February 2010 Crafty/Talent Theme

Dunners
TNN oracle

February 2010 Crafty/Talent Theme

Post by Dunners » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:47 pm

YOU are invited to join us for our February Crafty/Talent Themes.

There are no rules. There are no deadlines. You can choose any media that you would like to use, for example; sewing, knitting, crochet, painting, beading, embroidery, poem/short story/song, photography, stamping, scrapbooking, etc

There are 2 themes for February, both based on dates in February...

"100% Pure New Zealand" (Waitangi Day)

and/or

"Love is ..." (Valentine's Day)

You can choose either one, or both. You can prepare as many "items" as you like, even link the two into one piece if that's what you want to do. Again, there are no rules, you can do as you please. I am hoping that these Monthly Themes open up opportunities to try something new, glean some inspiration, share ideas & skills, and maybe set a wee personal challenge.

Feel free to brainstorm on this thread. I'm hoping we'll soon be given a Themes category under the DIY section :pray: so we can post new threads for each month (topic/brainstorm for each month, and a separate gallery for each theme).
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

rootoo
TNN guru

Re: February 2010 Crafty/Talent Theme

Post by rootoo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Hmmit probably doesn't really come under either theme but my project for this month is to finish DS's birth sampler cross-stitch before we finish redecorating his room (also this month's project lol). Love is... spending 16 months (and counting) stitching...? :lol:
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:54 pm

And now for my brainstorming.

For the 100% Pure New Zealand theme I'm planning to make me a skirt, and I'm thinking I'll embellish it with some native flowers (maybe using beads, or folded flowers or applique). Another thought I had was to stencil on a Koru, and embellish with a kiwiana like ribbon. (or even a tee with a koru would be cool too).

And for the Love is..., not entirely sure though we have an engagement party and a wedding (different couples) to attend in the next month so I need to sort out presents, and outfits to wear.

So, still pulling ideas together for these as you can see ;)

( :lol: roo - I started a "wedding certificate" when DH & I were engaged - that is nearly 11 years ago! AND I have a nursery one unfinished - kids are well & truly past that phase now, and I think I started that about 10 years ago :lol: One. day.)
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

misstickle
TNN guru

Post by misstickle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 pm

My one thing for this month is to do Jayes quilt. That could be based under the "Love Is" category as I love her so much lol.
Formerly known as SPUNKBUBBLE

Laura - keeping up the trend of 'dodgy usernames' since 2007 ;)
Mum to Manaia and Jaye.

rootoo
TNN guru

Post by rootoo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Skirt sounds amazing!! Maybe I need to make myself some clothes since everything I see in shops is awful atm!!

Dunners wrote:( :lol: roo - I started a "wedding certificate" when DH & I were engaged - that is nearly 11 years ago! AND I have a nursery one unfinished - kids are well & truly past that phase now, and I think I started that about 10 years ago :lol: One. day.)

See thats why I'm in a rush to finish, before he decides Beatrix Potter Cross-stitch is sooo not cool enough to go in his room! :lol:
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

daikininz
TNN nerd

Post by daikininz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 am

My "Love is..." thing isn't exactly crafty (other than sneaky :lol: ) but will enable me to spend more time crafting... there are a few places that have become dumping grounds for the stuff that hasn't had a new home found since the shift. I'm going to unpack the stuff in the garage, tidy up in there (creating storage space), tidy up under the stairs, sort out the corner of the hall, and organise the rest of our room. If I do it in that order DH won't notice straight away - and when he gets back from a few days at a conference later this month I should be finished.
Becca
Mum of MissK12, MrJ8, MrX6, MrJ5, MissC3
1 dog (Chester)

:PC: Find our blogs on parenting, geocaching and my creative efforts at narelo.com

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:24 am

I've been thinking about ideas for the upcoming engagement & wedding celebrations we will be attending in the next few weeks and how I can link these in with "Love is..."

I have a book here "Love - moments, intimacy, laughter, kinship" which I found on the bookshelf. There are some lovely quotes in there;

"Only the soul that loves is happy" Goethe
"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so imprtant a biological phenomenon as first love?" Albert Einstein
"One man all by himself is nothing. Two people who belong together make a world" Hans Margolius
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life" Maureen Hawkins
"The only cure... is love" Mother Theresa
"Where there is great love there are always miracles" Willa Cather
"Love at first sight is easy to understand. It's when two people have been looking at each other for years that it becomes a miracle" Sam Levenson
"Nothing is more beautiful than the love that has weathered the storms of life" Jerome K Jerome

And when I think "What is love?", this scripture comes to mind
"Love is patient, love is kind. it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13 v 4-8a)
Leanne

Zoes Mum
TNN nutter

Post by Zoes Mum » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:32 am

Dunners wrote:"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life" Maureen Hawkins

I can so relate to this one. I bet most mothers can.

Dunners wrote:"Love is patient, love is kind. it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13 v 4-8a)

Something to live up to.
Jodie
Image Image
"How come it takes so little time for a child who is afraid of the dark to become a teenager who wants to stay out all night?!"

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I've nearly finished my "100% Pure New Zealand" skirt - just a few hand sewing finishing touches to do tonight (the skirt itself was a quick sew - it's the embellishing that's taken 5 or so hours so far!) I may make a tee as well before I take a photo, shall see if I'm "over it" when I've finished the skirt...

Anything else in the pipeline?
Leanne

misstickle
TNN guru

Post by misstickle » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Dunners wrote:I've nearly finished my "100% Pure New Zealand" skirt - just a few hand sewing finishing touches to do tonight (the skirt itself was a quick sew - it's the embellishing that's taken 5 or so hours so far!) I may make a tee as well before I take a photo, shall see if I'm "over it" when I've finished the skirt...

Anything else in the pipeline?

Ooh I finished the top to Jayes quilt today :)
Formerly known as SPUNKBUBBLE

Laura - keeping up the trend of 'dodgy usernames' since 2007 ;)
Mum to Manaia and Jaye.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Copied & pasted from my blog ;) (and hoping we get a new section soon so that we can have a separate gallery...)

I worked on, and finished, my 100% Pure New Zealand skirt in the weekend. The skirt itself took just an hour or so to sew, but the embellishing took many hours. I'm stoked with the results, and because the waistband is not adjustable and I've been decreasing in size, I am hoping I'm going to have to remove the waist band in the next few months and make it smaller ;) (I put way too much work into it not to make it fit!). I adjusted the wrap-around pattern that I used for the toadstool skirt, very easy. Stoked with the results, and all from stash. Very proud of my zip-installation (with many thanks to the coaching of Marcy Tilton in http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781561580880/Easy-Guide-to-Sewing-Skirts) though I think I'll do a proper buttonhole when I re-do the waistband. The Pohutukawa flowers were inspired by the Framboise flower from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780972121804/Folded-Flowers. I am in desperate need of tops as well, so I'll make a tee at some stage - not sure if I'll embellish it to "match" or not.

As for my "Love is..." theme (which I will be doing given the engagement/wedding in the next few weeks), I had the idea last night of making beaded wine glass charms as part of the gifts, though that's as far as my thinking has gone (it was getting late :lol: )
Leanne

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”