Christchurch - DIY focus - Class THIS Sunday! update p3

Dunners
TNN oracle

Christchurch - DIY focus - Class THIS Sunday! update p3

Post by Dunners » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Warning, massive detailed post to follow.

There are 2 components I wish to discuss on this thread; the "DIY demo" at the Expo, and the "make a pocket" classes held later in May.

I am happy to "take charge" of this - sorry if I come across a bit bossy - I think I have the experience to pull this off, and I am keen to get my teeth into it (kinda keen to get back into the classroom :oops: ). I am VERY keen for helpers though ;) So, the info below is what I've been pondering. I am very open to ideas/recommendations etc.

DIY Demo
The way I see this happening;

I have some fitteds, pockets & stitch & turn covers made up to different stages (4 stages for each I think) from previous RNWs. I plan to display these in a progressive fashion on some tables. If you have other nappies like AIOs, serged edge fitteds, FOE covers, hand knits etc at various stages of being made up, please bring them along. Feel free to cut out some nappies and bring them along in case you have a chance to work on them to show various steps. Also, if you have a few scraps of sample nappy fabrics feel free to bring them along.

I also want some sewing machines set up with nappies being made by volunteers (Hannah, Carla, Claire, myself, others?). Not head down sew, sew, sew, but rather talking through and demonstrating specific steps as the guests seek advice (using the half-made nappies, fabric samples, etc). I do not intend for these to be used to teach guests, but rather to demonstrate.

One/some of us are needed to man the class sign ups.

I had initially intended to cut out half a dozen nappies to whip up to demonstrate things (as in sew, sew, sew), but I suspect I am probably going to end up in more of a talking role now that we have the classes on offer.

I am thinking that a float of some sort to provide change for the deposit at the Expo would be useful. Suggestions? Anyone have access to $5 notes which they could bring to the Expo which we'll swap for $10/20 as required? (one less thing for me to try not to forget ;))

If you have not made your own nappies, please do not feel as though you can't mill around this area. You are welcome and important to be a point of contact, even if you can't answer specific questions.

What have I missed? (I've typed out the class info first so I'm a bit :lala: now :oops: )

Make a Pocket Hands-on classes
I have requested a booking at Christchurch South Learning Centre - in the Christchurch South Library, Colombo St, Beckenham. The booking is still to be authorised by their head honcho, but there shouldn't be an issue with it. Unfortunately our Thursday date of choice is already booked, but I have been able to book the Sunday.

Booking for one class:
Sunday 24th May
1-3.30 pm (booked time - aim to wrap up around 3.15 pm, have to be out by 4 pm as the Library is locked & alarmed).
Christchurch South Learning Centre, Christchurch South Library, Colombo St, Beckenham.

Booking for other class:
To be confirmed

I am happy to arrange another booking for a weeknight at the same place (Thursday 21st unavailable) - also very happy to travel to another part of Christchurch which has its benefits for participants, I just need a few ideas on places to approach (thanks Claire, and Laura - if either of your Church Halls are available for Thursday 21st May during the evening feel free to pencil book that in). Any other venue ideas? I can always phone the Learning Centre about the Upper Riccarton Centre.

Room charge:
The Learning Centre is free for Not for Profit groups - which we are if we don't charge for the learning side of things. I explained that they will need to purchase a nappy kit, but that is for the materials only. Otherwise it is $15/h room hire.

Tea & Coffee & food:
The Learning Centre has tea/coffee facilities. They ask for $1 per head to cover costs. I personally think it would be a great idea to include this in the cost of the course - people do need a break. We are allowed to eat in the rooms - do we provide an afternoon tea/supper? Do we charge a bit more to cover this?

Capacity:
The room has a max of 35, but there is NO way we will want that many people as sewing machines on tables will take up more space than bums on seats (and imagine the noise!). I have thoughts of 10-12 max "participants" in the class, assuming there will also be a couple of helpers ;).

I have also been pondering a few scenarios of whom we may attract to the classes.

Children & babies:
I would like to ask for participants to make alternative arrangements for their children - though I'm not too sure where to draw the line for wee babies. I'm thinking that a wee baby (as in up to a few months old) would be ok, assuming the Mum was happy to potentially go home with a nappy unfinished if their baby required their attention during that time. (they should still get something out of the class re: making a nappy). Thoughts?

Support person/family member whom sews:
That also leads onto another scenario - what if the Mum would like to bring a support person (such as a hubby or gran) to either look after the wee baby and/or help with the sewing side of things. I am thinking that would be ok, though it would be an issue if more than say 4 people were wanting to do this. Fair? Thoughts? If it is say a Mum & Gran team - are we happy with one "enrolment" for them, assuming they will work on one nappy together, at one sewing machine, etc. I am feeling happy with this thought. (I am pro empowering and if a Mum bringing her Mum to help means they are there, great!)

Helpers:
I would love any of you to get involved - even if you don't sew! I would love to have a couple of extra bodies floating around - if you can sew, great, you can help with one-on-one at a technical level. If you can't sew, it's likely you'll understand the concepts behind a pocket nappy (PUL - waterproof, microfleece - staydry, stuff with absorbent pad etc), so you'll still be a great help. It would be great to have someone hanging around the snap press(es) to help with those (they are quick to learn if you've not used one yourself yet), and let's not forget the really important roles of meeting & greeting, and afternoon tea/supper. So, who is keen? :) (and LMK which day you can help too).

Sewing machines:
Ideally I'd like everyone enrolled in the course to have their own sewing machine and bring it with them. I have a spare sewing machine I can bring, but I'd ideally like every participant to have their own sewing machine (so we can direct them to the stitches on their machine to use, etc). If you have a sewing machine that you'd be willing to bring and have others use (and possibly you use to demonstrate steps) please LMK. Please note, I believe that it's VERY important that they do it for themselves, to help them remember what they are doing when they go home and we're not there to hold their hands. You will not be there to sew it for them. If you show them how to do something, it will be on a spare nappy, not on their one! (I'm pretty stubborn about this ;))

Level of expertise:
Although I consider sewing a nappy to be a beginner task, I'd like all participants to have a few basic skills before coming to the class. Skills I can think of are; filling a bobbin, threading the machine, using reverse, changing the needle, changing stitch type/length. What have I missed? I shall encourage them to bring their sewing machine manual with them (if they have one).

Other equipment:
If some members whom own a snap press would be happy to bring it along, that would be great (unfortunately mine is in Ashburton so I cannot bring mine). Feel free to bring unfinished nappies.

Cost to participate:
* Nappy kit from Bumbles $10-12 (Paula, if we can aim for $11 that makes my figures neater ;))
* Afternoon tea/supper $2
* Extras (e.g. covering supper for helpers, spare snaps & other notions, spare machine needles) $2
= Total $15
$5 deposit required when they sign up on Sunday at the Expo (tie them down). $10 remaining required on the night/afternoon.

Bookings:
I have thought out a booking sheet in my mind, which I shall type up and print out for Sunday at the Expo. Ideally I'd like people to sign up at the Expo, though I understand that some people would need to consult their calendars. Is anyone willing to be the contact person for bookings after the Expo? Is it viable to accept bookings by email only (then we can reply with the paperwork to prep for the course). I would personally rather not have to chase people up by phone.
Details I'd like on sign up: (whether in person at Expo which is the preferred method or by email)
* name
* phone number
* email
* age of child/ren
* size of nappy they wish to make (Small or Medium - note; making a large nappy is a bit tricker because of the size of the nappy cut required - that will stuff up the pricing. If someone wants to make a large we'll have to increase the cost of their course fee a little I think - can confirm cost by phone before the class)
* boy/girl/unisex (to get an idea of nappy cuts required)
* additional comments (e.g. bringing newborn, bringing Gran to help sew, won't have a sewing machine at class, etc)

Paperwork for those enrolled
To take away from the Expo (or emailed to those whom enrol by email later)
* a slip of paper with details of the class they are enrolled in
* extra things to bring to the course - $10, sewing machine, manual, good thread, spare sewing needles, unpicker/seam ripper, good cutting scissors not used for paper, biro pen, (snacks if we're not providing supper/afternoon tea)
* a summary of basic skills they need re using the sewing machine (as above)

Extra paperwork:
* Contact details to book for a class by email (after checking calendar ;))
* Contact list (email) of people interested in a class but those dates don't suit?

Phew!

:lala:

Thoughts?
Last edited by Dunners on Mon May 18, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Woah!! I don't know where to start! I think it is too late at night for me to think so I will have to come back tomorrow.

You've done a great job Leanne, looks great.

As I said the other night I am happy to help with the DIY sessions, more so on a weeknight than on the Sunday.

I have a snap press I can bring along.
Mum of 6

rootoo
TNN guru

Post by rootoo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Oh man my head is just :lala: reading all that!!

I would like to help with the DIY classes, but I can't commit to anything at this stage sorry. Its a week after we're moving and I'll hopefully have a job working weekends by then. If I am free I'll definately help out, I can bring a machine if needed, snap press, and would it be a good idea to have a few spare bits and pieces there as well? threads, good scissors etc? Those are the kinds of things I'd probably forget to take along :lol:

As for the diy demo at the expo I have a snap press if you need that then? Also have some fabrics here, nothing part made atm. Next planning on doing another side snap and a foe cover, but haven't done foe before so we won't use that as an example lol. Would love to see someone sewing some foe for me to watch ;)
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

kryddle
TNN nerd

Re: Christchurch - DIY focus

Post by kryddle » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Dunners wrote:
Level of expertise:
Although I consider sewing a nappy to be a beginner task, I'd like all participants to have a few basic skills before coming to the class. Skills I can think of are; filling a bobbin, threading the machine, using reverse, changing the needle, changing stitch type/length. What have I missed? I shall encourage them to bring their sewing machine manual with them (if they have one).

I think we should tell people that they can learn all this from their sewing machine manual the day before they come if they don't know it (I still use the manual for most of those things :oops: )
Krystle
Mum to Rylan 22/2/08 and
:angel: Zariah 12/4/13 fly free my beautiful girl

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm not sure yet if I can help but I would love to - just got to sort out other committments. Either way I am happy to lend me snap press if you need it.
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

gabes
TNN nerd

Post by gabes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:55 pm

I think it looks good. As a non sewer I dont feel I have much to add but your description of Sunday expo was what I thought would be happening.

The only thing - if people already have pul etc at home and want to use their own stuff? Or are you going to be specific they HAVE to buy the prepacked kit. Either way does it need to be clear when they sign up.

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 pm

I don't think it is unreasonable to sign people up with the expectation of buying/using a kit.

At least we know that they will have everything they need without the hassle of organising missing pieces.

Leanne, Paula has the DIY kits on her website as $14 - I don't think it is ureasonable to ask people to pay that and round it up to $20 to cover the cost of incedentals. I figure they will leave with a finished nappy + a photocopy of a pattern. So $20 is cheap!

We also need to nut out how we determine cost of snap vs velcro (I think charge the same but get preference when booking)

I'm thinking unisex colours only and white snaps, white fleece :D

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Just being a fly on the wall here as our expo will be in October but I'll be running a DIY stand so interested in ideas.

Kaz wrote:I'm thinking unisex colours only and white snaps, white fleece :D

Rather than asking Boy/ Girl/ neutral would it be better to ask them a colour preference eg: red/ celery/ yellow (or something like that)?
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Did you book under TNN as they already have us on file as being Not for Profit?

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Netty wrote:Just being a fly on the wall here as our expo will be in October but I'll be running a DIY stand so interested in ideas.

Kaz wrote:I'm thinking unisex colours only and white snaps, white fleece :D

Rather than asking Boy/ Girl/ neutral would it be better to ask them a colour preference eg: red/ celery/ yellow (or something like that)?

It's actually better to give people less options, some people can't cope with too many variables ;). Like limit it to a couple fleece colours and up to 5 PUL kinda thing. The boy/girl/neutral choice is quite a popular one.
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:04 pm

:lala: The sunday date for the sewing a pocket nappy sounds good, and I'm happy to help. Can bring my snap press, and sewing machine if needed :D

My head is spinning a little will come back when I'm feeling a bit better (silly migraines! :evil: )
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

I will be back later as I have been pondering a few issues a bit more.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:55 pm

Wow Lianne - great work!!
Sorry- I havent had a chance to turn on the computer today at all before now.
No go at my church hall for the Thursday..

I dont think that $20 is cheap .. worried that will price some people out ?

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 pm

I can probably help on the 24th - will check with DH he's happy to be in charge of boys (and I'm feeling bad I can't help this Sunday at the expo) - so count me in, I'm sure it will be fine.

I think $20 would be fairly expensive (after all, I know you're learning how to make them, but you could almost buy one for that), $15 seems more reasonable and the max to me (after all, I learnt from you lot for free!). But I would just say materials included and get people to choose pink/blue/yellow beforehand when they sign up i.e. don't give them too many choices - just an outer colour and make all the microfleece white or butter or something - make it easier for Paula than customising kits for people who don't really know what colour is what in PUL anyway.

It would be impossible to do with lots of kids around, so I'd just phrase it as 'young babies only' to cover small and breastfed babes.
You know who I am! Mum to DS1(7), DS2(6), DD(6), DS3(5).

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Don't stress over money :D I've asked Michelle if we could get $80 to cover advertising and she said to get the receipts to her and she will reimburse.

We can then use any money left over to help cover the cost of the DIY sessions.

I still think people should pay $14 for a kit as that is what they would pay if they were to purchase it directly from Paula (+ I don't want her to be out of pocket)

It's not so much that we want to make money, but I think it is fair to give some reimbursement for thread, needles for people's sewing machines and printing of patterns. If cost is also a factor maybe we shouldn't provide refreshments (it also makes cleaning up easier). There is a cafe that you can purchase food/drink from or bring your own.

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”