March 2010 Craft Focus Ideas&Photos - Upcycling/ recycling

growingclothie
TNN oracle

March 2010 Craft Focus Ideas&Photos - Upcycling/ recycling

Post by growingclothie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:41 pm

What will you do?
Last edited by growingclothie on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

macca
TNN guru

Re: March 2010 Craft Focus Photos - Upcycling/ recycling

Post by macca » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 pm

i am planning on recycling a few pairs of Dh and my jeans into some kids ones :D
Melissa
Mum to Jack - born November 06 and Charlie - born May 09.
My blog http://maccafamily.blogspot.com

daikininz
TNN nerd

Post by daikininz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm recycling some pants into bags and other stuff. Sorry to be so vague, but what I'm doing is linked to something else I'm sorting out :D
Becca
Mum of MissK12, MrJ8, MrX6, MrJ5, MissC3
1 dog (Chester)

:PC: Find our blogs on parenting, geocaching and my creative efforts at narelo.com

Mama
TNN nerd

Post by Mama » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:25 pm

macca wrote:i am planning on recycling a few pairs of Dh and my jeans into some kids ones :D

great idea :D may do the same

i bought a beautifully embroidered tablecloth from the op shop with japanese people flying kites - the most amazing embroidery that i will probably use for a dress for one of my girls

daydream97
TNN guru

Post by daydream97 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:23 pm

macca wrote:i am planning on recycling a few pairs of Dh and my jeans into some kids ones :D

thats exactly what i was thinking of trying to do :D
Jenna
:girl: Miss Mikaela (03/09)
:angel: Dec 2010
:TNN2: Reuben owen (9/11)
:stork: 08/2013
blog - My family, crafts and Montessori journey :) -- http://ticefamilynz.blogspot.com/

nzwildchik69
TNN nerd

Re: March 2010 Craft Focus Ideas&Photos - Upcycling/ recycling

Post by nzwildchik69 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

im thinking of making my sisters baby a pair of pants out of a knit jersey that was brandnew and dd cut with scissors lol and downsizing a jersey i drown in into a kids cardi
Zita mum to :king: Haylen 11/11 :king: Denzel 03/08 and :queen: Kiara 05/05

Paws
TNN guru

Post by Paws » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I have some necklaces and bracelets that I don't use. I'm thinking of pulling them apart and using the beads to make something new.

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 pm

I done this last month, took DD's Billabong sweater that was in the Op Shop bag

and turned it into a hoodie for DS.

I have my months a bit mucked about but also made DD and DS some pants and shorts.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:20 am

Great idea 8-)

I found a long denim skirt in our garage at the end of last year ( :eh: I don't wear long skirts, and I don't keep clothes in the garage, so I'm not quite sure how it got there :? ) but anyhow, I cut it up and made it into denim pants for my daughter, and they turned out really well. They are probably one of my favourite things that I have made lately. Will take a pic and upload it later.
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Image Image Image

Sorry, the photos are a bit little. The waistband is elasticated both front and back. Where the lace is, the fabric below that is wider than the top of the leg, and so is gathered to fit. The higher up lace is at the front, and the lower lace is at the back. Pink ric-rac around the bottoms, and twin topstitched with bright pink thread. The denim is really lightweight, and has a very very slight stretch to it.
The pattern is part ottobre, part adjusted, and part made up :lol:

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:29 pm

jhcsmum wrote:I done this last month, took DD's Billabong sweater that was in the Op Shop bag

I was just thinking about your hoodie transformation, what are the sizes before and after? Have you completely cut the first one up and then cut the pattern pieces out of it? Or did you used the pieces kind of as they already were but just adjust them a bit sizewise?
Sorry about all the questions, I'm intrigued :D I have only ever cut stuff up and made it into something else, have never made something into a smaller version of itself.

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:56 am

I placed the pattern pieces roughly on the size 10 sweater and cut round them, using the cuffs and bottom ribbing at the bottom of those pieces and making the seams smaller, then it wasn't going to be long enough so I cut the band off and added in a bit with the billabong label on it and sewed the band back on, then I added the little pockets as the others were too high and put the zip in, made the hood smaller to fit the neck and sewed that on. Is about a size two now, fits my big 16mther.

He had worn his only hoodie to preschool and someone else has taken it home, so I needed another one and didn't have funds to buy an new one to be lost again, so recycled, if someone takes this one home it is very unique and will be easily spotted.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:11 pm

jhcsmum wrote:I placed the pattern pieces roughly on the size 10 sweater and cut round them, using the cuffs and bottom ribbing at the bottom of those pieces and making the seams smaller, then it wasn't going to be long enough so I cut the band off and added in a bit with the billabong label on it and sewed the band back on, then I added the little pockets as the others were too high and put the zip in, made the hood smaller to fit the neck and sewed that on. Is about a size two now, fits my big 16mther.

He had worn his only hoodie to preschool and someone else has taken it home, so I needed another one and didn't have funds to buy an new one to be lost again, so recycled, if someone takes this one home it is very unique and will be easily spotted.

wow, great idea you had, and the new hoodie looks great 8-)

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:06 am

So neat to see this thread! I've been absent with a wedding yesterday (and heaps of sewing for it which rather consumed me last week - shall upload photos soon).

I have a pair of jeans I scored off freecycle, not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. I borrowed a book from the Library (had to return last week) that had "99 projects from jeans", the only thing that really appealed was a wrap-around skirt, but I'm not sure that the tears in the jeans will work for that. So, it may end up becoming a bag or something.

And I have 2 pairs of taslon styled trackies of DH's in the box to be turned into trackies for James.

Great photos - I think we should start a separate gallery thread ;)

(thanks Admin team for creating this section :mrgreen: )
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

misstickle
TNN guru

Post by misstickle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Well Ive noticed that every single pair of Manaias winter flannelette pajamas from last year have lost all elastics and the bottoms are lighter in colour than the top half :rotfl: Not to mention they fit like 3/4 pants now.

So Im cutting them up and then will make a rag quilt from them. Depending on size it will be either doll size or lap size hehehe.
Formerly known as SPUNKBUBBLE

Laura - keeping up the trend of 'dodgy usernames' since 2007 ;)
Mum to Manaia and Jaye.

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”