Dunedin

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Dunedin

Post by AbbeHG » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:13 am

Ideas for 2007!
The sooner we can decide on an event/s the better.
Abbe
I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ~Author Unknown

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:31 am

Idea 1
Kick off Real Nappy Week - Farmers Market
Saturday morning 11th March

We should* be allowed to stand near that area and hand out information to anyone who approaches us. We would need a small sign indicating what we are representing.

This event task would involve:
2 people (standing) handing out info
Roster of 6 people minimum.
8.30am till noon. (3. 5 hours)
- Banner
- Information to hand out.

* I've noticed the Green Party have had Petitions available to sign at the Station area in the past.
We can check with DCC.
Last edited by AbbeHG on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abbe

helen
TNN nerd

yah

Post by helen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:03 am

that sounds good where do you think would go to investigate that-ill look into it.
could do on railway side if was wet

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:30 pm

Helen, I'm sure exactly who within DCC. If in doubt I always go to the main info desk in the Civic centre (they are usually very helpful).
Don't give too much info first though. Just ask there are any restrictions regarding a non-profit community group standing in a public area with community info pamphlets to give anyone who approaches us. Then ask what "about the Railway station, Octagon"?
Abbe

helennz
TNN nerd

Post by helennz » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:58 am

I want to help out. I never really knew that cloth nappies were so cool. I didn't use them form birth as I found flats with pins too hard. I think that there are too many bad myths about CD out there and I want to help people to realise how cute, easy and inexpensive they really are.
Helen: Ask me about the Dunedin snap press, demo kit, newborn hire kit, handknit soakers and longies
Mum to Sam, Mollie and Meghan
I blog here: [url]http://purplefish.g.org.nz[/url]

helen
TNN nerd

i

Post by helen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:42 pm

have yet to go into the dcc to ask. havent been able to do much or go far with kis sick with chicken pox all holidays and hubby crook. yah hubby at work and kids getting better so when im in town next week will go ask-if no one does before me

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:21 pm

We ONLY have 7 weeks left until Real Nappy Week '07. So this coming week would be a good time to start making a final decision about what event we want to hold in Dunedin.
The sooner we decide, the more time we have to get promo information out to Dunedin people; as opposed to taking the next 4 weeks to decide on an event and then only 3 weeks to promote it.

- Name your idea
- hands up for those Dunedin TNN members who are able to help out with an event for Dunedin RNW '07.

For those of you who are new members.
For 2005 - we had a public nappy meetup at the Dunedin Public Library.
For 2006 - we had a prominent display at the Green Party Office (which lasted for a couple months!)
We had a nappy meeting at the Parents Centre
We had ODT newspaper article
I had an interview on local Radio
Soon after we had TV coverage.

For 2007 ....welll!!!
Abbe

helen
TNN nerd

im in

Post by helen » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:29 am

im in for helping out-but no interviews for me this yr
another for the ODT and radio coverage. maybe could get hold of channel 9 for the community board once decide what we are doing. think has to be 3 weeks before avents. and also the local news-nearer time ill tell brother and get all details form him-contact names etc. (he still works there from memory 1 day week)
display in green party window

mabe this coming week-at meeting maybe could decide on shops to approach about putting a sign/display up in regards to real nappy week.
i have to go get a new blue recycle bin this week so will ask about the market etc where to stand to hand brochures etc.

and of course maybe a nappicino some time during that time

helennz
TNN nerd

Post by helennz » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:59 am

I can help out, hand things out and stuff.
Helen: Ask me about the Dunedin snap press, demo kit, newborn hire kit, handknit soakers and longies
Mum to Sam, Mollie and Meghan
I blog here: [url]http://purplefish.g.org.nz[/url]

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:52 am

OK, I was thinking we could focus on the SEWING aspect of cloth naps. The EVENT would be free Sewing Workshop/s over two or three days during RNW.

I'm going to pop into the Green party Office tommorrow and ask if they are happy to host a window display again. In keeping with our theme, we could have rolls of colourful fabric, reels of threads. Nappies and covers set out in various stages of completion. A 'shopping list' showing how little it costs to sew your own nappies.
Abbe

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:02 am

I like that idea Abbe, focussing on Sewing cloth nappies. I can easily help with that, and probably some other stuff too (though may have to juggle times with DH's days off so I dont have both kids).
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:36 am

Amiee, I have spoken to Helen on the phone and she is keen on the theme of 'Sewing' too, so that makes 3 of us. With our small group that's is just about a unanimous decision lol!!!
So UNLESS anyone has a completely different idea then I think we should go with the DYI-SEWING idea for Real Nappy Week. And make as much progress as quickly as possible.

There will be plenty of work ahead for anyone who would like to help promote the Dunedin RNW, even if you are not a sewer! See below for just some of the jobs that require volunteers.

Alicia:
we'll need all of the finalised Info on the Dunedin Nappy Network site. (I'll message you about that).

Venue ?
(NEV Community Room seems the most obvious to me) any other suggestions?
My thinking is to promote the event as early as possible to give attendees enough time to gather the materials they will need, ie DIY kits or materials from Green beans; and have kits avialable on-the-day.

Aimee:
Money, we'll need to see how far our small amount of savings will take us regarding printing flyiers, posters etc.

Designer: We need a Logo-type banner designed to put onto promotional material. And cool layout for posters.
We need to know where we can put promo posters up.

Pre-sewers: We'll need patterns available and examples of nappies/covers at various stages of completion to help explain the next sewing step quickly and easily.

Timetable organiser: We'll need a comprehensive schedule for the actual week. Dividing each day/workshop up into sections etc.

Kits cordinator:
Need to put together some of our own DIY kits of fabrics and notions available for purchase (sale price covers cost of materials).

Knitting instruction?? Helenz, Aimee?

Cost researcher:
Someone to work out all the costings of making your own cloth nappies, covers, trainers. Display this info in a user freindly form.

plus heaps more!!!
Abbe

moppit
TNN addict

Post by moppit » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:35 pm

Doing the sewing thing is great for showing cloth can be cheap but I think the real sell in MCN is that they can also be just as convenient as plastic ones.

IMO if we are going to aim at only the COST we should target uni and South Dunedin areas. It would also be more directed at SAHMs and Ds as they are the ones with time to sew. (do poor people go the markets ??)

Also for me (and presumably some others) a sewing machine is as scary and off putting as pins and flats.

Maybe we could also have a little bit on convenience and how you can use them even if both parents are very busy and work etc . Or we could focus on that aspect next year??

I hope that does all sound rude. The only thing I've sewn in my life was an apron in form 1 home ec.

moppit
TNN addict

Post by moppit » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 pm

What about a poster or something at WINZ? or like the foodbank?

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 pm

You need to come along on Friday and throw some ideas around with us ;)
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2007”