs) and also let them know if they would like to run through cutting out - assuming you have already cut out - then you can run through the basics at the very start, so they will need to be there on time! Allocate 15mins to this and then start in with the lesson promptly after that. The Cuppa provider is to be in charge of welcoming late arrivals, settling them in, offer that cuppa and try quietly to not interrupt the rest of the class. If you are going to do this in 2hrs, you will need to stay focused - no going back on what you have just said. Any late arrivals will have to rely on other attendees or yourself later to catch up. Allow time for sewing, it really should be the bulk of your lesson, with you wandering around encouraging and prompting. Suggest they can bring their own machine, but also make it clear that part of the lesson is sewing at home too. If it is too hard for a mum to lug machine and baby and all the rest, she may stress too much and then you will have fun making sense to her. Have your own and another machine there, these ones can at least have a go at the 'intricate' parts of sewing.
I would settle for white only PUL, maybe a selection of linings that they pick and choose from. Or if you do a selection of PUL- so they get to see the yummy choices - First in - first served.
Keep it as simple as you can. This is not the time to be a people pleaser and overload yourself with meeting too many demands. No matter what they get, it will be their 1st home sewn nappy, it will be special no matter what colour and next time they can be picky and selective. Also sometimes they don't know what they want, and it becomes over load for them.
Fitteds are not too different from pockets when it comes to the basics, so invite those ones along, but they will not get to make one till next week, if they require your help. Get in the necessary fabrics, cut out and if they can get the gist of it from the Pocket session - let them go for it.
If you do not need to allocate time to 1st time sewers, you could have 1st hour of second class allocated to fitteds. This means they all get to know the lot, or can pick and choose the times they are there.
Be strong on (NO) coffee breaks, don't tie yourself up with a gossip session, if many have travelled long distances, either buddy them up with locals or find a good coffee bar (beforehand), they can progress to for 'after' discussion sessions.
If you become too exhausted and have too much on your plate, you will loose your focus and this will disappoint many of them. Too long a sessions will be tiring, and eventually they will stop taking it in, it will also allow for too much casual talk and again loss of focus. Although we all want to be friendly, they are there to learn to sew a nappy. If they want a friendship circle, that is what a nappicino is for!
O and if you are precutting stick to Mediums, for everyone (a small baby will grow into it) unless of course they are all NBs :D
And I would also suggest that you do not have this at home - or at least not at your own.
Gail - Mum to 5 - Gran to 10 :)http://www.babycuddles.co.nz
babycuddles@vodafone.co.nz

macca
TNN guru

Post by macca » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Is it tomorrow? - good luck.
Melissa
Mum to Jack - born November 06 and Charlie - born May 09.
My blog http://maccafamily.blogspot.com

figi9
TNN nerd

Post by figi9 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:10 pm

Yip it's tomorrow.
2 rather nervous people here.
Megans a very nervous instructor worrying about everything she needs to teach us, and all the bits and pieces, patterns, materials etc.
and i am sitting here worrying about extension cords, child carers, food for the kids etc :roll:

Really i should just go to sleep!

We'll post a pic, or the newspaper article about it!
Hirekits avaliable. 3 x NB/SM and a Med/Lrg. Especially on the West Coast or South Island fimale99@hotmail.com

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10751;448/st/20050610/n/Miko+ArtStar/dt/18/k/918e/age.png[/img]

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wSi8zMa/weight.png[/img]

EmsGran
TNN addict

Post by EmsGran » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Hey you will do fine.
Just stay focused and take lots of deep breaths.
Get a good nights sleep - calm and empty your mind and sleep....
Have Fun, Remember to have fun...
:)
Gail - Mum to 5 - Gran to 10 :)http://www.babycuddles.co.nz
babycuddles@vodafone.co.nz

Megan
TNN guru

Post by Megan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Just trying to get everything together now. So much to remember! And we live an hour away so there's no just-nipping-home to get the things I forgot! Oh, the pressure! :lol:
Luckily sewing nappies is pretty simple so teaching shouldn't be too hard.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Megan
TNN guru

Post by Megan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:58 pm

I have lost the vlecro. Where would the velcro be hiding?

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Have a great time Megan!
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Erica-Jane
TNN nerd

Post by Erica-Jane » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:14 pm

It was great!
Megan and Fi, you ROCK :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041

figi9
TNN nerd

Post by figi9 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Yah Megan, you did great. :smt023 I Loved the professional bags of goodies for our own wee kits, much better than i was thinking. But i'm rough, as you have gathered by my sewing today. :wink:

Unfortunately 4 mums couldn't come due to sick kids, but that was the only disappointment. Everything ran really smoothly, thanks to Megans fabulous organisational skills and all her hard work cutting out patterns and PUL cuts etc. \:D/ I'm uploading photos now, but photobucket has changed and i'm having some grief. They'll be here soon.

I can't wait for the next one.
:smt040
Hirekits avaliable. 3 x NB/SM and a Med/Lrg. Especially on the West Coast or South Island fimale99@hotmail.com

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10751;448/st/20050610/n/Miko+ArtStar/dt/18/k/918e/age.png[/img]

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Yaaaay!

Look forward to seeing photos!
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

figi9
TNN nerd

Post by figi9 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 pm

I'd just like to say a HUGE thank you to MEL from Babycuddles.co.nz
for donating the inserts for our pocket nappies today.

Thank you so much. They are soo soft. It was very generous of you. =D>

figi9
TNN nerd

Post by figi9 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Okay here are some photos: (sorry about the big one. It refuses to go the same size as the others.) Megan do you want to add to the title that there are pics on pg 3?

I think this is most of us, only one person brest feeding and not sewing at this time:

A close up of some sewers:

Using the snap press: (we had 2 :D )

Our wonderful teacher helping someone:

and without the dads what would we have done? Here's 2 of them (we had 4):

Oh and the final product: Yay for my first ever nappy. Thanks Megan :D (good thing all the sewing is on the inside and you can't see it. Love that!)
Last edited by figi9 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:29 pm

:smt041

Nappy looks great!

Megan, when you have a chance, can you do a wee review of what you did, what worked really well, what could be improved on, etc.

And yay for the Dads!
Leanne

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Wow it looks great!! I want one in chch!!!(I have made some nappies but I want to see some of the pro's do it and see their tricks! :wink: )..like making the back casing look nice and neat! :oops: (that's why I usually do front opening nappies! :lol: )

Well done Megan! :D
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Dunners wrote::smt041

Nappy looks great!

Megan, when you have a chance, can you do a wee review of what you did, what worked really well, what could be improved on, etc.

And yay for the Dads!

I think you should do one in chch Leanne!! :wink: It would be so much fun to organise (I'd help if you like...but not with the teaching cos I'm not very good! :lol: )
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2008”