AGm Discussion : Committe member roles

Annual General Meeting
Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:26 am

posh wrote:
nova wrote:imo it would be extremely preferably to have non-wahms in committee roles, mostly because that also protects from accusation of bias.. i think stacey has done a remarkable job of being *and* appearing unbiased! :bow:

Very valid point about the WAHMs, nova... :)

And totally agree about Stacey being unbiased :)

Also, I wouldn't think that WAHMs had any free time to spare for being on the TNN committee? :shrug:

I agree too. So whom in that list does that affect? Katriana, Navarri, anyone else?

Katriana
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Katriana » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:45 am

Well I actually take offense at the suggestion that WAHM's cannot be unbiased.

Don't believe it's affected my role thus far, and it it certainly hasn't affected Stacey's role (she's a wahm too)..

but if that's what the majority want then withdraw my interest please.

Carolyn

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:06 am

Katriana wrote:Well I actually take offense at the suggestion that WAHM's cannot be unbiased.

Don't believe it's affected my role thus far, and it it certainly hasn't affected Stacey's role (she's a wahm too)..

but if that's what the majority want then withdraw my interest please.

Carolyn

IMO there is room for WAHM's on the committee etc.

Also be careful that WAHM's are different from say "people working in the cloth nappy industry" (which includes owners/employees of various businesses and is more precise) because a WAHM doing telemarketing is quite different from a nappy retailler.

However I think there should be key roles like chairman / spokesman / treasurer which would be better to be outside of the cloth nappy industry. Because they need to be seen to be unbiased.

TNN is not specifically for users or retailers of cloth nappies and we need to be careful to keep that beautiful balance.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:06 am

Don't take offence Katriana. I wasn't implying that you couldn't be unbiased, but rather how do we see it in the future with positions & WAHMs.

One difference with Stacey is that she was Forum Admin before being a WAHM, and this is all very new to use because this is our first AGM with positions up for filling.

Just throwing the thought out there for thrashing around.

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:38 pm

I actually bought up the WAHM question (although your are right Lisa it should be "workers in the nappy industry") because there was a lot of discussion on it awhile back and it was my memory that we had voted against them being on the board... or maybe it was a percentage of the board, I cant remember and wanted clarification. TNN has been accused of bias in the past and I think we need to be very mindful of it.

ETA -
Pros - funds available for projects
Cons - we have to have appropriate uses for those funds, we don't want to accumulate cash just because we can

This is what I was wondering. At the moment TNN inc does not really have any use for funds other than for the running of the forum and RNW. Perhaps we need another "where are we headed" type thread to throw ideas around.

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Katriana wrote:Well I actually take offense at the suggestion that WAHM's cannot be unbiased.
you *completely* misread what was written.
protects from accusation of bias
my bold. even if someone is completely unbiased, people who feel wronged in a situation may attribute that to bias. The intention was to *protect* wahms from false accusations.

please don't take offense at something that wasn't suggested in the slightest :)

oh yeah when i say wahms in this context i mean MCN/baby-related product wahms specifically.
:star:

Katriana
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Katriana » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks for clarifying.. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive..

I've been doing the moderator role for about a year now, and basically I don't think there has ever been a situation where my wahm and moderator roles have conflicted..

If there have been situations where a wahm needs a reminder/warning whatever it has been another moderator who has done it (actually looking back it's another wahm mum but not a cloth nappy seller)..

Mostly I keep an eye on the goings on.. look out for dodgy members (mainly spammers) and remove them (well actually it's an admin person who removes them but I delete the posts).. Must say I was totally oblivious to the recent scammer :roll: .. I take requests to remove/lock threads etc.. Not a huge role but it suits the time I have available and I like to be part of the community that also supports me.

I personally wouldn't take on chairperson, secretary or trasurer role.. and maybe not even site admin but it has nothing to do with being a wahm.

Carolyn

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Another point is the discussion is committee roles, mods are not committee roles :wink:

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Mods will be 'sub-commitee' roles....so, while it isnt directly related to the discussion at hand, it is still relevant to clarify the role :)

Nova - the 'protection from accusation of bias' is a valid point - I have been, shall we say, 'insinuated to' that I have been biased in some dealings. <shrug> (One of our more colourful previous members), but I do always try to give people another option - ie: If Im too close to the situation, then folks can talk to another Mod. On occasion Ive asked other board members to deal with a person or situation.

I do think the set-up we have is well designed to protect against bias - being a committee in the first place, having a limit on the percentage of 'commercial members' that can hold positions...forum wise, the mod team is a good mix of wahms and non-wahms, from different geographical locations (we were a bit heavy on the christchurch gals for a while there ;) ), and most decisions and situations are discussed.

Of course - there is ALWAYS someone that will cry fault with any situation. But, so long as the board can prove neutrality if pushed to - and of course, as long as the culture of TNN continues to be open and inclusive, then 99% of people will have trust in that neutrality already.

One issue that may be relevant for 'commercial members' to think about, is that their advertising etc will be scrutinized much more closely than WAHMs not on the board. This is one reason why I have done very little advertising here, even though I dont even make nappies.

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:15 pm

And......

But sheesh! We need people who are motivated to do the jobs! I do believe the board had a similar discussion when drawing up the rules - because people working in the industry have more motivation to support TNN and thus fill board positions. The totally independent person that wants to be a board member is quite thin on the ground, and the enthusiasm generally wears off once their kids are out of nappies.

TBH - Im happy to see people volunteering!! I should be jumping up and down and saying "thank you thank you thank you!!" more.

:smt041 :smt023 :smt041 :smt023 :smt041

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:03 pm

k8ylou wrote:Anyone have any ideas about the WAHM's on committee? I tried to get to the 'rules' but the society site was down. CC - do you have the rules wtih you? I'd just be afraid of issues around conflict of interest and ability to be unbias. But, if we don't have people to fill spots, can we be choosy? :D

Just bear in mind new Board can always revise the current Rules and document it with the Society's registry. Currently, of interest to the discussion would be these parts of the current rule:

Clause 5.2:
An applicant who is a Commercial Seller or is connected with a Commercial Seller is entitled only to become a Commercial Member.

Clause 5.7 Rights of Commercial Members: Commercial Members shall have the same rights as Full Members except that:

* No more than 25% of the Board shall consist of Commercial Members at any time, and if necessary the last elected Commercial Member shall be removed from the Board until this requirement is fulfilled.

* A Full Member may at any time move that all Commercial Members, or one or more named Coomercial Members, not vote on a particular resolution of the Board or the Society.

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:07 pm

As long as the position is filled, and completed in a timely manner for the next year at least...does it really matter who does it? I mean, as long as it's actually done?
Not saying we should flood the committee with WAHM's, but wouldn't a couple gleam some "market" perspective??
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Dunners wrote:Another role I was thinking of last night if Karmiec is happy to have a side kick, I'd be happy to do RNW for the South Island?

The RNW role is a biggie - perhaps it can be titled something like Events Coordinator to cover other events other than Real Nappy Week (you know, in anticipation of MCN growth and TNN Inc growth that in future we can organise more events? Currently in Auckland, we have also been involved with the annual Eco Show and Toddler Day Out.) In any case whether it stays as specifically RNW or Events Coordinator, I'd strongly suggest having a sub commitee so that there's a dedicated role for each region. People like Kaz and a few others are/have actually taken on the regional roles unofficially because they're just such proactive and passionate nappy nutters (in jest!) however the main issue is communication between each regions. So having a dedicated coordinator and a sub committee will mean a more concerted and coordinated effort with benefits of economies of scale etc.

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Claire wrote:This is what I was wondering. At the moment TNN inc does not really have any use for funds other than for the running of the forum and RNW. Perhaps we need another "where are we headed" type thread to throw ideas around.

TNN could aim towards purchasing nappy samples for the Demo Kits rather than rely on WAHMs?

Certainly, one of the objectives that TNN is established for as set out in our Rules is:

Clause 2c: to facilitate research into reusable nappy systems in order to minimise detrimental effects on the natural environment and in order to make reusable nappy systems more available and usable by families in financial need.

So plenty of scope there - there will be no end to what TNN funds can and ought to be used for :-) For example, WCC hire kits are being subsidised so heavily this year that a kit can be hired for as little as $30 for the one off 7 week hire. With funds, TNN Inc could be in the position to subsidise or sponsor such a deal.

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Callum's godmother wrote:sorry Michelle, I can't recall being asked for info on hire kits - i do the invoicing on advertising and that was the info I supplied to you!

Helen, I just forwarded you an email I sent you early December, but perhaps I'm not using the right email address? If you don't get this one, PM me your current email address (if you didn't want it public).

Return to “Archived - AGM 2009”