RNW 2009 - International or Australasian?

Netty
TNN nerd

RNW 2009 - International or Australasian?

Post by Netty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:03 pm

I’d really like to see a decision made on this quite soon, as it’s been quite difficult to organise things with so little notice this year – especially not finding out dates till just before Christmas making it difficult to get anything happening until February.

As far as I can tell, and I’m sure others will have things to add, this is the pros and cons of the two options:

International Real Nappy Week:
Pros:
- The image of being an international event
- Keeping ties and alliances with an international organisation
- Good weather

Cons:
- There is so much else that happens in March/April
- Not having a predictable week for the event (is this correct? Is it because of Easter?)
- Coming into winter (washing concerns for new users)
- Having it in the school holidays (harder to promote and get baby sitters).

Australasian Reusable Nappy Week
Pros:
- Keeping close ties with our neighbour (quite a few Aussies on TNN)
- More say with what happens
- Dates initially negotiable
- Same week each year (better for booking stuff)
- Coming into good weather
- Got all winter to make preparations (when there’s less other things on)
- More babies are born in spring.

Cons:
- The name could do with improvement (Australasian doesn’t sound very New Zealand)
- Not a “worldwide” event
- Weather can be quite dodgy in spring (although if early September worked with them the weather is usually quite nice)

What do people think?
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm in favour of International because of the links to WEN and the whole international, envirnmental links

My proviso on that would be i would want to know the dates in the next couple of months... not panicing late in the year (or early next) as for Auckland I would like to see us booking venues etc in advance... with the school holidays alot of public nappacino venues were no longer an option.

I'll post in your other thread when I've got both hands free!
Lisa

FluffyMail
TNN guru

Post by FluffyMail » Thu May 01, 2008 5:06 pm

I would prefer Australasian.

I believe we would be better hitting this during the better weather season.

Most peoples biggest complaint for cloth is having to do soooooo much washing and getting it dry. Holding Real Nappy Week during the winter season is just highlighting that! too many will make that excuse. Wheras summer time they can't! :lol:

Seriously though, the holidays are always a crazy busy time for me with the kiddies, and normally school holidays are fairly quiet as far as people purchasing is concerned but these holidays have been the opposite - I can only contribute that to Real Nappy Week! I am not complaining .... but I just think the timing of it is not the best.

My thoughts anyway .....
now FluffyMail formally ittibittinz
Karyn - Mum to Jakob 9 and Isaac 6
NZ Distributor of itti bitti and ones&twos

Image Image

itti bitti FACEBOOK page
ones & twos FACEBOOK page

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Thu May 01, 2008 5:10 pm

what about a all new new zealand real nappy week?
everyone i talked to about it just called it real nappy week and never said anything about it being international.
maybe we could do our own thing and have it to suit everyone?
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

Callum's godmother
TNN guru

Post by Callum's godmother » Thu May 01, 2008 9:24 pm

Netty, last time this was discussed Kate (NappyDays) put on a post on behalf of retailers -

"Hi everyone,

After discussing it with other retailers who are like me, all set to go for April, we will be promoting real nappy week along side the dates set by RNA in the UK. As far as we are concerned, Real Nappy week is an international event and it pays for us to follow it. I and many others have booked advertising and I am set to do seminars around the country along with other promotions.

Maybe it would pay to converse with the retailers whom it affects before you decide to make it to suit yourselves.

Regards
Kate Meads"

It was on this thread http://thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/vi ... hlight=rnw

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Fri May 02, 2008 7:45 am

If you read the context of that thread it was talking about RNW 2008. That is why I'm bringing this up now for 2009 so that we have a chance to discuss it before it is upon us - so we can all actually get bookings in to the good venues before they are all booked out. One of my major difficulties with RNW this year was the lack of notice.

Of course we need to hear from retailers and also from organisers.
I'm not in a position to make any decisions, I just want it discussed and decided on in plenty of time for next year - what ever that decision is!
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

Ethan's Mum
TNN nerd

Post by Ethan's Mum » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 am

bumping

International dates this year are April 27th - 2nd May. :TNN1:

I probably won't have time to help with organising this year, but keen to have a stall again at an AKL event (& possibly Hamilton & Whangarei if anything's happening :D ).

Anyone keen to do something????

Tweedle
TNN guru

Post by Tweedle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am

I also don't think holding this event during winter is the 'ideal' - as it is really hard to sell to newbies when we don't have good drying conditions!! :?

I would be keen to get something going in Wellington this year.......I know there are hardly any retailers around here but we didn't do a thing last year due to lack of organisation! :roll:

Would also be keen to know when we plan to holding it so I can organise myself too! :D
Rachael - Mum to :princess: Ellie, :king: Dylan & :princess: Lauren
http://www.tweedle.co.nz
http://www.woven.co.nz

Woven - Facebook Page
Tweedle - Facebook Page

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi!

I didn't jump up to organise anything for Auckland this year, and was feeling a bit stink about it but having a wee one and all it didn't suit.

Last year organising the expo sucked up ALOT of time for many people and i felt pretty ripped by the Nappy Alliance doing some great promotion but not sharing the love y'know? Nothing personal just a bit jaded after contacting newspapers, writing press releases etc

What does the Nappy Alliance have planned that we can either work with them or do compliamentary activities? (eg: retailers can organise a sale and we can do compliamentary stuff like public nappacino)

And is there any particular reason we can't CELEBRATE both?

If we have the dates for Australasian then I'd be up for helping organise an Auckland expo for then.
Lisa

FluffyMail
TNN guru

Post by FluffyMail » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 pm

I was always for the summer time Real Nappy Week, but I have to say, last years Auckland one was awesome! There was alot more foot traffic that the year prior, and I found that I had alot of people visit my stand that were actually pregnant, so the time of the year wasn't necessarily an issue, more the fact if it is a rainy/cold day, then some might not want to venture out .... but then again you could get a crappy day in the summer as well.

Image Image

itti bitti FACEBOOK page

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Ethan's Mum wrote:bumping

International dates this year are April 27th - 2nd May. :TNN1:

Oh yay, I googled for it a few weeks ago, but couldn't find the dates, then forgot all about it - thanks Helen for being on to it.

Netty, it's a pain, I know, but partly why we have short lead times to book for venues etc is because we don't usually know the dates till about 3 months out.

Ethan's Mum
TNN nerd

Post by Ethan's Mum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:56 pm

If something goes ahead in Aucks I recommend the Mt Albert War Memorial Hall for the venue shortlist. It will hold more stall holders than the Western Springs venue & also has a roomy foyer area which could hold more stalls too. There's heaps of parking, Rocket Park (cool kids playground) right next door & a good coffee place across the road 8-)

Good :cuppa: is very important :wink: :lol:

rangitotogirl
TNN oracle

Post by rangitotogirl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:41 pm

You could always do both this year. :wink: And do one on a Saturday, and the other one on a Sunday just for variety.

Western Springs would have a bit more foot traffic wouldn't it Helen?

http://www.carrymybaby.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/carrymybabynewzealand

http://www.scarecrowfarm.co.nz
http://www.facebook.com/scarecrowfarm
http://www.mobywrap.co.nz

FluffyMail
TNN guru

Post by FluffyMail » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:46 pm

rangitotogirl wrote:You could always do both this year. :wink: And do one on a Saturday, and the other one on a Sunday just for variety.

Western Springs would have a bit more foot traffic wouldn't it Helen?

Thats what I would have thought, Western Springs did have alot of traffic that day ..... the other place was off the main Road.

Do you think we would have many more retailers than we did last year?

Image Image

itti bitti FACEBOOK page

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Have emailed the council re availabilty of Western Springs, Panmure, or Mt ALbert on Sat 2nd. (top two venues from last year, and Helen's suggestion).

In theory if we could pull it off, public demo's / napacinos leading up to it with the hope of using that for publicity for an expo/event. Would be good to get hte largest venue possible and have all sorts of reusable products as well as the focus on nappies... lots of TNNers have compliamentary business's.

I guess the question is : what kind of events do people want from RNW?

Does being "international" help us any? Could we have the international week and a national day in summer? as in "National Babies in Cloth day"

Brainstorming tangent : some sort of award for hte most cloth friendly hospital (certificates are cheap :lol: ) and cloth friendly childcare awards etc...

Oh and someone more organised to run a pimp-my-nappy competition 'cause I sucked, and still owe Joanne a prize :oops:

Right: STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!! I must go to bed and I must not be drawn into taking over.
Lisa

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”