Huggies have issued a press release for RNW

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Post by nikkitheknitter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:25 pm

Tris wrote:GRRR! :x Much as I hate this Multi-national *%!&er, you've got to admit, they've got a pretty good spin doctor.

I think I've had an encounter with the head of marketing for Kimberley Clarke (head for Canterbury anyway) and he was an ASS.

So unimpressed with the release.

"Happy nappy" - wtf?!
Mama to the Red Headed Devil Child and newbie arriving late Jan 2015.

Kirstin
TNN guru

Post by Kirstin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 pm

annalisef wrote:
Kirstin wrote:How does the baby let you know which nappy makes it happier (special cooing or something?) :roll: :lol:

Look at 'em squirm. "Disposable nappies represent less than 2% of waste to landfill but it is undeniable that they punch above their weight in terms of the amount of attention they get." Um, yeah, but in households with babies, it can be 50% of total rubbish, and that's pretty significant.

It might be 2% of total waste, but its closer to 4-5% of domestic waste. (I know this because I used to be a landfill monitoring officer and I've seen the waste survey figures :wink: )

:smt045 This is what I was meaning to say:

http://www.zerowaste.co.nz/default,72.sm

In a household with one baby, "disposables" will make up 50% of total household waste. Just one single item, "disposables", make up 6% of total waste in Wellington
Kirstin: Mum to DS - 13.5y, DD - 11y, DD - 7y

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:57 pm

:huh:

Sounds like a slightly :panic: response if you ask me. What I'd give to see sales figures for the last few years!

I really don't get that washing thing either. I mean, c'mon. Most kids would be in bed around 7 right? Most parents would go to bed around 10 pm, right? That's 3 hours of non-kid-time-where-I-can-do-those-activities-that-might-get-in-the-way-of-time-with-the-kids :roll: Honestly, how many people are really thinking that? What a crock of bullocks! Doing the washing does not interrupt time with my kids - it's another activity that we do together. :roll:
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

sassydot

Post by sassydot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Pffft, I know I spent more time doing late-night sposie runs when my daughter was an infant than I ever did washing nappies!

oh, not to mention the part time work AWAY from my daughter, so we had the money to spend $200 a month on disposables (until we wisened up!)

EmsGran
TNN addict

Post by EmsGran » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:33 pm

I suppose if you tell someone often enough that they really have to use disposables, you know, health, time, convenience then why would they elect to clean off a nappy, put it in a washing machine, on the line etc etc, (it's robbing the child of your preciouse time, so you can sit and chat to your mates while he/she sits in front of the telly. ) I hope you hear what I am saying here, sometimes we believe something to be the truth when in actual fact we are not putting all our spare time to it's intended use. All these time saving devises, are not necessarily as time saving as we imagine. (In this case the disposible - how much precious well earned money is spent on it - I can not tell you how many Dad's I have seen walking the isles on the way home from work, picking up another packet - that got him home alot earlier! It has to be placed in a rubbish bag - sort of equates to placing in nappy bucket, and then the householder may not spend more time on it, except to take out 2 bags each week instead of 1/2 a bag, but that poor lad collecting them sure would be taking longer and so on & so on....) We all wash clothes, it is a fact of life. I liken it to: well why not go the whole hog and get disposable clothes? and I suppose while we are at it, disposable dishes, you could go on and on and yet you know that that is silly. Why then are so many young families convinced that full time disposables is an option? (I'll leave room here for the odd special time - not that I can really see it) We just have to keep up with the education. Not only do their babies deserve cloth, but they do too.
For every negative there is a positive. There has been incredible break through in the last year with all those Wasted programmes & etc- the pressure is on, and the likes of (Treasures) oops mean Huggies, is really going to kick and scream as they sink down in sales and usage - why would they have tried to pick up on RNW if they did not see the impact already.
See this as another positive for Cloth Nappies and keep up the good work!
:D :TNN1: 8-)
Last edited by EmsGran on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gail - Mum to 5 - Gran to 10 :)http://www.babycuddles.co.nz
babycuddles@vodafone.co.nz

EmsGran
TNN addict

Post by EmsGran » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Dunners wrote::huh:

Sounds like a slightly :panic: response if you ask me. What I'd give to see sales figures for the last few years!

I really don't get that washing thing either. I mean, c'mon. Most kids would be in bed around 7 right? Most parents would go to bed around 10 pm, right? That's 3 hours of non-kid-time-where-I-can-do-those-activities-that-might-get-in-the-way-of-time-with-the-kids :roll: Honestly, how many people are really thinking that? What a crock of bullocks! Doing the washing does not interrupt time with my kids - it's another activity that we do together. :roll:

Here here! Yah Leanne, I was going to say (add) something similar, but thought I had better reduce my big splurge - they are panicing and it's wonderful to see :wink:
Gail - Mum to 5 - Gran to 10 :)http://www.babycuddles.co.nz
babycuddles@vodafone.co.nz

Toni&Caitlin
TNN newbie

Post by Toni&Caitlin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:36 pm

The fact that Huggies felt the need to put out a press release for RNW speaks volumes to me and I look at it as free advertising that just might (fingers and toes crossed) back fire on them.

I agree that not that many people know there is an affordable and easy to use alternative to sposies - but they've just spent a lot of money telling thousands that there is!

THANKS HUGGIES! :lol:
Toni
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://b3.lilypie.com/vxjWp12/.png[/img][/url]
Agent for Honey Child Pocket Nappies

sb
TNN nerd

Post by sb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Yay for Mummy power!! as consumers we have made a large multinational company sit up and notice us, to the point where they think they need to put out a press release directly rebutting our work!

And they're looking at their environmental practices too. However spurious they might be.

:TNN1: :TNN1: Go Mummy power!

edited to move the dancing babies
Shyrel - Mum to James November 06

Paws
TNN guru

Post by Paws » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Toni&Caitlin wrote:The fact that Huggies felt the need to put out a press release for RNW speaks volumes to me and I look at it as free advertising that just might (fingers and toes crossed) back fire on them.

I agree that not that many people know there is an affordable and easy to use alternative to sposies - but they've just spent a lot of money telling thousands that there is!

THANKS HUGGIES! :lol:

Hehehehe I agree....nice advertising the alternative! *snigger*

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2008”