Testers wanted: Breastwarmers for Raynaud's people

Nappies, knitting patterns or anything else where you can post for testers wanted
ob1
TNN nutter

Testers wanted: Breastwarmers for Raynaud's people

Post by ob1 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 pm

I've been making my own breastwarmers as I'm not that keen on the only commercial brand available ($40 and you have to get from Oz - http://www.simplesolutions-int.com.au/C ... x?catid=32

I think someone should be selling something like this in nz. There can't be much of a market as simple solutions used to have a retailer in nz, but never found a new one when the people they were using closed down, however it would be a service to women in nz. A cheaper price would be good too... I couldn't justify a second pair, so just suffered when they were in the wash... Breastmates have said they might be interested in listing something so I've been looking into developing something.

The commercial breastwarmers are really bulky. Mine have fleece on the back to stop them slipping, insul-bright as the heat reflective water proof layer, and topped with microfleece to ensure the breasts stay dry and warm.

I'd love to have some people test these out for me and see what they think, are there any people out there with Raynaud's who might be interested? Women with larger cup sizes would be great, as I have smaller sizes covered here :-) However anyone would be fine for providing feedback on shape, general design, and how well they last.

Any advice/suggestions/things you'd like to see in them etc would also be apprechiated.

TIA
Last edited by ob1 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tara
Mum to Olly, Emma, and Anna

www.summerwarmth.co.nz
Breastfeeding products and information for women with Raynaud's

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

LaraB
TNN nerd

Post by LaraB » Sat May 23, 2009 7:35 pm

I have reynauds, and found breast feeding really painful, and would love to try some out. Im not due for another 7 weeks though.
<-----My little munchkin

ditto
TNN guru

Post by ditto » Sat May 23, 2009 7:40 pm

I would have if I was still feeding :) Good idea. Do you find they work well for relieving pain? I tried quite a variety of breast pads (topped with fleece/merino/silk/cotton/minky/suedecloth) and unfortunately they didn't help. Possum fibre could work!
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

ob1
TNN nutter

Post by ob1 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi LaraB, even though you aren't due for a while, you can still tell me what you think about the general design, the shape, fit etc. and they'll be there for you when you need them :-) PM me your address, and if you want small or large (small is 11cm, large is 13 cm - probably a cup C/D).

Ditto, good to hear you aren't suffering now, I'm not currently bf, but it came back with winter anyway, maybe because I'm pregnant? Yes I find they make a huge difference, the reflective material is what people use in oven mitts etc, and I just need to wear them for a day or so and I no longer notice any pain.

Cheers
Tara

www.summerwarmth.co.nz

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Sat May 23, 2009 8:09 pm

i suffered from Raynards when i was BFing and would be very interested when i get a chance to bf again. my mum made me boob shaped wheat bags that i used with a pad infront.
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

ob1
TNN nutter

Post by ob1 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Laura, your wheat bags sound great, I remember using our huge wheat bags at night to start with, so not practical... that instant heat is great, my pads rely on reflecting your own heat, so do a slower job, but so much more portable :-)

why oh why do I have to be having a winter baby...
Tara

www.summerwarmth.co.nz

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

Uglyduckling
TNN nerd

Post by Uglyduckling » Sat May 23, 2009 8:29 pm

if you still need testers I have a friend with this and would make a perfect candidate to test for you. PM me if you still need someone :)
Jen (aka Ducky) mother of three beautiful babies. Miss 7 and Master almost 5yo and Miss almost 2yo

mumtotwo
TNN oracle

Post by mumtotwo » Sat May 23, 2009 8:49 pm

I'm very small but if you need another small tester ( though no leaks now ) give me a yell
Mum to my two gorgeous and sometimes headache inducing children
Mara 21/02/96
Ashley 27/03/06

Image Image

ob1
TNN nutter

Post by ob1 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Thanks mumtotwo, can you pm me your address, I've also been making some pads that aren't so bulky, I'll send you some of these.
Last edited by ob1 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tara

www.summerwarmth.co.nz

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

mamacas
TNN nerd

Post by mamacas » Sat May 23, 2009 11:04 pm

id be very interested in testing some for you as i was just diognosed with mastitis again yesterday :evil: (this is the seventh time)
I also suffer from breast chills and pain in the nipples.
i have average/large boobs and im a leaker, so if you are still after testers let me know.

ob1
TNN nutter

Post by ob1 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Mamacas, can you please pm me your address. The simple solution people advertise their pads as "mastitis pads", with the heat helping to relieve some of the pain, and encourage blood flow in the area. Their pads go right under your arm, so would cover any areas with blocked ducts, which mine may not.

7 lots of mastitis is not good. I'm sure you know all about it by now, but just wondering if the infections are occuring close together, is your dr is tring different antibiotics? Resistance is such problem nowdays... I hope you feel better soon.

Having sore nipples can also be a source of infection, my raynaud's lead to damaged ducts at the surface, so for some people the raynaud's can lead to other problems.
Tara

www.summerwarmth.co.nz

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

Lainy
TNN guru

Re: Testers wanted: Breastwarmers for Raynaud's people

Post by Lainy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:07 pm

sorry to hijack this and i see it's a bit old, but reading this i had bells ringing...I get raynaud's in toes and fingers thanks to lupus, and had a terrible time breastfeeding with blanching and horrible pain and then purple/black colouring afterwards..

Does this sound like Raynauds? I'd never heard of it in association with nipples....it might explain a bit!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:13 am

yip sounds like it ! its not fun at all
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

rochellej
TNN guru

Post by rochellej » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:56 am

Lainy, there is a bit of information here about Reynauds in breastfeeding Mum's http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom ... ching.html

It does sound like it fits what you experienced & it's definitely no fun :(

If you wish to try breastfeeding future babies, there are ways to minimise the effects of Reynauds & lots more information around now than there was when I was breastfeeding Daniel with it 8 years ago.
Rochelle

Daniel - 2002
Maia - 2004
Ava - 2006

Lainy
TNN guru

Post by Lainy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:21 am

thanks guys! :D
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Testers”